Gemini Alarm (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
We have a Gemini alarm installed in our Elddis MH. It works well except for one unusual thing. It goes off every other Monday at the same time 11.37 and then every 3 hours for the rest of the day.

It goes off regardless of where we are. The manufacturers have replaced the unit but the new one still goes off.

Can anyone think of anything causing this. Perhaps something to do with the Peugeot Boxer?

Nobody can seem to figure it out

Thanks.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Could be condensation, gradually evaporating as the day wears on. Best bet is to mask off the sensor and eliminate that

Also if on EHU, unplug to eliminate mains interference

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I have a Gemini on my Ducato, it did last year start false triggering it was just a low 9 volt battery in the wireless pir detector.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Thanks all so far. Not on ehu, doesn't use batteries and goes off at exactly the same time so not condensation

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have a Gemini alarm installed in our Elddis MH. It works well except for one unusual thing. It goes off every other Monday at the same time 11.37 and then every 3 hours for the rest of the day.

It goes off regardless of where we are. The manufacturers have replaced the unit but the new one still goes off.

Can anyone think of anything causing this. Perhaps something to do with the Peugeot Boxer?

Thanks.
Which sensors trigger? You should have some diagnostic facility telling you which circuit: Cab doors, Lockers, bonnet, internal, caravan door, external bike accessory loop for example

Once you know that, it will help to narrow it down

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
please ignore if this sounds stupid, cos i know nothing really! but logic tells me that if the unit has been replaced and it's still going off at the same Day/Time it must be something to do the van........have you tried altering the Date/Time on the van clock to see if it then goes off at a different time?

Just a thought:whistle::unsure:

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
It is the ultrasonic detector, apologies I omitted that but they are wired in with no batteries. The mystery is why does it go off always at the same times but also why every other week?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ah OK Sorry can't help there as we never use them. They must detect something that makes a noise or blows air around on a timer.

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Will try changing the clock/date as I agree it looks as though it might be a vehicle problem. Can't believe though that I am the only Boxer owner with a Gemini alarm. The manufacturer of the alarm and two different installers have never come across this problem.

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
No, but I will now Eddie. Just that its stored 25 miles away but certainly worthwhile. Will do so in 4 weeks time as I'm away in 2 weeks time. As I said any input helpful it's easy to miss the obvious.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
I had a similar problem with the caravan (different alarm) and it turned out to be the sensor battery. No mention of batteries in manual, found it by trial and error. Downloaded a manual for replacement procedure once battery changed as caravan write-up presumed hard-wired to control unit, and no trouble since. A long shot I know but I thought I'd mention it. Good luck. Mike

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I am stabbing in the dark a bit here, but ultrasonic detectors can be triggered by condensation, as the van heats up or whatever.

Try wrapping some bubblewrap around it, and see if that stops the triggering

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The alarm system will be connected to the Fiat CanBus so it may have something to do with that. Only Fiat know what is happening on their CanBus System. Nothing else is going to keep tripping the alarm on a strict time cycle. It cannot be something near by as it happens in different places. I don't think a PIR is going to have an inbuilt clock whats the point. The diagnostic software that the service dept use may be able to give you a clue especially it it's some sort of fault code.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The alarm system will be connected to the Fiat CanBus so it may have something to do with that. Only Fiat know what is happening on their CanBus System. Nothing else is going to keep tripping the alarm on a strict time cycle. It cannot be something near by as it happens in different places. I don't think a PIR is going to have an inbuilt clock whats the point. The diagnostic software that the service dept use may be able to give you a clue especially it it's some sort of fault code.
How would anything on the CAN affect an ultra sonic module?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The only similar occurrence I had was with Garage door openers. What happened, was on a quite regular occasion the door would open for no apparent reason, even in the middle of the night!. The "Fault" eventually, after a lot of head scratching, turned out to be the RAF rescue Helicopters from Leconfield. If they over flew our House low on the way to the coast, which happened quite frequently, the Avionics where triggering the door mechanism. Called "co-channel" interference apparently. The door fitting company changed the Openers and "zappers" and no more problem (different frequency). You could try moving the van to another location temporarily? and see if there is some similar happening local to the vans storage, every second week?.

