Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:Good day to all,
Is anyopne using a generator and if you are what size are you using? as a back up I will need to run the fridge/freezer, TV and a bit of lighting mainly, anyone recommend a good make?
Thanks
Kennygd:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this will go down well....

BUY A KIPOR !!!!!!

2200watt Kipor = c£450

2200watt Honda = c£1000

over £500 more for a quieter silencer :Eeek:

this is the model i use to run all the electrics including the roof aircon unit.

Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:Smile:Good day to all,
Is anyopne using a generator and if you are what size are you using? as a back up I will need to run the fridge/freezer, TV and a bit of lighting mainly, anyone recommend a good make?
Thanks
Kennygd:thumb:

Ohh dear I feel another long Kipor versus Honda debate coming on :roflmto:

I'll kick off..

IMO .. you want the best ? ... buy a Honda.. In saying that there are plenty of happy Kipor owners . ... or so they say :ROFLMAO:

As for size, I have a 2kw ...which I used recently during a power cut at home, fridge, freezer TV etc all running from it .. bigger than that are heavy and unwieldy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Hi
i have just bought a 2kva hyundai generator 58 db @7mtr priced at 449.99 yet to load it but tried it in the garden to see how noisey it was

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Put bicycle on a stand then attach an alternator to rear wheel and tell her indoors that if she wants to watch Corrie she has about 4 hours of pedalling to do:ROFLMAO:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"HONDA"

..Rules..

:whistle:

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
I have had my KIPOR 1kw for 2 years and it's only been used a couple of times, and has served well topping up my batteries the odd time or so.
nice size not too heavy.... check out before buying one that needs a crane to lift

Yes the Honda is the one to have!!

but if you are only going to use it now and again and your life doesn't rely on it , then buy the yellow half price honda clone!!.:thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
we have had (and been happy with) a 2.6 Kipor for 2 years, and although we will keep it for 'heavy work' we have just lashed out on a 900w Honda, it will power what we have to have and only weighs 13kgs, and will only sip fuel to keep us running.
Nigel & Pamala

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
It's a wonder nobody has come up with a generator that uses the vans engine (just think of the power :RollEyes::RollEyes: 2-3-4-5................. Kwatts) instead of struggling lugging these yellow or red boxes. I'm sure somebody could come up with something that you could engage with the engine to produce electricity. Even if the initial outlay was high the convenience of being able to just start the engine & flip a switch instead of messing filling it with petrol, plugging cables in & then trying to start it :Blush:. The other alternative is just have a decent sized inverter & run the engine while your using it :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's a wonder nobody has come up with a generator that uses the vans engine (just think of the power :RollEyes::RollEyes: 2-3-4-5................. Kwatts) instead of struggling lugging these yellow or red boxes. I'm sure somebody could come up with something that you could engage with the engine to produce electricity. Even if the initial outlay was high the convenience of being able to just start the engine & flip a switch instead of messing filling it with petrol, plugging cables in & then trying to start it :Blush:. The other alternative is just have a decent sized inverter & run the engine while your using it :Eeek:

imagine the fuel consumption on a 7ltr V10 RV petrol engine...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
kipor v Honda

Hi All,

Just a point that might help, the kipor is larger in size than the Honda.
ie. kipor ig 1000 = 460 L x 248 w x 395 h weighs 14kg. price £275.

Kipor 2000 = 520 L x 300 w x 425h weighs 22kg. price £375.

Kipor 2600 = 564 L x 317 w x 453 h weighs 26kg. price £475.

Kipors come with 2 yrs warranty.

Honda eu10i = [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]450 L x 240 w x 380 h weighs 13kg. price approx £645.[/FONT]

Honda eu2000i = 510 L x 290 w x 425h and weighs 21kg. price approx £1020.

Hondas have a 5yrs warranty though this could depend from where you purchase.

Hope this helps.

Rob and Chris.

JQL

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
South of Paris
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
The best Kippers come from Craster on the Nortumberland coast.

You just can't beat a Craster Kipper for breakfast...

oops wrong kipper:Blush:

Jul 9, 2009
Weymouth,Dorset
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano T700
Exp
20yrs+

They have its called an electrolux unit made by a company called Mase, still available today, no idea of cost etc, try googling it.:Eeek::RollEyes:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
kipor

Kipor 2600 just arrived, mmhh a tad larger than I thought it might be :whatthe:

Still it`s a lovely yellow and sooo quiet, mind you we haven`t started it yet. :ROFLMAO:

Just have to decide where we are going to keep the bloody thing...:Doh:

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
KIPOR - Every time.
  • Cheaper (you can buy 2 and half for the price of one Honda).
  • Almost as quiet - well who's going to split hairs over a few decibels?
  • No-one will ever nick it with forums like this and if ever it is you will see it for miles before it disappears in the sunset.
  • Reliable - always start after a couple of pulls
  • Likely to outlive a Honda by donkey's years - like VW Camper does in the motorhome world.
We have the 2600 and are more than happy with it. A bit like the working man's Mason's.:thumb:

Biker

Free Member
Apr 10, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
Exp
12v plug

KIPOR - Every time.
  • Cheaper (you can buy 2 and half for the price of one Honda).
  • Almost as quiet - well who's going to split hairs over a few decibels?

I agree,

I have the 1000 but trying to get the odd 12v flat pin plug so I can make up a longer charger lead, anyone know where to get one?

:thumb:

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Norton........same thing happened to them,didn't it ,when Honda turned up....now its KIPOR !!?

