sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Not got a generator and most rallies / meets dont have EHU,,,,so can anyone recomend one that will run a few little things and not to heavy for me to lift in and out of the van as i am like Long john silver,,,,i only have one peg ....want to come to the meets but dont know if we would be ok without EHU...:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try it and see.

If you do get low on battery power there are always funsters who will let you connect to their generator to get some charge back in.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would simply add another leisure battery:thumb:That should give you a couple more days off grid depending on your use :thumb:like John says try out what you have the most that can happen is you will be without a tv for a night ::bigsmile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The other option is Solar. panels which is fixed to the roof so no lifting and see you through the weekend.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The other option is Solar. panels which is fixed to the roof so no lifting and see you through the weekend.[/

I bought an SDMO Booster 1000. 1000w output and has a honda engine, so pretty reliable and very quiet
Honda make a similar size (eu10i) then there are other makes, Kippor, Husqvana etc. All are light enough to lift and most use inverter technology so you can run electronic equipment safely.
I bought mine to top the batteries up if they ever went flat, but as Carol says, solar panels are ideal and I have never used the genny!
Mind you, we rarely stay in one place more than 2 nights.
Allan

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
The other option is Solar. panels which is fixed to the roof so no lifting and see you through the weekend.

how much do solar panels cost roughly ? fitted that is as i cant get up on the roof to fit myself .....so hard being a past mechanic / tyre fitter and now have to pay to get things done that i once could do myself....:Sad:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
how much do solar panels cost roughly ? fitted that is as i cant get up on the roof to fit myself .....so hard being a past mechanic / tyre fitter and now have to pay to get things done that i once could do myself....:Sad:

You could fit a Battery to Battery charger though!
A far better proposition than a Genny if charging your leisure battery is your only consideration!:Smile:
Nothing to lug about or have to chain to your van!

Look 'em up! There's loads of threads on here!:thumb:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Panels from about £100 upwards depending on wattage, I have 90w panel and 2x110amp batteries, no probs keeping batts up, even in overcast weather. Bigger the panel(s) the better.
Have you not got someone who could fit one for you? reasonably easy, and you can usually get fitting and wiring/regulaters from the suppliers. Ebay is a good source .
Failing this I would recommend Dave Newell at telford. He will supply and fit or fit your own stuff. He has done work for us and is very well thought-of on this forum plus you get a funster discount if you ask!.
Hope this helps, Dave:thumb:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

I would guess about £350 to £500 to supply and fit 100w solar panel, may be good to have both, ie solar panel and extra battery, this way you would last quite a time just using lights and tv etc if not permanently, may want to give Dave Newel a ring (Telford Shropshire also a funster and gives 10% discount to funsters) as he fits stuff at shows if he attends, but also fits stuff at his depot in Telford, also fits LPG gas systems as well Regards Garry Flatpackchicken
http://www.davenewell.co.uk

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I wouldn't get a gennie just to charge batteries on a rally. They are expensive, noisy and so a bit antisocial.
A battery to battery charger will charge a lot faster and cost a lot less. Alternatively an extra battery if there's room, with or without solar.
Also LED lights will save using so much electricity, and at a Funster rally you can probably borrow the use of someone elses gennie or watch their telly.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

I would guess about £350 to £500 to supply and fit 100w solar panel, may be good to have both, ie solar panel and extra battery, this way you would last quite a time just using lights and tv etc if not permanently, may want to give Dave Newel a ring (Telford Shropshire also a funster and gives 10% discount to funsters) as he fits stuff at shows if he attends, but also fits stuff at his depot in Telford, also fits LPG gas systems as well Regards Garry Flatpackchicken
http://www.davenewell.co.uk

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
That should say GENNY not gent

The old ipad auto correct is gonna get me in real trouble one day:Blush:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
You could fit a Battery to Battery charger though!
A far better proposition than a Genny if charging your leisure battery is your only consideration!:Smile:
Nothing to lug about or have to chain to your van!

Look 'em up! There's loads of threads on here!:thumb:

ideas on what type ? makes? etc.....please....:Blush:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
If you are struggling you could always ask techno100 he's also in the leeds area I'm sure he would oblige just look for posts by him.

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
That of course will be one of the noisiest and anti social ones going, no sound proofing at all.

Sorry don't use a GENNY, solar panel:thumb:

Just trying to be helpful.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have lasted 3 1/2 days , during a bloody freezing Chester Rally last year, like wind chill factor -7 during the day :Sad: on an 85 amp leisure battery, no whimpy solar panels, gennys or otherwise,
If you feel you are getting a bit "low" there is nothing stopping you running your engine ,during the day, for half an hour or so and topping up.

If you want Toasters, hair dryers, Smoothies, De foliateing back scatchers and microwave ovens, get yourself a generator.
Rallies last for 4-5 days generally if you can last without the 54"TV, and the host of modern day nick nacks Etc Etc, and with led lighting, your battery ,in good condition will last you, with careful useage, 3-5 days.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................

Just a thought how about a 80w or 100w panel http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=solar+panel&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R1.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmotorhome+sola&_nkw=motorhome+solar+panel&_sacat=0 a few crates of beer chat up some funsters & head to the fix it meet.

Id go if it werent for the distance involved :Angry: :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back