Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I am at the Haganap meet (great time had by all !!) and am impressed with these little Honda gennies that are about...I WANT ONE !!!....so where is the best place to buy and how much do they cost ????......:thumb:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
the honda ones cost a heck of a lot, pick a number and double it, and add a zero to the end :)

if you dont need to run it all the time, then one of the many clones can be had much cheaper, kippor is now good according to most (used to be bad, cheap modified square wave inverter section that dammaged sensative electronics, and the engine was very cheaply built, had very bad valve seats that ment they couldent run on lpg... not sure if the new yellow ones have sorted that out... i'd only consider buying a genny that can run on lpg as i have the bits to do it)

clarke do one for about £250 i believe, that's machine mart,
at the newark show there was a 1kw one for £199, and the 2kw one for £299, but at the stratford show they'd both gone up by 100 quid, prolly not the same vendor, but the same genny... that blue one by something power,

if you want a genny for really occasional use, then one of the little 2 stroke gennies might be all you need, i have one i built into my van, gives a max of 900 watts, but a realistic 700 watts output, but it can handle being overloaded (i accidentaly had it running my 1kw immersion heater and the 20 amp battery charger once, and it just sounded chugged away, got warmer than usual but kept on going)

runs about 6 or 7 hours on a gallon of fuel, and can be had for 50 quid from B&Q, or 199 from motorfactors with a sealy paint job (they are all the same underneath) makro do them for 30 quid every now and then, but add vat to that price)

the little 2 stroke gennies are not much louder than the hondas, i have a scooters end can to weld onto my gennies exhaust, should make it even quieter, but i'm doing it mainly to re-direct the exhaust from blowing against my waste tank.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

I bought my Honda EU20i from here

Link Removed

or if you want something a bit cheaper try Machine Mart

Link Removed

Kipor are also popular

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

shifter

Free Member
Jan 18, 2009
wee island across pond NI
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
3 years
I am at the Haganap meet (great time had by all !!) and am impressed with these little Honda gennies that are about...I WANT ONE !!!....so where is the best place to buy and how much do they cost ????......:thumb:[/QUOTE
buy the best
buy it once
buy honda
2kw no more worying about power anywhere.
cheers IAN.

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
but not everyone has nearly a grand to spend on genny,
my 50 quid disposable genny has done me well enough for 4 years now, it's not even worth servicing it at that price, when it dies i can just buy another for 50 quids,

But i only need my genny to recharge the batteries when i dont get sun on the solar panels for a few days in a row, i dont have an A/C to run, and all other mains loads run off the 1500 watt inverter (pure sine wave to enable the washer to work)

if i felt i needed A/C, then i'd see about getting one of those power packs trucks are increasingly using, small diesel engine that drives an alternator for fast re-charging of batteries, heats water to run the heating, and drives an A/C compressor directly,
i'd want a modifcation so a mains motor can also drive the A/C compressor instead of the engine if plugged into mains, but it's never going to happen.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If it is the Honda you want. And why wouldn't you, it's the dogs, it delivers cleaner power, quieter than any other, and is built to last, with a minimum 5 years warranty. This was the cheapest place when I bought mine. Link Removed :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ask yourself this question..

Your on a sinking ship and you have the choice of two lifeboats, one powered by Honda the other by a disposable engine.. which one will you jump into .. ? :Doh:

On the other hand, if your ship is unsinkable ( like the Titanic ) buy a cheapo :roflmto::roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am at the Haganap meet (great time had by all !!) and am impressed with these little Honda gennies that are about...I WANT ONE !!!....so where is the best place to buy and how much do they cost ????......:thumb:

Odd, I noticed more Kipor than anything.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
My 1kw Kippor is for sale complete with case/rain cover. £150 ::bigsmile:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
One on eBay due to finish shortly. Paste this id number in 220434565166

Only 20 miles away from you as well! :thumb:

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi Guys, may be able to shed some light or advice. The link to Just generators on line is a cheap price for Honda, however it is still a lot of money.
The Red Clarkes, look to be the first versions of mine, to which I would walk away from!
The Blue one at Peterborough were the same machines as the Clarkes, the more expensive ones may look similar case but completely different internally. They also have the benefit of a 2 year no quibble warranty!
Kipor we have recently dropped for various different reasons.
Simon Jones

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got me a 2kw Kipor and have been happy with it so far, but then we do not use it that often.. I am with the majority, if I wanted a genny that I could use and use for the next gawd knows how long, it would have to be a Honda :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back