Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Looking for advice!,,, As Solar power is no good in winter months,, would you advise me to invest in a generator, if so which one is the best..?

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
We have a Honda EU 20i. It is a great choice of generator . lt has a pure sine wave out put and a so called smart system that increases and decreases engine revs as per load demand. We also have a 60A Stirling B2B unit. Hope you find a solution to suit you.

Attachments

• 304096-2a8fb936e271026d1513339544e0ad91.jpg
    304096-2a8fb936e271026d1513339544e0ad91.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 139
  • 258504-e9150c3e23e5f65b32d2faf8c0ba8a16.jpg
    258504-e9150c3e23e5f65b32d2faf8c0ba8a16.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
thank you ,,,is it quiet to run and do you just plug it into the ehu connector....as you can see I'm a newbie and know little about technical issues ..lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Many on here will tell there is no such thing as a quiet generator
They can and are intrusive to many people
Poberbly No1 sin to most
I have the Honda 1Kva and it does all I want it to except it might struggle to run hair dryers used at home
It won't run electric heaters electric kettles etc
The 2KVA will run such items flat out
Popular makes of wait for it "Silent Suitcase" models are
HONDA, KIPOR AND OTHER KNOCK OFF COPIES.
Open framed cheaper versions will see it set fire to or thrown over the nearest hedge.
This advice is given with a little humour based on my belief that it will only be used minimally and with thought for your neighbor's
It is not solution for use on camp sites (they won't allow it)
It will be fowned upon at private and club meets (some meets will offer a generator corner if needs must)
It is not a substitute for a good battery bank and solar
As I said I have a good solar and battery pack but still carry a generator and will use it respectfully if needs must
Best suited for wild camping where you can annoy the hell out of yourself and yours
There are exceptions of course.
Medical equipment, battery charging for short periods micro waving your pie
Hope this help others thinking along similar plans
Tip for Genny users if you must fire up ask your nearest neighbor if he wants a top up whilst its running :xThumb:
Advice for Genny haters, We dont run them for a hobby or to annoy you personally (well maybe sometimes) but you will see a common thread through this reply "When needs must" and if someone strike one up think of the money he is burning in fuel and thank your stars you have a better system

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As mentioned before........... I am a serial genny buyer :) One comes upthat is cheap, I buy it
Couple of years go by and I realise that apart from starting it every couple of months just to keep things oily, it has not been used, and I sell it..
Within weeks I start feeling that I REALLY should have one 'just in case', and the cycle begins again !
I have 3 x 120w panels on the van ( one per 110aH battery fitted ).. Even when we stop on one site for two months it is not used
I have no doubt sometime next year I will once again flog the thing ( silent running 2.5kW jobby ) but I am willing to bet, due to my obsession, it will soon be replaced !

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
A Generator is a useful thing to have, just get one of the Hondas‘ as they seem to be the quietest then try to screen it from anyone nearby.
If you are usually on your own or can park away from others it won’t be a problem unless you’re going to run it 24/7!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
As was said the 1 kva is a lot lighter than the two. We used to have a 2 but only seemed to use it for charging the battery, we changed it for a 1 Kva, anything electrical bigger than say 900 watts we use through our 3000 watt inverter. Look at what usage you require and buy the appropriate inverter, battery and solar.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In the early years of Fun, AHhhh!!! those were the days.
I used to park my RV right next to.if not actually incorporated in the Fun tent running a 5.5 KVA on board Genny
downsizing to a Euro saw me providing power via 2 KVA Kipor
And you know what? NOT ONE SINGLE COMPLAINT :doh: :xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I must admit I got parked up with the RVs at Malvern one year after one night I had had enough it was like being parked between two dumpers, I must say these were older RVs and they ran early till late, maybe they only had one battery, but that learnt me never park near an RV ?

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
If you are wilding I assume you will only be doing a few nights at each spot. So why not fit extra batteries and a B2B.
hi lenny it was supposed to be a joke i have a solar and 2x batteries

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Is a 1 kva powerfull enough just to top up the leisure batteries every now and then when off grid
I know solar is better but just asking about a 1 kva

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I have a Honda 1kVA for about 5 years and have used it twice, so realistically I really don’t need it,
But like insurance it’s handy to fall back on if needed,
I now have 400 W of solar panels so even in winter never get low enough to cause concern,

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
In the early years of Fun, AHhhh!!! those were the days.
I used to park my RV right next to.if not actually incorporated in the Fun tent running a 5.5 KVA on board Genny
downsizing to a Euro saw me providing power via 2 KVA Kipor
And you know what? NOT ONE SINGLE COMPLAINT :doh: :xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:
Who in there right mind is going to complain about your Genny running when youv'e got a rotwhiler like PAMMY to guard it. Merry Christmas to you both. Ha! Ha!

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
If you are wilding I assume you will only be doing a few nights at each spot. So why not fit extra batteries and a B2B.
I agree with Lenny as when your batteries are low, with a B2B all you need to do is fire up the engine for 30 mins or so and you have recharged your batteries. Like a generator except you don't need to carry one or the cans of fuel you need to run it!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
B2B is ok if you are parked up away from people, having been parked next to someone running their engine for thirty minutes, the noise and exhaust fumes, I would rather be next to someone running a quiet genny.??

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Many on here will tell there is no such thing as a quiet generator
They can and are intrusive to many people
Poberbly No1 sin to most
I have the Honda 1Kva and it does all I want it to except it might struggle to run hair dryers used at home
It won't run electric heaters electric kettles etc
The 2KVA will run such items flat out
Popular makes of wait for it "Silent Suitcase" models are
HONDA, KIPOR AND OTHER KNOCK OFF COPIES.
Open framed cheaper versions will see it set fire to or thrown over the nearest hedge.
This advice is given with a little humour based on my belief that it will only be used minimally and with thought for your neighbor's
It is not solution for use on camp sites (they won't allow it)
It will be fowned upon at private and club meets (some meets will offer a generator corner if needs must)
It is not a substitute for a good battery bank and solar
As I said I have a good solar and battery pack but still carry a generator and will use it respectfully if needs must
Best suited for wild camping where you can annoy the hell out of yourself and yours
There are exceptions of course.
Medical equipment, battery charging for short periods micro waving your pie
Hope this help others thinking along similar plans
Tip for Genny users if you must fire up ask your nearest neighbor if he wants a top up whilst its running :xThumb:
Advice for Genny haters, We dont run them for a hobby or to annoy you personally (well maybe sometimes) but you will see a common thread through this reply "When needs must" and if someone strike one up think of the money he is burning in fuel and thank your stars you have a better system
Thank you I do have a solar panel, but it's hopeless in the winter months..as I'm a newbie and need advice ,,I can only afford to go on sites occasionally (just found out government have put my retirement up to 66 so my budget has gone out the window)...so was looking at a genny to bridge the gap in the winter months...again thank you for some sound advice ...much appreciated

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
B2B is ok if you are parked up away from people, having been parked next to someone running their engine for thirty minutes, the noise and exhaust fumes, I would rather be next to someone running a quiet genny.??
Last thing you want to do is start your engine and run on tickover from cold a good way of wrecking your engine.

The idea is with a B2B you arrive with fully charged batteries, knowing when you drive to your next spot they will get a good charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back