Just as a matter of interest 2 anagrams of generator

Rage toner and

Greater on :ROFLMAO:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
No real answers to this situation, just about compromise and common sense.

When we came to buy our first van, 20+ years ago (gulp), we went to Hayes Leisure, where Bill Hayes (senior) gave us 2-3 hours of his knowledge and even pointed us at a van he didn't sell based upon our feedback (real gentleman).

His advice on generators at the time was use them in office hours, 9am to 5pm, and for no more than 90 minutes at a time. If you need to use them outside of that, go and talk to your neighbours or expect complaints. (noisier generators back then.)

We found ourselves on a holiday rally site with one van running a generator for long periods, he kept refilling it as necessary. The vans either side eventually had enough and at 8am the next morning they started making a lot of noise, revving engines, playing music etc.

No compromise, just one camper who had paid his fees and said he could do what he wanted, neighbours who took action in their own way, that extended the noise now from 7am, and when Iasked if they could quieten down, I was given the same answer, they had paid so they would make as much noise as they wanted to.

We left so don't know what happened. Holiday rally staff kept well away!

treeman

Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
poole
Funster No
MH
'86 Classical Designs
Exp
relative newbie
As a newbie the stories regarding generators scare me, I thought they'd be super popular (truly portable power) but seems they cause more agro than joy.

I've already sold my old one I already had for work purposes as it was not super quiet and bought a new supposedly quiet one, lets hope I don't upset anyone, but......

noise is in the ear of the beholder!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
So we were at an aire in San Sebastion. We have our honda (very quiet) generator on at 7.30pm to get some electrical heat.. This guy next door in a caravan comes banging on the door with fingers in ears indicating to turn it off. We did !
Well first it was only early evening. And 2 he wasn't as a caravanner really entitled to be there. Their van was in darkness and[HI] I guess it was a jealousy[/HI] situation.[HI] Were we wrong to be using generator ? What would you have done [/HI]?
Lin

[HI]Yes but[/HI] if gas is low and you dont have erbuspacher . Couldn't hear the generator ourselves. And there was one much louder at the other side of the car park. Which we could hear !

Did apologise. Did turn it off ! [HI]It was early evening and was not causing a nuisance[/HI].:RollEyes:

[HI]You missed a bit of one of my posts[/HI] ..( And as a side the generator was running when he arrived and parked right beside us when the place was almost empty ! )
He didn't have any children with him and saw the generator was on. There was only 1 other motorhome there so had the pick of the parking area and chose to park next to a running generator.

We had no intention of using a heater all night. We did have gas but it was a very cold night. We had just come back from town and were soaking wet as it rained continuously. The warm air gas heating was not enough to get warmed through so we used a small fan heater for a while. [HI]Why have a generator and not make use of it ![/HI] Had he been next door when we arrived we would have thought twice about using it, and asked if he minded. But he, as I have already stated, saw it was running and still chose to park right beside us.

Right bar one thing. Didn't park well away from the other motorhome to avoid the noise. Just happened to choose that slot. In fact we were very surprised when someone did park beside us.[HI] German by the way. Think he was maybe in a right old mood as it had chucked it down heavily all day[/HI]. Come to think of it. It might be a good idea to park beside someone with a genny running !:roflmto:

Hi Lindylou,

You must admit that in your OP you asked the Forum what others would have done.

However, every time someone replied with their opinion saying something that you may not have wanted to hear, you replied to defend yourself, so giving the impression that you thought you were in the right.

That may or may not be the case, but it seems a bit pointless to ask what others think, then to reply, arguing against their views.

That begs the question, why ask for those other opinions, if you do not want to hear them, especially on a topic which always divides?

As an aside, :RollEyes:

It seems that to avoid the generator issue, you should just move.
No, no, not to another aire, but to another part of Spain. You said it was tipping down and too cold for the gas heating to warm you through...:cry-smile:

Many other Funsters in Spain are posting weather forecasts, teasing us poor souls back in Blighty.

Head south..... Lindylou..... head south...... :thumb::thumb: :beer:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As far as I'm aware, AC voltage doesn't suffer any where near the drop off that DC voltage does on a long run. 100m would be nothing for AC. :thumb:
Compared to DC yes but a drop never the less but have you considered how much 100 metres of three core 1.5 or worse 2.5 weighs plus the gennie plus the fuel :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :Doh:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
seem to have been very rude of him i why dident you just lay him out problem solved

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Bloody Tuggers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: They make me laugh, but not while Im stuck behind one going up a hill:shout::shout::shout:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Right bar one thing. Didn't park well away from the other motorhome to avoid the noise. Just happened to choose that slot. In fact we were very surprised when someone did park beside us. [HI]German by the way. Think he was maybe in a right old mood as it had chucked it down [/HI]heavily all day. Come to think of it. It might be a good idea to park beside someone with a genny running !:roflmto:
That explains it, it`s like the sunbed towel thing, he did not like it that he did not start his genny first:thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
seem to have been very rude of him i why dident you just lay him out problem solved

In this day and age you cant just lay him out.

