generator for wild camping (1 Viewer)

scamp

Free Member
Aug 7, 2009
Funster No
Hi All, I've just got back from 2 weeks in Scotland where we enjoyed the odd day wild camping, my question is this: If I bought a generator so that I could wild camp for a couple of days would I plug my 240v volt lead via a three pin plug into the generator and what size genny would I need to run a colour TV and my van battery charger. Thanks:Blush:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
hi
if the genny has a 16amp socket-----just plug in -----------a lot of the smaller gennys have a house-hold type 3 pin, if this is the case you can make/buy an adapter to take your 16amp plug, most caravan type shops sell them.
IMHO 1kva is enough for most occasions.
Nigel & Pamala

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Some TVs don't like modified sine wave leccy & just won't work.

Some rechargable things eg cameras & toothbrushes also don't like modified sine wave leccy and some people say the camera/whatever didn't work again.:Eeek:

Have also read that the more primitive gennies need to be run (warmed up) before being connected to the van. Claimed that control panel had been damaged.

Just something to bear in mind when choosing a genny or inverter.

I have a modified sine wave inverter & lcd tv runs ok off it but won't try the rechargeable camera or toothbrush. I use a Honda 'suitcase' gennie which I can use with anything so far.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back