Generators (1 Viewer)

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
Defitz

No mention of SDMO gennies-why is that ? They do a dual fuel gennie at half the Honda price-and surely LPG is the way to go.No carrying cans of petrol or diesel.
Mike.
:Cool: ah so --- most interesting ! SDMO are French (Brittany) builtl popular in france where widely sold in French B&Q equivalents. It certainly ain't noisy, has variable speed (2 speed) is pure sinewave and (Lawsons at just under £300 it seems as good a buy as anywhere for 900 RATED OUTPUT(MAX 1000) AS ANTHING -9000 WILL POWER A LOT OF THINGS: . There is a 2000k and (just released, a circa 3l all competitivly priced. Best of all the 1k is just 14 kilos. :Eeek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
I am off today to machine mart to have a look at this generator, sounds very interesting.:thumb:
Kennygd

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
kipor 2.6

Just bought a Kipor 2.6 ran it up on tick over not bad at all, then dial a bit of load and was surprised just how much the noise level increased.
Loaded it to 2kw and we could hear it 30yds away from inside the house.
I`m now making a sound insulated box for it, we reqally don`t want to inflict that on ourselves never mind any nearby neighbours.hardhat

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Robnchris,

How are you planning to vent and exhaust it?

I assume it's mechanical noise rather than Exhaust that is causing the problem.

I've often thought of making an additional silencer for mine but wary of the additional backpressure it might cause.

I'm interested in any designs that exist for silencing gennies.:thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hi Robnchris,

A longer EHU lead?

meerkat.jpg

Seemple! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A longer EHU lead?

There is no such thing as a quiet genny .. despite what the bumff says .. unless it's a solar panel :roflmto:

My EU 2I Honda is as quiet as a mouse on tickover.. put a good load on it and it is very noisy.
I'v had mine 50 mt away in a field behind a hedge and you can sill hear the bugger, noise travels a long way , especially on a quite aire

An acoustic hood MAY help, personally I don't think it would help much .. and you need to make sure it doesn't restrict the cooling air .. would be interesting if someone makes one and reports back ..

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Sound insulated box for Kipor genny

Hi Robnchris,

How are you planning to vent and exhaust it?

I assume it's mechanical noise rather than Exhaust that is causing the problem.

I've often thought of making an additional silencer for mine but wary of the additional backpressure it might cause.

Hi,
Made the box out of 3/8" plywood with some batterns glued and screwed, I will take it with us flat-packed, put it together with 3 screws aside so easy to assemble.

Haven`t insulated the box yet but has made it a lot quieter, have seen some insulation on e-bay so that is the next move.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Link Removed

Link Removed

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Hi,
Made the box out of 3/8" plywood with some batterns glued and screwed, I will take it with us flat-packed, put it together with 3 screws aside so easy to assemble.

Haven`t insulated the box yet but has made it a lot quieter, have seen some insulation on e-bay so that is the next move.

Link Removed

Link Removed

:Eeek: I think you might have big problems with the engine overheating. They are air cooled.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi,

]

That's a nice box, but does it not restrict the cooling air too much, have you run it on load for an hour or so to see if it didn't over heat ?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
overheating

Have run it for 30mins and was ok, anticipate over heating for longer times and also when the insulation has been added so intend to add some air vents to assist cooling.
Don`t see a problem here when they are added, as a thought could also cut the bottom leaving just the four corners as legs, (a bit like a dressing table), air can be drawn in at the bottom then add a vent at the top.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
It will be an even bigger problem when/if we get warm weather.

I fear that you will only know that it has been fried is when it packs up. There are no guages after all.

