Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I always feel like getting out the popcorn when I see such a thread as this - I know that I'll be in for a good read::bigsmile:

Generators are like Marmite - that much is clear, and no matter what you say, generator haters will hate generators, and there's nothing you'll ever say that will change their mind. It's axiomatic, that as soon as a thread such as this starts, it's going to receive many replies, either for, or against, and quite often one or two Irate ones. Any opinion is perfectly valid, whether you agree or disagree.

Me?? Personally, I have nothing against generators whatsoever. Before the advent of solar panels, they were much more prevalent. I've camped many times next to a unit running a generator during the day, and the noise really isn't intrusive. Once or twice, I've been next to a unit running at night. It doesn't happen very often, and even at night the noise is tolerable. No one complains about the noise from waves crashing on the beach, or from a nearby fast flowing river, yet these are much noisier, and can't be switched off.

Regarding the necessity of a generator - I can quite understand the situations where they can be deemed necessary, but I've never felt the urge to buy one.

My 80w solar panel and LED bulb combination provide more than enough power for my wife and I to enjoy a week going wild. We cook with gas, and use 12v sparingly, though we don't ration power for the casette or water pump.

We don't use the telly at all when wilding, indeed we rarely use it even on a hook up. I actually like to go away just to avoid all the 'must haves' of modern day life, ie, computers, televisions, mobile phones, electronic games etc. A good, enjoyable day out of doors, followed by a few hours with a good book and some excellent food are really all I wish for when I'm out and about.

Generators are here to stay, love them or hate them, getting antsy will do absolutely nothing to make them go away, and will only raise your blood pressure:RollEyes:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe I've made a mistake starting this thread up again, but looking for some advice.
We're planning to go to disney this christmas where we will surely freeze!:winky:

Anyway, we have one 85ah battery at the moment. We will be using some lighting in the evening, say 2hrs a day and obviously have the water pump. Heating is not blown so no power drain, just the gas for that.
We have original lights, so tubes in the ceiling and I think halogen in the cabinet fittings...(does this sound right?:Blush:)
How much power would these use, say every hour, and which are best to use (lowest power drain?).

Also we may want to put on a DVD to entertain our son (keep him out the way!) when were sorting things like dinner. We have a portable DVD player which we usually run from a small cigarette lighter inverter when we're driving for him or to charge the battery.

Now, does the battery charge when the engine is on and idling, and would this be ok to run/charge the portable DVD also without killing the engine battery?
Or should we get a cheap GENERATOR (got to the topic eventually)?

Thanks

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The tubes will give you more light per watt than the halogen ones, you only have to touch one of those thats been on for a few minutes to realise these are really heaters and the light is just a by-product:roflmto:.
I have a really cheap genny, I think it was about £50 and yes it is two stroke, mainly for use at the shows as running out in the early hours when its freezing is no joke (heating on my van needs 12v leccy to run). I have only had to use it once,(during the day of course, and you can't hear it above the noise of everyone elses) and it is only for emergency. I have now managed to squeeze in a second 110Ah battery so hopefully should not need it at all. I would like some decent solar but cannot afford at the moment.:Sad:
Maybe I've made a mistake starting this thread up again, but looking for some advice.
We're planning to go to disney this christmas where we will surely freeze!:winky:

Anyway, we have one 85ah battery at the moment. We will be using some lighting in the evening, say 2hrs a day and obviously have the water pump. Heating is not blown so no power drain, just the gas for that.
We have original lights, so tubes in the ceiling and I think halogen in the cabinet fittings...(does this sound right?:Blush:)
How much power would these use, say every hour, and which are best to use (lowest power drain?).

Also we may want to put on a DVD to entertain our son (keep him out the way!) when were sorting things like dinner. We have a portable DVD player which we usually run from a small cigarette lighter inverter when we're driving for him or to charge the battery.

Now, does the battery charge when the engine is on and idling, and would this be ok to run/charge the portable DVD also without killing the engine battery?

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I brought a cheap genny 4 years ago from Macro £42 I only used it once on my first motor home, yes it's 2 stroke but not too loud. I also used a multi socket lead with a built in anti surge device to protect the electronics. My new motorhome I've fitted extra battery and 800watt inverter(£43 again from Macro. We have just been away for 7days and didn't run out of 12 volt power at all. My 2stroke Genny is now there for a stand by.

John.

