Generators, the final nail?...... (1 Viewer)

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
So come 2040 there`ll be no new generators, that`ll please some people :)

But seriously, can`t help but think they haven`t thought this through properly. I don't think 23yrs is enough time to achieve the goals.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There's a thought!
Generators that run off an electric motor!:D

All you need is a 90% efficient motor, coupled to a 95% efficient generator and you make 5% gain of surplus electricity!

Or am I missing something?:D

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think the reference was to petrol & Diesel engined cars.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
There will be micro nuclear generation systems the size of AA battery, all they gotta do now is crack Fusion... Simple. (or so the head boffins at the UK government would have you believe Just like they said PM May would win with a landslide, cos they know don't they!)

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
You will still need a generator to tie to the back of your electric car to get you home.
s-l1600.jpg

Fitted on a trailer nice I wonder if there is a congestion charge to pay

:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Hey, they told us in 1960 that everyone would have flying cars by the year 2000

They told us in 1980 that everyone would be driving around on LPG by 2000

Volvo told us that the drivers of their vehicles would never be injured in any collision by 2010

Now they're telling us that they will have a credible alternative to the ICE by 2040, at which time they will presumably try to phase out those ICE powered vehicles still on the road

Makes me have to think twice about buying that new Bugatti Chiron

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Do they really think the tourist industry can stand for this?
Caravan / motor home manufacturers, campsite owners etc.
There will always be a limit on the power available and a potential need for more because of each individuals requirements. If you only use a car to get to the airport or a hotel you will never understand that someone else likes/needs to tow a trailer for work or leisure.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Hey, they told us in 1960 that everyone would have flying cars by the year 2000

They told us in 1980 that everyone would be driving around on LPG by 2000

Volvo told us that the drivers of their vehicles would never be injured in any collision by 2010

Now they're telling us that they will have a credible alternative to the ICE by 2040, at which time they will presumably try to phase out those ICE powered vehicles still on the road

Makes me have to think twice about buying that new Bugatti Chiron
They also told us in the early 70s that the Chanel Tunnel would be up & running in 6 years :rofl:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
They also told us many, many moons ago that North Sea Gas would be free. :D

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I remember reading in "The Eagle" comic as a kid that we would all be floating around on space scooters, and our legs would shrivel up through inactivity by the year 2000

They also told us that "Jim will fix it", but they never said what. Am I the only person in history that Jimmy Savil didn't interfere with? I feel left out

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If the rate of change in battery technology continues then maybe, just maybe, it will be a possibility. However I don't see diesel vehicles being totally phased out anytime soon - trucks, ships ???

With some places in Scotland (and probably elsewhere in the UK) still not connected to the grid I am not sure how they will manage without fossil fuels in their vehicles.

Also where is all this electricity going to come from? I don't think it will all come from renewables so there will still be "dirty" power stations somewhere.

I have looked at the practicality of an electric vehicle but it just won't work for us, there just isn't the reliable range with electric cars at the moment.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Is it too early to start stock-piling petrol?! (y) :)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thankfully, I'll be pushing up the daisies by 2040, with my soul going to that great Aire in the sky!
But, for those left behind, forget road rage, you'll have electricity rage. Whilst you're in the supermarket, someone will have unplugged your car and plugged theirs in!:mad:

Nov 6, 2016
pembrokshire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
ive got generator for sale Hyundai 2,2kw used 1hr £350 get in quick

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
There's a thought!
Generators that run off an electric motor!:D

All you need is a 90% efficient motor, coupled to a 95% efficient generator and you make 5% gain of surplus electricity!

Or am I missing something?:D

The first law of thermodynamics is such a bother :)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
So come 2040 there`ll be no new generators, that`ll please some people :)

But seriously, can`t help but think they haven`t thought this through properly. I don't think 23yrs is enough time to achieve the goals.

Well see that you are a biker vin,marshalling at the TT has shown me there ain't much hope after watching the TT zero races??
What's going to happen to our bikes,no mention of them.....yet!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What about aeroplanes, they are one of the worst polluters, can't see them going electric :cycle:

OP
OP
vin.egan
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
Well see that you are a biker vin,marshalling at the TT has shown me there ain't much hope after watching the TT zero races??
What's going to happen to our bikes,no mention of them.....yet!

I think there is a place for Electric vehicles of all types, I just don't think the whole plan has been thought out, I know technology moves at an incredible pace but just over 22yrs is pushing it. (Norway says 2025, wow, just wow)
Mining of Lithium, manufacture of the batteries, carbon footprints, lifespan of any batteries, hardware needed to provide charging points throughout the UK, capacity to produce the electricity demanded. and that's just scratching the surface.
the cost of electricity will soar because of demand (basic economics)
Driverless cars in my opinion will not work alongside manually driven cars (substitute vehicles for cars) therefore (and I do love a conspiracy theory) what better way to keep tabs on the population and be able to control them than with electric driverless cars, ban the petrol/diesel and I feel a lot of people will be forced to use other means because of the cost, Uber driverless electric cab anyone?
It`ll be sold to us as being far safer for us, its for our own good, the environment, etc etc

I just do not get the whole economic and environmental argument about electric vehicles. Have you seen the holes in the ground in Greenland? Just how much Lithium do we have on this planet, what about when it runs out?

I could rant on for hours/days about this subject. I`m not against electric vehicles, they have their place, great for cities, if you live anywhere else especially remote rural areas you best buy a horse. it`s just the technology doesn't seem to be keeping up with the expectations of those in power.

Bikes will be banned shortly after I fear.

enough, beer time.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Dawkins forbid that I would take the thread off topic but I was at the airport today and I never realised that planes need a hook-up while they are waiting at the terminal.
What's wrong with a solar panel and big leisure battery?
:)

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
If I am still around in 2040 I will be 93
I would not be worrying about plugging a car in, it would be my simmer frame and me. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
A theory... the planet is running out of fossil fuels, they are finite, ok fracking squeezes the last drops but years ago we were told oil will run out in our life time.
Powers that be think how can we resolve this? Tell the planet we will run out of fossil fuels in 40,50,60 years they say not us, love my Porsche, the next generation can sort it. So powers that be think we need a better story. Climate change will drown the planet, we will lose the eco system as we know it. Thats a nice piece of fiction, just look at religion, you need fiction and a good story to convince the masses, so we have the electric cars the new religion, no logic but what does that matter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back