Have you tried a caravan shop ? or even B&Q ? ::bigsmile:

Biker

Free Member
Apr 10, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
Exp
Have you tried a caravan shop ? or even B&Q ? ::bigsmile:

Tried everywhere and searched the web,, no luck

Something like this

Attachments

• 2024300_w[1].JPG
    2024300_w[1].JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 24

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
have you tried the guy on here who runs planet generators? he usually has a solution

members name planetgen

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Recently asked the auto electrician the same question, which is best as I have a honda 1.0 and a Kippor 2. KW. He replied unless you run air con units, or a microwave. A 1kw one is ample. Also they charge the leisure batteries through the M/Home unit at about 10 amps. The engine altenator however puts out 70 amps. So he recomended that I run the engine when needed, and manage without. The Honda runs everything with lots to spare, and less than a gallon a day, compared to two gallon with the Kippor.
Rgd's Graham.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I agree,

I have the 1000 but trying to get the odd 12v flat pin plug so I can make up a longer charger lead, anyone know where to get one?

:thumb:

does it look like this one (look in genny spares)Link Removed

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Recently asked the auto electrician the same question, which is best as I have a honda 1.0 and a Kippor 2. KW. He replied unless you run air con units, or a microwave. A 1kw one is ample. Also they charge the leisure batteries through the M/Home unit at about 10 amps. The engine altenator however puts out 70 amps. So he recomended that I run the engine when needed, and manage without. The Honda runs everything with lots to spare, and less than a gallon a day, compared to two gallon with the Kippor.
Rgd's Graham.

This is exactly what I have thought and done a few times purely to charge the leasure battery. Seems to give it a good boost even after 15mins or so and cant use that much deisel on tickover. Does anyone know how long you would have to tick over for to charge a leasure battery from 1/2 to full. ??

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
This is exactly what I have thought and done a few times purely to charge the leasure battery. Seems to give it a good boost even after 15mins or so and cant use that much deisel on tickover. Does anyone know how long you would have to tick over for to charge a leasure battery from 1/2 to full. ??

I understand that the priority of the alternator is to charge the vehicle battery and it will then reduce to a trickle charge. You will therefore get a good initial charge to your leisure battery and then near nil, so a prolonged tick over is just a waste of fuel.

Experts????

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
I understand that the priority of the alternator is to charge the vehicle battery and it will then reduce to a trickle charge. You will therefore get a good initial charge to your leisure battery and then near nil, so a prolonged tick over is just a waste of fuel.

Experts????

Oh well thats that theory out the window then :Doh:
Will an 850W genny be sufficient to charge the leasure battery and run the lights and how long would it be on for full charge as above

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The main point here is that running a diesel engine for extended periods without load is not good for it. This is the condition that would apply if you leave the engine ticking over in order to charge the battery. I understand that the cylinder bores become coated with a hard varnish-like residue that affects compression, performance and life of the engine.

Philip

p.s. on my Hymer, the alternator charges the leisure batteries at high current for quite a long time when on the move. I guess it may be to do with the particular control mechanism, which is factory standard. I do not have a Sterling Battery-to-Battery charger fitted, or any other after-market gadgetry.

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
probably be shot down here but.....running a alternator will put a load on the engine, OK not as much as pulling the whole shebang about but maybe up to 25hp consumption when really charging an engine and I always thought that diesel engines were invented for static use running at fixed RPM's...

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
probably be shot down here but.....running a alternator will put a load on the engine, OK not as much as pulling the whole shebang about but maybe up to 25hp consumption when really charging an engine and I always thought that diesel engines were invented for static use running at fixed RPM's...

I am no expert, but I understand that diesel engines optimised for generator use, have different characteristics to those used in vehicles. They are designed to run at much lower speed for a start. Also, a large generator will put quote a load on the engine (most diesel generators are big ones - certainly they are a lot bigger than an alternator).

After a bit of searching, I found the link below, that whilst aimed at boat owners, anwers some of the questions.

Philip

http://coxengineering.co.uk/bore.aspx

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Kipor 2kva ( or 2.2, canna remember )

I am a Honda man.. I earn my living due entirely to one model of Honda bike.. Love em to bits and build quality is amazing

However..................................

I bought my Kipor at a show for £275.
It has not blinked once since I bought it ( and I would expect the Honda to be even better )
The thing is that, being realistic, I can buy THREE Kipors and still have change over the one Honda
And no matter what, even the most anti-Kipor person in the world would have to admit that it would be bloody amazing if Kipor produced a bit of kit so unreliable it would fail in a 3 to 1 ration with even the mighty Honda.
My genny keeps the water heater, on board heating and all the other bits and bobs going just fine ( though I do turn off the water heater when woman wants to nuke something in the microwave as I reckon that might make it grunt a bit !)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Is 65db at 7m quiet or not ???

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Is 65 db at 7m quiet or not?

That's quite loud, but not painfully so. The decibel is a complex unit of measurement, firstly because it is a logarithmic unit, and secondly because it can be applied to three different definitions of sound.
A log unit increases exponentially: i.e. each single unit increase means a proportional increase over the unit below it - it's not linear.
Decibels can be used to measure Loudness (perceived) and that's what we are most interested in: sound pressure, and acoustic intensity. The reason for mentioning this complication is that not all specifications are based on the loudness measure, but let's assume for the purposes of this answer that you are considering a generator where the loudness at 7m is specified.

By comparison (and I hate to mention the Red Giant) the Honda EU10i and EU20i both produce 52 db at 7 metres under rated load (900W and 1.6 KW respectively). So the one you are considering is 65 - 52 = 13 db louder. Now owing to the logarithmic effect, the extra 13 db means it will sound almost 2.5 times as loud as the Honda. Not just 25% louder, which you might expect by comparing the simple differences between the two db numbers.

If you want to read up on decibels, I have attached a link to a website that contains detailed explanations and a calculator.

Philip

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back