Last edited:
S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
I always feel like getting out the popcorn when I see such a thread as this - I know that I'll be in for a good read::bigsmile:

Generators are like Marmite - that much is clear, and no matter what you say, generator haters will hate generators, and there's nothing you'll ever say that will change their mind. It's axiomatic, that as soon as a thread such as this starts, it's going to receive many replies, either for, or against, and quite often one or two Irate ones. Any opinion is perfectly valid, whether you agree or disagree.

Me?? Personally, I have nothing against generators whatsoever. Before the advent of solar panels, they were much more prevalent. I've camped many times next to a unit running a generator during the day, and the noise really isn't intrusive. Once or twice, I've been next to a unit running at night. It doesn't happen very often, and even at night the noise is tolerable. No one complains about the noise from waves crashing on the beach, or from a nearby fast flowing river, yet these are much noisier, and can't be switched off.

Regarding the necessity of a generator - I can quite understand the situations where they can be deemed necessary, but I've never felt the urge to buy one.

My 80w solar panel and LED bulb combination provide more than enough power for my wife and I to enjoy a week going wild. We cook with gas, and use 12v sparingly, though we don't ration power for the casette or water pump.

We don't use the telly at all when wilding, indeed we rarely use it even on a hook up. I actually like to go away just to avoid all the 'must haves' of modern day life, ie, computers, televisions, mobile phones, electronic games etc. A good, enjoyable day out of doors, followed by a few hours with a good book and some excellent food are really all I wish for when I'm out and about.

Generators are here to stay, love them or hate them, getting antsy will do absolutely nothing to make them go away, and will only raise your blood pressure:RollEyes:

Everyone seems to assume that the people that don’t like generators object to the noise. Well that is not the case for me, what I object to is the fumes, if you have ever had to watch someone die from cancer you will understand, it took my Mother two years to die at the age of 68 from cancer, not very old, and I could do nothing to help her or relieve her pain. So before you start your generator or even purchase one, think of the children playing nearby or in a van nearby they may be my Grandchildren that my Mother did not live long enough to see.

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Generator PM From Shubberdog

icon1.gif
You asked me to PM you
Everyone seems to assume that the people that don’t like generators object to the noise. Well that is not the case for me, what I object to is the fumes, if you have ever had to watch someone die from cancer you will understand, it took my Mother two years to die at the age of 68 from cancer, not very old, and I could do nothing to help her or relieve her pain. So before you start your generator or even purchase one, think of the children playing nearby or in a van nearby they may be my Grandchildren that my Mother did not live long enough to see. I would also like to point out that the fumes also aggravate asthma something that my wife suffers from and the fumes from generators can make her quite ill. But don’t let that worry you carry on running your generator so you can watch the simpsons.

By the way my VW dose not produce any fumes when it is parked up in a field near other campers.
I would also like to point out that in my original post I just pointed out that generators cause theses problems I did not launch into a personal attack on anyone as you did on me. I also think that anyone asking for advise on generators should be aware of that fact and that they will make themselves unpopular

Oh and you can smoke yourself to death as far as I am concerned (that's what you are doing anyway)

I Do not feel that I really want to answer your PM reference Generators. The reason that I asked you, and if you check the thread was inform me as where you would be travelling, so that I could ensure that I was not in the same area, and if I had to run my Generator, it would not cause you problems.

Some, If not all reply threads to Generators seem to be regarding noise and not health issues.

This is a forum and people come on here to ask questions, and hopefully received information that will help them make choices before spending their hard earned money. Not to be lambasted for there choice of item that they wish to purchase.

Ant&Debs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Everyone seems to assume that the people that don’t like generators object to the noise. Well that is not the case for me, what I object to is the fumes, if you have ever had to watch someone die from cancer you will understand, it took my Mother two years to die at the age of 68 from cancer, not very old, and I could do nothing to help her or relieve her pain. So before you start your generator or even purchase one, think of the children playing nearby or in a van nearby they may be my Grandchildren that my Mother did not live long enough to see.

I am sorry for your loss, I take it then you do not ave a car or m/home? these give out the same fumes as a 4 stroke genny so the same argument applies, don't use a 4 stroke vehicle. When we have to use a genny we always position it so that any fumes are away from anyone near us. :Smile::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am sorry for your loss, I take it then you do not ave a car or m/home? these give out the same fumes as a 4 stroke genny so the same argument applies, don't use a 4 stroke vehicle. When we have to use a genny we always position it so that any fumes are away from anyone near us. :Smile::thumb:

Indeed, and far less toxins and particulates , a 50cc petrol 4 stroke genny versus a 3,000cc diesel motorhome..

That doesn't make it right to run close or upwind from your neighbours, but lets keep it in prospective and live and let live.

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back