Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting my MH this week, was wondering...

If I have a Genny running instead of EHU and plug in a Laptop to charge will it damage the charger or laptop? and the same question for Wifey's hair straighteners :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If the genny has inverter technology no problem..

cheapo genny you risk damaging sensitive electronics.. so I wouldn't risk a laptop .. hair straighteners should ok if no electronic heat control

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

cheapo genny you risk damaging sensitive electronics.. so I wouldn't risk a laptop .. hair straighteners should ok if no electronic heat control

Doubt it has an inverter, it's a "WOLF" bought quite some time ago, two stroke.

Can I buy and attach an inverter?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Doubt it has an inverter, it's a "WOLF" bought quite some time ago, two stroke.

Can I buy and attach an inverter?

no, an inverter converts 12v dc to 230v ac ...

inverter technology generators work the other way round.. ie generate 12v dc and convert to 230v ac

a 2 stroke is noisy and smelly, look around for a second hand 4 stoke with inverter technology ..

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
For charging my laptop in the Wagon I use a DC converter (12volt to 16 volt) I bought from Maplins.

If necessary (not often because of solar panels) I can use my genny to charge the Wagon batteries.

In this way I don't have to charge the laptop directly from the genny. (I could without a problem though 'cos mine is a Kipor...:winky:)

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ok so now I'm thinking... will a Genny without an inverter damage the on board battery charger?

If not, then can I use an inverter plugged onto the battery and then to the laptop?

I assume (don't know these things) the on board battery charger is 240v?

Which gets me to another question, why buy a 12v genny? or is that wired direct to the battery just to charge it, bypassing the 240v?

Am I making sense ? ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ok so now I'm thinking... will a Genny without an inverter damage the on board battery charger?

If not, then can I use an inverter plugged onto the battery and then to the laptop?

I assume (don't know these things) the on board battery charger is 240v?

Which gets me to another question, why buy a 12v genny? or is that wired direct to the battery just to charge it, bypassing the 240v?

Am I making sense ? ::bigsmile:

Some will say they have used cheap gennies with on board chargers with no problems, I certainly wouldn't risk it. On board chargers are just as sensitive to spikes as any other electronic kit .. and expensive to replace.

A 12 v genny is used to charge the batteries.. (as per discussion on Chris's thread)..
that is another approach.. charge the batteries then run 230v kit from an on board inverter ..

however, a 2kw inverter isn't a cheap item, especially if you buy a pure sine wave model. ..

Upvote 0

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

As JJ I use one of the 12volt laptop power supplies from Maplin. They do plug into a cigarette lighter socket, in my case it is set to 19volts out as required by my laptop. If you get one check it can supply the correct voltage and enough power for the laptop. Using one of these is much more efficient and flexible than using a 240 volt inverter and then using the standard laptop PSU.

As mentioned if you do need a 240 volt genny one with an inverter is the way to go. If you buy one which generates 240 volts directly it will have to run at 3,000 RPM to give the correct 50 Hz supply. This is not very efficient or reliable. One which generates 12 volts and has a built in inverter can run slower when less power is required as the inverter electronically controls the output supply.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

As mentioned if you do need a 240 volt genny one with an inverter is the way to go. If you buy one which generates 240 volts directly it will have to run at 3,000 RPM to give the correct 50 Hz supply. This is not very efficient or reliable. One which generates 12 volts and has a built in inverter can run slower when less power is required as the inverter electronically controls the output supply.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Ahh very helpful. I know what I need now. Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I have used a red kipor 3kw generator to supply power to my current and last two RV's.

I have used two laptop chargers, hdd recorders, and other sensitive electronic devices on this power.

The above setup is often frowned upon.

I have suffered no device failure etc. and I think the risk (if there is one) is overstated.

That is my opinion, ymmv

Bryan :Smile:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have used a red kipor 3kw generator to supply power to my current and last two RV's.

I have used two laptop chargers, hdd recorders, and other sensitive electronic devices on this power.

The above setup is often frowned upon.

I have suffered no device failure etc. and I think the risk (if there is one) is overstated.

That is my opinion, ymmv

Bryan :Smile:

There is a risk Bryan, a substantial risk if it is a cheapo without AVR (automatic voltage regulation)

I don't know much about Red Kipors , I know they are not inverter type.. but do they have AVR which should give a constant voltage and less risk of damaging electronics..

Upvote 0

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
There is a risk Bryan, a substantial risk if it is a cheapo without AVR (automatic voltage regulation)

I don't know much about Red Kipors , I know they are not inverter type.. but do they have AVR which should give a constant voltage and less risk of damaging electronics..

I don't know if they have AVR. All I know is that loads of people have changed/are changing from red kipors to yellow ones because of the alleged risk of damaging sensitive electronics.

My experiences make me believe that the risks are at best overstated.

