warningsign.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 42
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I dont know if this is any good.:blonde2: Gennys are not my thing.
But this came through on an advert from Aldi for £59.99. It said it was for caravan use , so i suppose you could use it on a MH.
We have a Honda EU201 By the way , but prefer to use batteries and solar panel.
Bev Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• generator.jpg
    generator.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mine printed at 1"x1":Doh:

Attachments

• warningsign1.jpg
    warningsign1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 25

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I dont know if this is any good.:blonde2: Gennys are not my thing.
But this came through on an advert from Aldi for £59.99. It said it was for caravan use , so i suppose you could use it on a MH.
We have a Honda EU201 By the way , but prefer to use batteries and solar panel.
Bev Link Removed

Thats the one I was considering as I only want to charge my battery occasionally.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Mine printed at 1"x1":Doh:

hmm .. me thinks need to adjust your printer settings before hitting 'print' :roflmto:

could save you a few bob in the workshop, I know how expensive pukka warning signs are ..

I used to do all the signs for the factory .. just before an HSE visit :roflmto:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Aldi Special

I would be very surprised if, at that price, the Aldi special uses inverter technology to output a pure stable sine-wave. The fact that it states 'constant output' suggests that it runs at a constant 3,000 rpm to drive a conventional small generator unit. The problem with this type (assuming it is) is that both the voltage and wave-form are unstable. As a load is applied, the voltage falls whilst the system 'catches up'; similarly, when a load is reduced, voltage rises. Also, complex loads cause the wave-form to deform.

This is not a problem as long as you do not want to run sensitive equipment. However, most modern motorhomes use switched-mode electronics in their on-board chargers and these can be sensitive to power surges and poor wave-forms. The cost of re-building a Schaudt Elektroblock for example, is a lot more than the cost of this cheap gennie! So if you want to re-charge the leisure batteries by plugging the gennie into the EHU point, I would say take care, and I would not do it. Alternatively, you could disconnect the batteries from the MH circuit and connect the 12V leads direct from the gennie (they are supplied with it according to the ad). But I would not expect to get a very high charging current this way - almost certainly a lot less than the on-board charger supplies. This will extend charging time.

So on balance, I would get a Kipor 1KVa Sinemaster (wash my mouth) if you want a safe low-cost option, or consider a Planet Generator or of course the Red Giant Honda. All these can be plugged into the EHU point as they deliver stable 'mains'.

Sorry this is a bit long-winded, but having just done all the research (and bought a Honda EU10i) I thought it might be of use.

Philip

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Have you tried a Honda one ? ---12 volt charge lead------ although I have not compared mine ( Kipor & Honda) they do look like the same----I wil try to check mine this weekend.
You DON'T get one free with a honda, so any honda genny dealer will have them. Ours cost about £20 ----very dear for what it is (imho)
Nigel & Pamala

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Many thanks for an interesting and informative post

T

Tony60

Deleted User
The best Kippers come from Craster on the Nortumberland coast.

You just can't beat a Craster Kipper for breakfast...

oops wrong kipper:Blush:
No they don't they come from Great Yarmouth ,Norfolk ! Maybe though Craster buys them from Great Yarmouth !!:RollEyes: Tony A

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Generator covers

Hi All

Just bought a dog carrier for our generator, I know it sounds daft but it is just like the ones you can buy for generators.
The 2 ends zip down and there are mesh flaps on both side for exghaust outlet and plug sockets and switch on/off button. Thought it was a bargain from Tesco's @ only £12.(larger one @ £15
Hubby tried it in and it fit's!! deal of the week:thumb::thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

With all the talk about types of generators just how sensitive are the alternators fitted on the motorhomes engine, could they damage the charging circuits on the motorhomes control panels etc,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
highly unlikely unless the alternator is faulty.

if they did cause damage the convertors wouldnt connect the leisure wiring to the engines charging system (via leisure battery)

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve got two hondas one is a suitcase 800 watt type old but works gettin a bit smoky now tho.
also have a 2.5kw frame type use this for work on site and for power cuts.
We once ran it for 3 weeks when we lived in the sticks and the power lines came down it ran from 7 in the morning to 10 at night used 3 gallon a daybut we had lights and heating workin, kept the fridge and freezer running:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Is hubby quite small then ? or are the carriers quite big ?

