Generator Power Supply ???? (1 Viewer)

beefbops

Free Member
May 19, 2010
Funster No
Hi all, new to this so patience please, haha

Im hiring a motorhome and the campsite we are going to doesnt have electric hook up, so im now looking at hiring a generator, but they (hss) need to know how much output is required and im affraid i really dont know, any advise please.

Thanks in advance, Craig.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
Welcome Craig

How long are you away for and what usage will there be? ie are you a family man who has kids wanting the DS's etc charged every half hour and TV on 24/7 or is it just going to be light usage, ie lights in the evening blah blah.

I can't tell you what generator you need but the above info will probably help an 'expert' give advice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

beefbops

Free Member
May 19, 2010
Funster No
We will be away for a long weekend at a festival, just adults, need the fridge, tv, shower working, lights on in evening, dont think we will neede anything else, thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
I would be tempted to ask the hire firm how many leisure batteries the motor home has.

Your fridge and hot water will most likely be able to run on gas.

We are a family of 5 and we found on a single 110 amp battery we last a couple of days, we added a second and as of yet have not been in one spot long enough to see how long it will last.

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
You will be responsible for gennys security------if it gets stolen you will have to pay for it (or your insurance??????)
I would buy the cheapest little one I could find (less chance of scum stealing an Aldi special-)
-
---it will be big enough (unless you are running air-con, microwave etc)
Enloy the festival
Nigel & Pamala

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
How muich are they charging you to hire the generator??

I take it you know you can buy a small one for about £60-70.

For general use you need something like a 1kva which will run most things and charge the battery.

Make sure the genny has a compatible blue socket and also make sure you have a bloody big chain and padlock to secure the genny to the outside of the van. Unsecured gennys are knicked on a regular basis so beware!

Upvote 0

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
also check the campsite will allow you to use a genny, especialy as they are likely to hire out site generators, and those things are very very noisey,

might also be an idea to ask the hire company about it, as it has been known for site type gennies to dammage chargers in motorhomes, they might have an inverter generator to hire out with the van,

Upvote 0

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
I would also say a 750V - 1kV genny as big enough but would also suggest that buying a cheap one of eBay etc. will give better value than hiring - even if you sell it again after your weekend away.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
chances are, from HSS, you will get something like a 3kw, or larger, site genny and apart from weighing a ton and being as noisy as a jackhammer, they can be tempremental beasties...not starting on demand and heavy on fuel.

unless you use a microwave or mains kettle ect you should be ok with a 1kw jobby but i dont think HSS do one that small.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Craig, call me what you want BUT why do you want to hire a genny for the w/end :ROFLMAO: your fridge / hot water will almost certainly run on gas and if you use all the power out of the l/battery Also you have a big genny on-board called a engine. :thumb: run this for a couple of hours and your battery's will be charged for the night :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

beefbops

Free Member
May 19, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for all the response to this, i didnt know the fridge and shower would run of the gas. The van we are hiring is a Fiat CI Carioca 10. Has anyone came across this type ?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all the response to this, i didnt know the fridge and shower would run of the gas. The van we are hiring is a Fiat CI Carioca 10. Has anyone came across this type ?

yep!!!! 2003 model.

our frst ever van:thumb:

only had it six months then traded in for our first kontiki.
lost nearly £5k on that one then saw it on the forcourt for £1k more than we paid for it originally at the same dealers.:Angry:

like many others, we bought it then realised the layout definately was not for us....2 dinette's with enough seats for 7 to sit and eat but nowhere to lounge.
after driving all day i want to slob and put me feet up, not sit in another upright seat.
tv cabinet ABOVE the dinette so it wasnt watchable unless you sat on the sink/cooker :Eeek:
pretty good entry level van if you arent too bothered about comfort but its not for us..

word of advice....if you buy a van in the future then spend literally hours in what you think you like.....try everything, including the beds (make them up and lay on them..)
and the toilet and shower for size(not literally)
there will always be a compromise but try to make it as small as possible.:thumb:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa ,what with your first van and now your pickup .you could have nearly retired . not the best choices . but then havnt we all made a boo boo somewhere. in life.
keep smiling .
cheers al .

Upvote 0

niblue

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C-class
Exp
We bought a generator last year for our Hebrides trip and were glad we did as the lesuire battery was knackered and we couldn't get a replacement until Stornaway!

I originally considered a 1KW one but in the end bought one of the 2KW Honda suitcase ones. It was able to run all the electrics in the van no problem. It was also very quiet so we couldn't hear it when we were inside the van, and the only time we ran it with neighbours (at Barra airport) I checked and they couldn't hear it either.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back