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
The Gemini is a Modular Alarm not CanBus

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

Thanks.

Peugeot and Fiat are from the same stable but there are some differences. Both come from the same factory.

If the vehicle has central locking and the alarm locks the doors then it is connected to the CanBus. Considering the connection is only two wires CanH and CanL why would you do anything else. The CanBus also signals door opening and is monitored by the alarm. As the original OP says it can happen anywhere which rules out something local triggering it. The unit has been changed and the alarm still goes off at the same time which would indicate it's not the alarm module. Only other option would be something electronic in the MH that is set to go off on a regular basis. An ultrasonic unit would not have a clock in it for that sort of timing why would it. Even if it did it must have been unplugged from the system at some point if a new unit has been fitted and as they don't have a battery it would have no idea what time it was.

Has the vehicle got a tracker fitted ..

Does it go off if the habitation electrics are switched off ..

or it's this guy ( The Electrical Gremlin ) .. In which case it may be advisable to move on to something else ..

Gremlinelectricql8.jpg

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Concorde used to set off loads of car alarms at Heathrow long stay carparks twice a day ::bigsmile:.
Funny you should say that I was just wondering if where it's stored was under a flight path but it if it was that it would happen every day.
However it could be some activity outside that is making the van sway. Ultrasonic detectors can be a bit finicky our alarm has gone off a few times when we have popped out for a few mins and heating was on (OK if you disable internal sensors). I think you need to get down there and observe what's going on in the environment but in the meantime why not set the alarm with the internal sensors disabled.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If the vehicle has central locking and the alarm locks the doors then it is connected to the CanBus. As the original OP says it can happen anywhere which rules out something local triggering it. Only other option would be something electronic in the MH that is set to go off on a regular basis. An ultra sonic unit would not have a clock in it for that sort of timing why would it.
The OP has said that it is the Ultra Sonic unit causing the trigger.

Useless in a motorhome anyway in my opinion

OP
OP
C
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Yes Lenny will disable internal sensors. The whole thing is so bizarre in that it goes off at the same time but only fortnightly. Eliminated all external sources as it happens wherever the vehicle is.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The cheapest and most exposed components by far in the alarm system are the sensors. The length of cabling to them could be inducing interference (as any radio amateur about that) and perhaps a ferrite bead choke (a block that clips over the sensor leads) might do the trick, otherwise gradual elimination of each trigger.

This process of elimination should (in my view) start with the most probably vulnerable sensors. For example, bonnet and hab door, just in case a heavy delivery lorry (dustcart?) is causing vibrations and setting off one of them through vibration. The ultrasonic transducers are prone to condensation problems, easily popped into a jiffy bag to keep it warm, etc. I respect Eddie's preferences, but ultrasonic detectors are used by most car manufacturers, and there has to be a reason for that preference

Not sure why the alarm would be interconnected with the CAN bus save a possible interface with central locking. But we are told this is a sensor issue. Anyway, those are my thoughts, progressive isolation is far more likely to reveal the cause of the problem. Probably just a 50p microswitch under the bonnet or a misplaced magnet on the hab door causing the problem

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Funny you should say that I was just wondering if where it's stored was under a flight path but it if it was that it would happen every day.
Unless it was a particular flight - perhaps a heavy cargo flying lower, that only was scheduled every fortnight...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes Lenny will disable internal sensors. The whole thing is so bizarre in that it goes off at the same time but only fortnightly. Eliminated all external sources as it happens wherever the vehicle is.
Forgot you said wherever it is. So got be something in the van.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Gemini is a Modular Alarm not CanBus
Agreed, the gemini website includes a list of vehicles it can be fitted to but it states 'except canbus models'
My first thought was the EMU/ECU, which will contain some kind of clock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back