Re plugs..

I had a similar problem
All I did was change the socket to one that I could get plugs for.. Bought the bits from a caravan shop.. total cost £5.50 !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is hubby quite small then ? or are the carriers quite big ?

Re plugs..

I had a similar problem
All I did was change the socket to one that I could get plugs for.. Bought the bits from a caravan shop.. total cost £5.50 !

i went one better....roadrunner (john) had two 16a sockets on his kipor...i had two 13a sockets.

1/2 hour later we both had one of each....two happy funsters :thumb:

i use my Genny for all sorts so if i need two 13a sockets i bought one of these....

Attachments

• IMG_1182 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1182 (Large).JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1183 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1183 (Large).JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1181 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1181 (Large).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 14

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thats a good idea John..
I have two 16amp sockets on mine but also have converter leads on them..

Val, that is just wicked ... I hope you take him walkies and let him sniff other husbands bums !!!!

Jan 17, 2010
Sheffield South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Cheap 2 stroke gennies

Hi
after suffering a flat leisure battery I used my Rolson 2 stroke to charge it up via the 230volt input on my motorhome!! :cry:
BIG MISTAKE went and shot the Electroblok. Just cost £115 at Schaudt to repair. Looked at Kipor 2.0 the dealer started her up and we walked away saying no thanks, bought Honda EU 2.0i of ebay for £625 cannot hear it on eco throttle
"THE BIG RED BOX" wins hands down:thumb:

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
defitzdats American yes look for a converter p;lug -avoid airports rip off but I@

I agree,

I have the 1000 but trying to get the odd 12v flat pin plug so I can make up a longer charger lead, anyone know where to get one?

:thumb:
YES TRY SUPERMARKET -THINK i SAW IN asda OR MAYBE TESCO
WHAT YOU NEED IS ONE ADAPTER SIMPLE IS 3 PIN BRIT TO FLAT AMERICAN IF NOTHING ELSE THEN SO CALLED WORLD WIDE ADAPTERS....DONT BUY AT AIRPORT UNLESS U ARE VERY RICH :ROFLMAO:

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
defitzi

The best Kippers come from Craster on the Nortumberland coast.

You just can't beat a Craster Kipper for breakfast...

oops wrong kipper:Blush:
If U were North of Paris u might enjoy Manx Kippers -unlike Manx cats, their tails are very edible! :roflmto:

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
defitzi

I would be very surprised if, at that price, the Aldi special uses inverter technology to output a pure stable sine-wave. The fact that it states 'constant output' suggests that it runs at a constant 3,000 rpm to drive a conventional small generator unit. The problem with this type (assuming it is) is that both the voltage and wave-form are unstable. As a load is applied, the voltage falls whilst the system 'catches up'; similarly, when a load is reduced, voltage rises. Also, complex loads cause the wave-form to deform.

This is not a problem as long as you do not want to run sensitive equipment. However, most modern motorhomes use switched-mode electronics in their on-board chargers and these can be sensitive to power surges and poor wave-forms. The cost of re-building a Schaudt Elektroblock for example, is a lot more than the cost of this cheap gennie! So if you want to re-charge the leisure batteries by plugging the gennie into the EHU point, I would say take care, and I would not do it. Alternatively, you could disconnect the batteries from the MH circuit and connect the 12V leads direct from the gennie (they are supplied with it according to the ad). But I would not expect to get a very high charging current this way - almost certainly a lot less than the on-board charger supplies. This will extend charging time.

