Generator question (it's about generators) (1 Viewer)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I've never used a generator but now it has been mentioned it has got me wondering.

Could I use a 2000w generator to give me a boost on the heating by plugging in an electric fire?
Will it give me peace of mind that I can always put life back into a dead engine battery?
Are there uses for a generator that I haven't realised?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I believe it would run a small heater, but it will rev the nuts off of the genny. Someone with more time on their hands can do the maths :)
To your second question, no, generators have only one purpose, generating electricity! We only use ours to power the telly, microwave, and to charge the batteries.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A generator can be used for a heating device in fact any 240V item that is within its capacity allowing a safety factor. Providing it is a pure sine wave or the items used are not fussy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I bought a 2kw generator and was shocked by just how big and heavy it was. Decided not to take it in the MH, instead I keep it at home in case of power cuts.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We used our generator to power the new house last month in France at night before the electricity was turned on and by day to power the van.
Allan

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
For general use a 1000w is normally enough you can run a 800w fan heater but I wouldn't want to run it too long & go for a Honda everytime you get what you pay for cheers Rod

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
run heating of a refillable LPG system...gas cheap as chips that way

soon as you turn the heater off it will be cold in no time:coffee:

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Call me thick but.... If you have a generator (I've been looking at the Honda 1KV) and you hook the motorhome up to it will the micro wave, water heater and electric heating all work or does the power of the generator affect what can realistically be run within the motorhome?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I think you answered your own question but 1kw is unlikely to run a microwave as the start up current is more than that even if you have an 800w microwave, a 1 bar electric fire is 1kw so it will struggle. What can be run depends on the output of the genny. TV fine, charging batteries fine, anything else not really cost effective even if you have the power available (petrol is expencive).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Call me thick but.... If you have a generator (I've been looking at the Honda 1KV) and you hook the motorhome up to it will the micro wave, water heater and electric heating all work or does the power of the generator affect what can realistically be run within the motorhome?

Ask yourself "do you really need a generator" most of us can live for days weeks or even indefinitely using solar power and batteries, looks like you have plenty of roof space.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
When I full timed in a tugger I had a 2kw genny which did all I needed including a boost on the heating when I needed it. It was big and heavy and used about £4 per day in petrol. In a MH unless you are sited for a while you are better off using the alternator to charge batteries and heat using gas or derv.

As far as charging an engine battery well of course you can use it for that if you wire right but it will only charge as if you were running the engine. In other words you won't jump start from a genny but it would help you out of a pickle if you had enough time.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used to carry a generator, never used it so got rid of it. They are pretty antisocial because of the noise and you have to carry petrol, smelly and a fire risk. An extra battery and a solar panel a better bet. Use gas for heating, running an electric heater from a generator is pretty inefficient and will be an expensive way of heating.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We bought our Honda genny after being snowed in and cut off on a cl in Kirkudbright 2 years ago freak heavy snow downed power lines and 7-9 foot drifts cut us off. We were stuck for 3 days, solar panel useless in these conditions and we did struggle for power. Did loads of research, checked out other folks genies on rallies etc eventually bit the bullet and bought a Honda. We do a lot of rallying off ehu and have only had to top up batteries using it 4-5 times. It's all about peace of mind knowing it's there if we need it. It is brilliant at home saves loads of extensions when I use the trimmer. ;0)

Reactions: JJ

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
I have a Honda 2 Eu

It weight's 21 kg
It will comfortably run your fridge ,water heater, and charge your batteries all at the same time,plus any thing else such as I phone/ pad /TV etc
My genny Has to power a 1800 watt hairdryer every morning :) (or else) :(.
Sometimes it has to power a 2kva fan heater this does make it work hard.

Always buy a Honda

Cheap No Good

Good No Cheap

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back