Generic Warning Light on Fiat Ducato (4 Viewers)

Esther_99

Free Member
Dec 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome64
Exp
Since 2014
Hi folks, our base vehicle is a Fiat Ducato 3.0 litre 160 multijet with a comfortmatic gearbox. 2011 plate.

We're house-sitting in France but we still use the motorhome for our weekly shopping trips. Recently, when I turn the ignition key, I get a generic warning triangle prior to starting the engine. The yellow triangle with the exclamation mark in.

If I start the engine the warning remains while I drive. However, if I remove the key and start again, it tends to vanish completely and doesn't come back. It also doesn't crop up at all if the engine is still warm.

The manual only suggests an oil pressure sensor issue, which it might well be.

The oil was on the low side just before lockdown, and I topped up a litre and a half, but made sure to use the appropriate specifications of oil even though I couldn't get the suggested brand.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the warning triangle thing on a Ducato base and what it turned out to be.

Also, I've read that because it's a yellow warning that it doesn't log as an error code? Is this true.

Many thanks,

Dan

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Does this help?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Sometimes these advisory’s come on for some small thing like tow bar connection fault. On our Ducato we can switch on the headlight switch and hold it on for a few seconds to clear it.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
There may or may not be an error code. You'd need to read with a diagnostic device to find out. If the light isn't coming on every time you start, or staying on, it does suggest something transient though.

Are you waiting for the instrument cluster to complete self diagnostics before you start the engine (turn on the ignition and wait for all the warning lights to extinguish before turning the starter)?

The warning light illuminating because the correct staring procedure as above hasn't been followed, or switching off the ignition and restarting within a couple of minutes or several times in a row without waiting for diagnostics to complete is a known issue, for which the Fiat approved repair is driver education ;)

OP
OP
Esther_99

Esther_99

Free Member
Dec 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome64
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you for the tips. I'll look into the headlight switch thing next time we head out. In terms of startup diagnostics or switching on again too soon, I think I'm on safe ground there. The warning, when it comes, illiuminates after the diagnostics 'complete' but before ignition.

Who knows? I doubt it's affecting the engine in any serious way but if it carries on I'll get it to a mechanic when non-essential services and such re-open. For now, it's getting us 5 miles to the nearest supermarket and back without a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back