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i do think that there is a risk of damage to sensitive electronics but the power stations don't use inverters they just generate a high voltage then reduce it via transformers.
if you have doubts get one of those surge protectors that that plugs in to a mains socket and run the sensitive stuff through that.

although most electronics nowadays have built in tolerances to small surges and voltage changes

get a good volt meter and check the voltages in your house over a period of time you may be surprised just what readings you get.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i do think that there is a risk of damage to sensitive electronics but the power stations don't use inverters they just generate a high voltage then reduce it via transformers.
if you have doubts get one of those surge protectors that that plugs in to a mains socket and run the sensitive stuff through that.

although most electronics nowadays have built in tolerances to small surges and voltage changes

Power stations generators have sophisticated and very accurate governors on their steam and gas turbines keeping the speed constant at 3000 rpm to give a frequency of 50hz irrespective of load.. the voltage is stepped up for transmission then stepped down at the local sub station .. no way can this level of control be compared to a cheap portable genny with no AVR

As said most kit can tolerate small voltage fluctuations.. but if a cheap genny goes wild we are not talking about a small voltage change.. the spike could easily blow anything connected to it. ..

The way I look at it is this.. I know there is a risk, albeit small, so I look at the potential cost of replacing damaged kit against the cost of a good quality inverter genny .. take the risk and cry if it goes wrong or spend a few hundred pounds to insure against it.. it's your money and your risk....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Power stations generators have sophisticated and very accurate governors on their steam and gas turbines keeping the speed constant at 3000 rpm to give a frequency of 50hz irrespective of load.. the voltage is stepped up for transmission then stepped down at the local sub station .. no way can this level of control be compared to a cheap portable genny with no AVR

As said most kit can tolerate small voltage fluctuations.. but if a cheap genny goes wild we are not talking about a small voltage cahnge.. the spike could easily blow anything connected to it. ..

The way I look at it is this.. I know there is a risk, albeit small, so I look at the potential cost of replacing damaged kit against the cost of a good quality inverter genny .. take the risk and cry if it goes wrong or spend a few hundred pounds to insure against it.. it's your money and your risk....

Jim..... I must agree with you on this, as I used two type of genies (None sine wave) when I was in the building game...one a 2.5 kw 4 stroke, and 1 a 850 w two stroke....in my haste to get on with the work I damaged two of my electric building tools through not waiting for the generators warm up... run for a while to settle into a even rpm ....... so now I have a 2kw kipor and a 10i Honda both pure sine wave and BOTH are great generators.... you may get away with it you may not but is worth the worry...when you could pick up a brand new Kipor 750w or a 1kw Kipor or other brands pure sine wave inverters for around £200 :Doh: all modern inverter sine wave generators are fine....

Mel:thumb:

Upvote 0

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Jim..... I must agree with you on this, as I used two type of genies (None sine wave) when I was in the building game...one a 2.5 kw 4 stroke, and 1 a 850 w two stroke....in my haste to get on with the work I damaged two of my electric building tools through not waiting for the generators warm up... run for a while to settle into a even rpm ....... so now I have a 2kw kipor and a 10i Honda both pure sine wave and BOTH great generators.... you may get away with it you may not but is worth the worry...when you could pick up a brand new Kipor 750w or a 1kw Kipor or other brands pure sine wave inverters for around £200 :Doh: all modern inverter sine wave generators are fine....

Mel:thumb:
OR you can get knock of one cheaper:winky::winky:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Got a link ? :)

Douzeper

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

there's some to go at...from about ..£120.........£280....:thumb :new :thumb:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Douzeper

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

there's some to go at...from about ..£120.........£280....:thumb :new :thumb:

These size genies are only good for keeping your battery topped up and other small items if not used all at once.
Now Generators maybe cheaper in the long run......but you will always need to buy petrol....and you hope your neighbour Motorhomer don't mind you next to them with the engine running.....or move a long way away from other campers!!
Solar panels are more expensive and two 110amp batteries but cheaper electricity,but after 4 years you may need new batteries....
You will also need a big enough 12v sine wave inverter to 230v for the wife's hairdryer curling tongs....which ever system you have...now for the laptop... I and many others use this item you can charge your laptop from your hab or cab 12v battery or run your laptop with out your battery from your 12v cigar plug if you have it set at the correct voltage (mine is 19v).....

Link Removed

Mel

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Basically want one for Wildcamping, music festivals, car shows where there is no EHU.

Phones - 12volt chargers
Fridge - gas
Cooking - gas
TV - 12volt (not yet bought and not really fussed about TV)

Laptop either of Genny or 12v DC

Hair Straighteners (wifes) used once a day, unplug everything else.

Am I missing anything?:)

So really I just need to keep the battery topped up with on board charger.

What Wattage of Genny would that require? 600 - 750 would surely be enough?

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That will be governed by the hair Straighteners in your list or any item requiring more power than those, check the wattage on the wifey things like hair dryers etc
75o watt will be no good if your hair dryers 900watts:Doh:
Remember a genny will produce slightly less watts than its marked at
ie round figures a 3000 watt makes about 2800
2000 watts aproxs 1800
1000watts about 800 etc
you are always better off buying bigger than you think you will need
a 1000 watt making 800watts will be running flat out
3000 making 800 watts will be ticking over

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
That will be governed by the hair Straighteners in your list or any item requiring more power than those, check the wattage on the wifey things like hair dryers etc
75o watt will be no good if your hair dryers 900watts:Doh:
Remember a genny will produce slightly less watts than its marked at
ie round figures a 3000 watt makes about 2800
2000 watts aproxs 1800
1000watts about 800 etc
you are always better off buying bigger than you think you will need
a 1000 watt making 800watts will be running flat out
3000 making 800 watts will be ticking over

Well Put Geo:thumb:....Mel

Upvote 0

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years

Jim,
Would the 4kw generator on RVs have inverter technology or does the same apply with regard to damage to laptops ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back