You must wate till it is dark a undo his sump plug { not fully}

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
At the risk of seeming to be a party pooper, aires/camperstops/stellplatz, etc. are only "supposed" to be to park overnight. Not to put out any items that could be seen as "camping", i.e. chairs, tables, awnings, washing, etc. Not that anyone (ourselves included) adhere to all these rules, but it could be that anyone abusing the "rules" could cause problems for all that use these areas and the owners, especially if problems arise between the users.

As with wild camping areas, use these aires carefully and don´t draw attention to anything that could cause the authorities to take a closer look unless you have the permission from the owners.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi Lindylou,

You must admit that in your OP you asked the Forum what others would have done.

However, every time someone replied with their opinion saying something that you may not have wanted to hear, you replied to defend yourself, so giving the impression that you thought you were in the right.

That may or may not be the case, but it seems a bit pointless to ask what others think, then to reply, arguing against their views.

That begs the question, why ask for those other opinions, if you do not want to hear them, especially on a topic which always divides?

As an aside, :RollEyes:

It seems that to avoid the generator issue, you should just move.
No, no, not to another aire, but to another part of Spain. You said it was tipping down and too cold for the gas heating to warm you through...:cry-smile:

Many other Funsters in Spain are posting weather forecasts, teasing us poor souls back in Blighty.

Head south..... Lindylou..... head south...... :thumb::thumb: :beer:

I take on board everything you and everyone else has said. I think I was just trying to correct any misunderstanding of the situation in the first place. Perhaps I didn't eplain properly initially.

Can't head to southern spain at the moment as we are home in York.
Do have the central heating on though . :Smile:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I take on board everything you and everyone else has said. I think I was just trying to correct any misunderstanding of the situation in the first place. Perhaps I didn't eplain properly initially.

Can't head to southern spain at the moment as we are home in York.
Do have the central heating on though . :Smile:

There's nothing wrong with York . It's even quite warm as the central heating hasn't even come on.! Just a nice log fire blazing away.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
für Ihre information das andere Ende des aire ist für keinen Generator Nutzer dieses Ende für gesprochen und unser Handtuch ordnungsgemäß angewendet, bevor Sie kamen.

roughly translated

(for your information the other end of the aire is for none generator users this end was spoken for and our towel duly applied before you arrived.):roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Gute Nacht

regards
Steve

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You should have to the German gentleman he is lucky its not your dad as the last time he was in the area his equipment was a lot louder

see here

Broken Link Removed

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Why would anyone using an aire expect peace and quiet?

That's what campsites are for.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Beats me why you need a generator in this day and age,there's plenty of power options ,solar pannels,additional batteries,B2B charger, 12 v TV ,chargers.Boil a kettle on gas ring toast under grill.Ive got a Brittish van and heating more than adequate even when Freezing.Nothing worse than having to hear your neighbours if you don't want to.It all boils down to consideration of others sadly some people have an I'm alright Jack attitude and sod the rest of them.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You need a generator because the salesman who sold you the van said so!

Remember that many motorhomers rely on the advice of salesmen who don't motorhome to guide them through the second largest purchase of their lives.

You only tend to get wise once you have motorhomed for a few years and begin to learn that there are alternatives to the generator and solar panels you bought off them to prop up the crap batteries they sold you!:winky:

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Beats me why you need a generator in this day and age,there's plenty of power options ,solar pannels,additional batteries,B2B charger, 12 v TV ,chargers.Boil a kettle on gas ring toast under grill.Ive got a Brittish van and heating more than adequate even when Freezing.Nothing worse than having to hear your neighbours if you don't want to.It all boils down to consideration of others sadly some people have an I'm alright Jack attitude and sod the rest of them.

Nothing worse than having to hear your neighbours if you don't want to.It all boils down to consideration of others sadly some people have an I'm alright Jack attitude and sod the rest of them

Totaly agree with you and if we had had neighbours would never have put the generator on without asking if they minded.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Glad to hear it Lindilou and I wasn't referring to you ,more so inconsiderate users.If someone parks next to you on a near empty site they have only themselves to blame if they feel unhappy about anything .I personally can't understand the hearding nature some people have,if I see field I like to find my own little corner if possible as the Iatollah 2kids and dog all think They rule the roost so it can get a bit chaotic and I wouldn't want us for close neighbours.
Regards Vlad .

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Glad to hear it Lindilou and I wasn't referring to you ,more so inconsiderate users.If someone parks next to you on a near empty site they have only themselves to blame if they feel unhappy about anything .I personally can't understand the hearding nature some people have,if I see field I like to find my own little corner if possible as the Iatollah 2kids and dog all think They rule the roost so it can get a bit chaotic and I wouldn't want us for close neighbours.
Regards Vlad .

Something is always going to annoy someone. All we can do is try our best to limit that.
Everyone has a right, within reason to enjoy their space.
Dogs barking, kids screaming, late night parties. Someone won't be happy !:RollEyes::RollEyes:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suggest a simple solution to the generator question.

Don't want to disturb others with the noise?

Then don't park where people who will be disturbed park.

Don't follow the path... go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Off Site Motorhoming Rools (because there are no rools.)

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back