Generators again (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ok thanks for all the advice have decided on Honda but should it be a 10i or 20i we will be running tv lap top lights phone chargers

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
No idea of your health etc but check the weight of each out for lifting in and out of the van etc. Thinking along the lines of a bad back etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Both will do the job easily, the 20i is a heavy lump and expensive. It needs careful consideration as to where it travels in the motorhome and needs to be secure. Both the 10 and the 20 are noisy under load and they'll both give you a fuel storage issue. Either can be used at home when there are power cuts but the 20i excels when you need power at home.

But.....for TV lights and phone chargers are you sure you need a £900 noisy smelly genny? A £90 extra battery will likely do the job and your neighbours won't want to murder you :D

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
ok thanks for all the advice have decided on Honda but should it be a 10i or 20i we will be running tv lap top lights phone chargers

How long are you expecting to be off-grid for at one time? What size are your existing leisure batteries? Do you have a 12v TV?

OP
OP
Mart grump
Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Away for 4 to 5 days we have two batteries in our Carthago just looking for a back up just in case

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Mart grump just curious why you started a new thread and did not reply to the original one you started ???

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Away for 4 to 5 days we have two batteries in our Carthago just looking for a back up just in case

As a comparison, we survive with one 110A battery for 4 people + approx 10 hrs TV watching + lights and water pump for approx 3 days without moving, solar etc.

I would suggest that unless you are watching loads of TV or have a huge TV etc. that 2 leisure batteries are sufficient for 4 days.

Your money, your choice but there is a reason why many people have generators for sale and many people comment that they only fire theirs up once a year ...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

We don’t need it in the RV as we have a powerful alternator. But in our Hymer we got over our power issues (the hair dryer) with a 2kw inverter and a Battery to Battery Charger. We would start the engine and then use the inverter and within a minute the B2B would kick in and fill the batteries with pretty much what we were using, when hair was dry and engine off the batteries were still full. A vehicle on tickover will likely go unnoticed and is a lot less annoying than a genny and costs a lot less with no storage or fuel issues.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Your money, your choice but there is a reason why many people have generators for sale and many people comment that they only fire theirs up once a year ...

Your totally correct I only use mine over the winter time this year it was at the New year bash, I've survived over 20 days in the Summer and could do more but had to move on.
Solar is the way to go if only they could find a way of making it work in the winter time.
Best Wishes Tony

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can understand the reason for wanting a back-up generator that will probably never be used. But if that is the case why not buy a decent and much cheaper non-inverter generator? The only point of the inverter version is to be less noisy and use less fuel so if the genny will only be run in an emergency there's no point in the expensive option - says a man with a S/H Suzuki genny that has never run in anger.:D

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
You've got a built in emergency backup already, which you've paid many many tens of thousands of pounds for. Your motorhome engine.
If you your leisure batteries ever got too low, you can use the vehicle engine and its alternator to charge them.

If you are worried about consumption of your 12volt system, just add a big solar panel, and if possible an additional leisure battery.
Cost of both would be less than a generator; there's No NOISE to inflict on everyone else in earshot its a FIT and forget system, the weight will probably be less, no dangerous petrol to carry, no generator smell to have in the MH, and it even keeps your batteries topped up when you aren't using the MH.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
You've got a built in emergency backup already, which you've paid many many tens of thousands of pounds for. Your motorhome engine.
If you your leisure batteries ever got too low, you can use the vehicle engine and its alternator to charge them.

If you are worried about consumption of your 12volt system, just add a big solar panel, and if possible an additional leisure battery.
Cost of both would be less than a generator; there's No NOISE to inflict on everyone else in earshot its a FIT and forget system, the weight will probably be less, no dangerous petrol to carry, no generator smell to have in the MH, and it even keeps your batteries topped up when you aren't using the MH.

Mind you regular running of the diesel engine is likely to cause glazing of the bores which will impact on performance and cost more than the cost of a generator to fix. Fine as an occasional fix but not a good thing .on a regular basis. Also I think most would find my little Kippor a lot less intrusive than my 2.4 diesel. I do also have 200 watts of solar so my baby genny is a last resort.

Last edited:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Mind you regular running of the diesel engine is likely to cause glazing of the bores which will impact on performance and cost more than the cost of a generator to fix. Fine as an occasional fix but not a good thing .on a regular basis. Also I think most would find my little Kippor a lot less intrusive than my 2.4 diesel. I do also have 200 watts of solar so my baby genny is a last resort.

And on the Fiats it causes the dpf warning light to come on if you leave them idling for too long , modern Diesel engines don't like it at all .

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Ice cream vans do ok on tick over all day(y)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
There seem to be a lot of very low use secondhand generators for sale !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I suspect many do get low use like mine, no more than 20 hours a year I suspect so perhaps due for it's first oil change this year.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
For this usage you will not need a generator, especially if you get some solar fitted. When we are away in winter skiing, we spend several weeks off hook and use a 750 watt honda, which runs everything, including the heating fans, so as said above, the 1.0 unit will be very adequate - but you are unlikely to need it!

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
this will keep you going:D

Attachments

• hms rhyl gennie.jpg
    hms rhyl gennie.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 27
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I spent many hours sitting next to it and its twin in another life, many, many years ago:)

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp

this was it running. noisy bugger!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
To save me looking it up, what is the minimum rpm of a 2.3 Fiat engine has to be run at before it starts having a positive effect re charging? It may be that tickover isn't fast enough. For instance my Wing has to be running at 1800 revs to be putting something into the battery greater than what is being drawn out for running all the systems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back