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
I would add a couple of large pc cooling fans (powered from the 12v) to that box, I dont reckon you'll hear it sieze up tho :thumb:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
You could rig up some 12V fans to assist the cooling and have them powered by a 100w Solar panel ::bigsmile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
solar genny combo

You could rig up some 12V fans to assist the cooling and have them powered by a 100w Solar panel ::bigsmile:

Ahhh this was the breakthru I was looking for, why didn`t I think of it.:notworthy:

The perfect solution to keeping the genny cool, er hang on I won`t be able to run the genny at night. :Doh:

Oh well back to the drawing board...Wait on just one minute another brain wave and oh boy this is a winner, comes with natural waterproof insulation, :RollEyes: should keep the the green brigade happy as it will merge in with the country background, :thumb: through flow ventilation to prevent overheating and totally mobile.:winky:
Fitting shouldn`t be too difficult :whatthe:

I present my new sound proof container.

Link Removed

I`ll be ready to take orders soon :thumb: :thumb:

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
honda , no subsitute

why does everyone say it is like a honda!!!!, must be good for people to liken their gennys to it ?:Cool:

reminds me of the vw advert, its like a volkswagon !, but its not one!:Doh:

honda excellent product , possibly the best small quite genny but does cost as all good investments do, the rest work and do the job so fine

never heard of any one not happy with a honda genny:thumb:

amused by the kippor coffin:ROFLMAO:maybe they should supply this with them for when they die !!!!!!!!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

Link Removed

Link Removed

Lovely bit of carpentry but isn't it going to get hot in there?

You're going to need some cooling fans at least,,,,

It's not impossible as I have seen it done before with other equipment....

Might just need a bit of thought on the cooling/exhaust side..

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Ahhh this was the breakthru I was looking for, why didn`t I think of it.:notworthy:

The perfect solution to keeping the genny cool, er hang on I won`t be able to run the genny at night. :Doh:

Oh well back to the drawing board...Wait on just one minute another brain wave and oh boy this is a winner, comes with natural waterproof insulation, :RollEyes: should keep the the green brigade happy as it will merge in with the country background, :thumb: through flow ventilation to prevent overheating and totally mobile.:winky:
Fitting shouldn`t be too difficult :whatthe:

I present my new sound proof container.

Link Removed

I`ll be ready to take orders soon :thumb: :thumb:
So......

How do you get the sheep to stay still long enough to shove the genny up it's +++++:RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
As you have now seen Kennygd. It matters not when this thread appears it becomes the same. The two on the market. The Honda, V the Kipor.

I believe that something like a genny you want to buy only once. Therefore, I bought a honda 1kw. its small enough to travel, quiet enough to not embarras me, and it powers Nikki,s hair dryer and straightening tongs. It charges the batteries and runs for hours and hours on a full tank.

If you want the best generator buy a Honda. if you want a genny then buy a kipor.

I might just add though that yamaha do a fantastic generator similar quality to the honda but slightly cheaper. Also briggs and Stratton do a nice suitcase genny but I though it a bit heavy compared to the Honda.

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I think Jim may be putting some info together on Genies soon. I would see what he says, there may be a certain quiet electric start range in there! .........​

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
gennys

As you have now seen Kennygd. It matters not when this thread appears it becomes the same. The two on the market. The Honda, V the Kipor.

I believe that something like a genny you want to buy only once. Therefore, I bought a honda 1kw. its small enough to travel, quiet enough to not embarras me, and it powers Nikki,s hair dryer and straightening tongs. It charges the batteries and runs for hours and hours on a full tank.

If you want the best generator buy a Honda. if you want a genny then buy a kipor.

I might just add though that yamaha do a fantastic generator similar quality to the honda but slightly cheaper. Also briggs and Stratton do a nice suitcase genny but I though it a bit heavy compared to the Honda.

Good points that just about sum it all up, we did make a compromise when we bought the Kipor, our criteria was "A" we wanted a genny for the motorhome, "B" we also wanted a genny we could use if we had a power cut at home, one sufficient to run the Fridge/freezer, central heating and some lighting.
The Kipor having a slightly higher output than the Honda and also being less than half the price made our minds up for us.
Time will only tell if we made the right decision or not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back