So on balance, I would get a Kipor 1KVa Sinemaster (wash my mouth) if you want a safe low-cost option, or consider a Planet Generator or of course the Red Giant Honda. All these can be plugged into the EHU point as they deliver stable 'mains'.

Sorry this is a bit long-winded, but having just done all the research (and bought a Honda EU10i) I thought it might be of use.

Philip

Did someone say "just want to charge battery...."
Yes -it will. safely. 6o quid's worth of always start, never be stuck. It will do a few other things, like power lighting, but it ain't suitable delicate instruments, electronics etc, Noisy-yes but who the hell cares when your battery is FLAT!:shout:

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
defitzi

Hi All

Just bought a dog carrier for our generator, I know it sounds daft but it is just like the ones you can buy for generators.
The 2 ends zip down and there are mesh flaps on both side for exghaust outlet and plug sockets and switch on/off button. Thought it was a bargain from Tesco's @ only £12.(larger one @ £15
:Eeek: does it come with dog supplied???
Love to see it -not in my tesco:Angry:.

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
defitzi

:RollEyes:Just been down the genny forum ; thanks all info -useful to me as advisor-journalist see what other saying, doing, thinking but only one (passing) reference to the British made Planet generator! Why I wonder does no one else mention Planet- British, supersine, streets ahead of the Japanese and others for far less monies; and quiet yes 56 dcb rating so really quiet. Planet, I hear,:winky: is ready to market the FIRST ever electric start suitcase generator! Reports I get about existing Planet gennies are nothing short of raves, with much praise for their back-up and helpline-free just 'fon! Honda is ok in my book-and pretty long-lasting but at a price... I have a Honda bike (a classic 400 c m '78) a little Honda 350ex 4stroke charger, and a brace of Honda 5 / 4stroke hp outboards for my boats and I've had a host of the two stroke cheapies: all worked well enough for lighting, charging and a few other jobs-if noisy but so who cares apart from caravan park residents...
Since I never use caravan sites (I am Continental and Ireland based) and use genny only during day when necessary-I have oodles of solar power and masses of battery storage along with gas, available on land or water. I run fridges, lights, tvs tools, cooking, heating -anything whenever I want in -20 or + 40.
I now need another Genny but this time it will be British built -IE Planet. So I'll vote with my feet:ROFLMAO:and support home industries if they are as good or better, and cheaper than foreign built articles
Like if I had the cash, I'd never again have anything but a Brit-built Bentley or Roller-I did have a 30/50 Rolls Royce way back and later, a Bentley R, and several British- built pre 1939 cars (Jaguar, Riley, Rover, Morris and one post war Rover 75- never, ever in a long list of vehicles in my lifetime (I'se 73) have I had better bar my now 36 yearold Merc/Hymer but that's a delivery truck! And if converting today it would be LDV -asap! :thumb:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
These generators sold by Machine Mart look suspiciously like the Planet ones :Smile:

Attachments

• clarke generator.jpg
    clarke generator.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 15

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
No mention of SDMO gennies-why is that ? They do a dual fuel gennie at half the Honda price-and surely LPG is the way to go.No carrying cans of petrol or diesel.

Mike.

defitz

Free Member
Feb 25, 2010
Funster No
Exp
more than most of ye-50+
Defitz

Interesting little genny.

Has anyone got one?

Link Removed
:thumb:NOPE BUT HAVE NOTICED IT FOR ONLY £259 VAT SAW AN AD ON PRELOVED CLAIMING IT IS HONDA UNDER CLARKE NAME. HAVE TRIED FIND CLARKE CONFIRM/DENY NO LUCK SO FAR. but I THAT IS SO. THERE IS A FAIRLY UNBIASED REVIEW-LIKE IT COVERS PROS AND CONS IN FAIR FASHION GOOGLE CLARKE GENERATOR REVIEWS (I THINK IT IS MOTORHOME FACTS) TH REVIEW AYS IT ALL BUT AT THE PRICE? WELL IT COULD BE OK-IN A BUI;DERS YARD!:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back