General Maintenance - DIY (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Copperslip is perfect for wheel studs and nuts. It doesn't effect torque and prevents corrosion and ease of future removal. Used it for many years, both on our military equipment and my own vehicles. Well recommended. In fact I use it on almost every single nut and bolt I remove, it's that good :)

Would never use anything other than copperslip :)

Probably military training techniques.....
Same mistaken principle as....if it moves salute it, if it doesnt then paint it.

NEVER grease wheel nuts/bolts.
They arent greased at the factory for a reason...accurate torque rating of a 'dry' thread.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I've emailed the manufacturer of copperslip and asked their take on me using it on wheel nuts, studs and bolts. Used it for years and never once had an issue. The safety data sheet here Broken Link Removed clearly states that it allows the correct torque to be applied. Let's see, for my own peace of mind, what the manufacturers say :)

I hear what everyone says about coming out of the factory, however having suffered seized wheel studs before through corrosion, copperslip was the only sensible, safe answer....more to follow out of curiosity :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've emailed the manufacturer of copperslip and asked their take on me using it on wheel nuts, studs and bolts. Used it for years and never once had an issue. The safety data sheet here Broken Link Removed clearly states that it allows the correct torque to be applied. Let's see, for my own peace of mind, what the manufacturers say :)

I hear what everyone says about coming out of the factory, however having suffered seized wheel studs before through corrosion, copperslip was the only sensible, safe answer....more to follow out of curiosity :)
I have done exactly the same with every vehicle I have owned and for the same reasons. Manufacturers have their own agenda and are most definitely not always correct. They assemble their vehicles with every fastener dry and the owner suffers the consequences when corrosion causes seizure. I do not believe that they do this so the correct torque can be applied. They supply a wheel brace with which it is close to impossible to release an un-lubricated wheel stud and with which it is also near impossible to achieve the correct torque on tightening. They supply a jack that is all but inadequate for its intended purpose with an unladen vehicle - and useless if the vehicle is loaded. I have to assume white van man doesn't get punctures when he's loaded. But they are always right:rolleyes:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
£30 for 3 hours work? When was this 1965?

D.
I was surprised as well... I think they charge by the job and honour it. They did quote £30 up front but the job turned very very nasty. I get it done every year now and it takes 1 to 1 and a half hours all in and it is always £20.

I talked to the young(ish) lad who did the work while he was working. He did an engineering apprenticeship at the same college I did my electrical one. Even had a few of the same Lecturers as me from over 25 years ago. I wondered why he was working at a tyre/exhaust place and he said he was well looked after.

I was extremely impressed with his knowledge and working ethos. He is what I would call an old school mechanical engineer in that he knew when to apply brute force and risk breaking something that could be replaced and knew when to apply subtle force such as heat or lubricant when an expensive component was involved. He is one of the few mechanics I am happy to leave to get on with things and not keep an eye on. He looks after my van very well. covering seats/steering wheels if he is dirty. He asks me if I am stowed away for travel before testing things on a drive. If I am not stowed he drives like a chauffeur and if I am stowed he drives it hard enough to test stuff quickly to keep the time down.

I am not sure how they do stuff so cheap but I have been using them for the last 5 years and they have never let me down and the price is either fixed up front or if they can't give me a fixed price they always come in well well under expectations. Because of this I will travel across the country to use them. I have never before experienced fast, cheap and good. Normally it is pick 2...

Edit: and in 6 years I have never once had to take it back to get anything redone/rectified. Now that is a first for me.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Fair comment Grommett, I just wonder how they stay in business with pricing policies like that. Presumably they charge more on other jobs/people's vehicles.

D.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fair comment Grommett, I just wonder how they stay in business with pricing policies like that. Presumably they charge more on other jobs/people's vehicles.

D.
Their main source of income is tyres. They are very quick on those and have a roaring trade. The mechanicing is not a major part of their business.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks for that, PP. I agree with you about the merits of copperslip and I've used it frequently (just not on wheel nuts:rolleyes:). Thanks for the advice.:)

Yes Dave Newell always says that he finds more breaking up than are worn out on motorhomes. I changed mine earlier in the year & they were starting to break up & detach from the backing plates.

I had to open my last tin earlier in the year. Only been carrying it round since 1976.:D Hopefully I'll die before I actually have to buy some. :LOL:
I emailed the manufacturers yesterday. Asked if it is ok and safe to use copperslip on wheel nuts, studs and bolts. They emailed back today and the answer is yes, so I'll carry on using it as before. Also looked at the safety data sheet and that confirmed it too :)

Apparently it can also put hairs on your chest too :)

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
PP check front wheel arch for rust.Right at the top.mines 11 years old this year.both just starting.wire brushed back to bare metal.two coats of cure rust two coats of hammerite.Then a coat of hammerite underseal.
Checked and mine are ok, but I still cleaned it all down and undersealed it all with Hammerite underbody seal :)

Peace of mind again. Thanks for the tip :)
image.jpg

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I emailed the manufacturers yesterday. Asked if it is ok and safe to use copperslip on wheel nuts, studs and bolts. They emailed back today and the answer is yes, so I'll carry on using it as before. Also looked at the safety data sheet and that confirmed it too :)

Apparently it can also put hairs on your chest too :)

Which manufacturer did you contact PPB, Fiat, Autotrail or the makers of copperslip?

D.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Used to drive a large van for a few years as part of a job. One of the first things was to try and change a wheel using supplied jack.
Not a Ducato, but no doubt very similar products.
It took quite a while to get the wheel nuts loose, after borrowing a piece of scaffold as lever extension.
When high enough to get the wheel off on a flat solid surface with no wind in a garage, the vehicle rocked on the jack so much I stopped very quickly and told our vehicle fleet no way was I ever going to do this out on the road. Within 20 minutes I was supplied with the number of a 24 hour mobile tyre fitter.
I imagined trying it on a windy M6 hard shoulder with additional wind wash from heavy's, it doesn't bear thinking about.
The first thing I check on my breakdown cover is that they will come out for a wheel change.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I remember the noise of shooting on a Sunday morning coming from Arborfield , I guess they intend filling in all that green space , I used to live and work not far from the garrison .
The land must be worth a small fortune

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I agree with Bill, I'd be checking with Fiat rather than the grease manufacturer. As far as I'm aware Fiat advise clean dry wheel bolts and that is exactly what is specified on Autodata.

D.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I agree with Bill, I'd be checking with Fiat rather than the grease manufacturer. As far as I'm aware Fiat advise clean dry wheel bolts and that is exactly what is specified on Autodata.

D.
when I was abut 15 years old I was helping my old man he went off to diner when he came back I had nicely greased up the wheel studs.
till this day I can still feel the stinging pane in my ear and her his very words and the reason why not
I was fore 2HRS cleaning the studs with petrol and meth's to his satisfaction
I never helped him in his garage agene
bill

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
was that the wheel bolts you copper slipped?
bill
Yes Bill. Glad I did as I had to remove all the wheels again to replace the brakes after finding the front broken. Also put some on the disc face so the wheels wouldn't stick again :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back