Generator questions from a complete novice (1 Viewer)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Graham

We have had both Kipor and Honda. We first purchased a red Kipor and found that this was not suitable for our equipment in the fifth wheel, we needed a yellow one (for the sine wave). So we sold the red and bought the yellow both being 2.6KW. They are very heavy and we found in the end that we were using it mostly to charge the battery, so worked out quite expensive just to do that.

We sold the Kipor and purchased a 1KW Honda, with a plan to buy a 2KW Honda so that we would then have the option of 1KW, a 2KW or 3KW when linked together, we were then told that you cannot join unequal generators together, but just recently on an American forum we belong to, several people have done exactly that and very successfully, however, we so rarely need more than the 1KVA, that we are doing nicely with just the 1KVA and it costs sod all to run, and is very light and small to carry around (we turned ours off after 9 hours not using the tank full).

If you want to run the microwave then forget it, however we have fairly recently fitted a Ctec 25 charger and it runs that well, but a friend of ours had a 45 amp charger and it was too much for that one.

We can't fault either makes.

Hope this info. helps with your final decision.

Nigel and Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

carry on then

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
.EU
Funster No
MH
camper sort of thingy
Exp
about 5 minutes
you can phase generators together, unfortunately though none of the ones mentioned in this thread.
Its all about the switch board ( control panel) within the generator and they are more expensive than the actual generators themselves.
We regularly phase 2x 500kva sets together at work and with the set ups we use its possible to phase upto 8 sets together.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We sold the Kipor and purchased a 1KW Honda, with a plan to buy a 2KW Honda so that we would then have the option of 1KW, a 2KW or 3KW when linked together, we were then told that you cannot join unequal generators together, but just recently on an American forum we belong to, several people have done exactly that and very successfully, however, we so rarely need more than the 1KVA, that we are doing nicely with just the 1KVA and it costs sod all to run, and is very light and small to carry around (we turned ours off after 9 hours not using the tank full).

As previously said, normally, yes it is complicated, almost impossible, not to mention exceptionally dangerous. You can't use just any generators. Only certain types of Honda generators can be used. They are specifically engineered to accept the GenTran parallel kit. The only limitation is that these Honda generators can not be mixed and matched

Using a special cable or kit, you can link two EU1000i, two EU2000i, two EU3000 Handi, or two EU3000is generators together to get as much as double the output. (Please note: you can only parallel two identical units together.)

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability

Don't try this with gennies that are not designed to do it or of different sizes..

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Agreed - and one of the reasons I asked.

Our other van had no room to transport a generator and fuel but the one we have now does. We never needed a generator with the other van but will we now? Too early to say.

I certainly won't buy one in the short term as a "just in case" but it is an option for the future - as is a nice quiet eFoy system ::bigsmile: - so I was curious as to whether spending more really gets you more.

Many thanks to all who have replied.

hi graham the efoy units are nice and quiet but expensive to buy and the fuel isn't that readily available as petrol diesel or gas.

the gasperini (sp) self energy is an option i was looking into but basically its a glorified version of chrisgreens supercharger as far as i know Smudger has one on his rig along with all the other gismo's so he can probably tell you more about that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hi graham the efoy units are nice and quiet but expensive to buy and the fuel isn't that readily available as petrol diesel or gas.

the gasperini (sp) self energy is an option i was looking into but basically its a glorified version of chrisgreens supercharger as far as i know Smudger has one on his rig along with all the other gismo's so he can probably tell you more about that.

Thanks Andy. The efoy is more of a boy's toy aspiration I think ::bigsmile: A lot lighter than a genny though.

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
which genny

afternoon all,been doin a spot of wild camping this w,end,and ive been using my Kipor genny 2600 absolutly great,drinks a little more fuel than my honda 1u,the honda never missed a beat in 3years touring round europe behind motorcycle in a trl,sold it to a guy in ireland.the Kipor runs my microwave and hot water pump.I bought it from a guy at manchester show,well worth it.all the best,av a safe week.THE BANDIT:thumb::Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back