Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Hi Lenny

My thoughts are there is a fault in the electrics as the fridge runs OK on both gas and on EHU. In addition the PV cells will not charge the HAB or motor battery.

Re: the other seat: Never taken this out but should be possible although it does not swivel which is necessary to remove the one under the drivers seat (Fiat Ducato). I have enough fun with one battery let alone 2!!

The charger I use is the CTEK MMS 5 which has a setting for AGM but not GEL.

Which GEL's do you use?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The solar not charging your batteries is probably due to the regulator being overloaded and shutting down.

The fridge not working on 12v could be the 12v element on the fridge blown should be easy to replace or a fault with the relay that feeds the fridge.

You have replaced the original charger with the CETEK, could be the relay for the fridge is in the original charger box, I wonder if something has been done when rewiring that has affected it.

I use Sonnenschein gels an Exide company they make the Exide gels almost identical to the Exide but cheaper.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Also with gels you need a charger that give the correct absorption charge for gel otherwise they will only charge to 80%.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
It seems many like the old lead acid, some swear by the gel and the 3rd group go for AGM + the billionaires who opt for lithium!

To my tiny mind they can't all be right - or wrong. Maybe it's the brands or purely how you use them?

One thing for certain - most members know much more about electrics than yours truly!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It seems many like the old lead acid
I do, ie, two of them in the form of traction batteries, which get checked over for fluid levels twice a year, and never give me any bother. They are charged via solar, and a Sterling B2B, when not on EHU.
I'm hoping to get 10 x years out of them. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Hi Jock
Thanks, what are traction batteries and what is the Sterling B2B?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I do, ie, two of them in the form of traction batteries, which get checked over for fluid levels twice a year, and never give me any bother. They are charged via solar, and a Sterling B2B, when not on EHU.
I'm hoping to get 10 x years out of them. ;)

Cheers,

Traction batteries are very good but limited in range of sizes unlikely to get any to fit under a seat, no go on tell me I'm wrong.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Traction batteries are very good but limited in range of sizes unlikely to get any to fit under a seat, no go on tell me I'm wrong.
I wouldn't have a clue on that Lenny :LOL: but I know that they can be tall, and are heavy bu@@ers. :(

My leisure batteries are in the redundant gas cylinder locker, due to an underslung bulk tank being fitted. (y)

Cheers,

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
The solar not charging your batteries is probably due to the regulator being overloaded and shutting down.

The fridge not working on 12v could be the 12v element on the fridge blown should be easy to replace or a fault with the relay that feeds the fridge.

You have replaced the original charger with the CETEK, could be the relay for the fridge is in the original charger box, I wonder if something has been done when rewiring that has affected it.
Hi Lenny & other Funsters

By the way: M/H is a Chausson C626 Flash (Reg. 2014) on a Ducato chasis.

You mentioned changing the solar controller, do you also mean regulator, or is this a separate piece of kit?

Secondly with the Thetford N3000 fridge/freezer, have tried to find the fuse - possibly in the main fuse box? All fuses next to the battery charger are OK tho'. Regarding the relay to the fridge there is wiring going along the top of the wall cabinets that lead to the fridge so perhaps the relay is there - have yet to take a closer look there. If there is one there how do I replace it?

I haven't changed the battery charger - I just use a CETEK MMS 5 to keep the batteries topped up.

Sorry so many questions but I am at square 3 (out of 100!) on the learning curve.

Cheers
Langton

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Controller/regulator same thing.

Don't know why you are using the CETEK the on board charger should be more than capable of charging the batteries, modern vans have multi stage chargers.

With the fridge start by checking the 12v element use a multimeter on the ohms setting it should about 1 ohm.
A failed element is the most common reason for fridges not working on 12v.

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Hi Lenny

Thanks for clarification.

half the problem is finding some of the things that need checking! Whereabouts is the 12v element on the fridge or are you refuring to the grid type element that you can see at the back when removing the side grids?

Couldn't agree more re the on-board charger. The first year we had it - in the winter of 2015 the PV cells did a first class job and kept both batteries topped up. But in the following winter the hab battery went as flat as a pancake, the PV cells stopped topping it up. I tried rescuing it with the CETEK but to no avail. So put in a new lead acid in May, 2016 and as the cells were not topping it up had to use the CETEK every 8-9 days. The motor battery as a comparison only needed topping up once a month at the most (also lead acid).

Nothing much to drain the hab battery - far more draining the motor battery.

So there's my quandry.

Cheers

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You should be able to get at the 12v element connections behind the lower grill, the element is normally in the chimney but wires should terminate at a connection block on the back of the fridge have a look at the Thetford manual.

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Dead right. Max hgt is 220 mm. Thought the batteries suggested could go on the roof

Thanks for the tips will search manual too.

I

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
The truck batteries that Bill refers to, are about the same size as a 220A Elecsol, so height wise, not a problem, however, they are quite long, so not suitable for under seat installation.

If I had to install under the seat, I'd be looking at Gels too. As well as being a safer installation in the event of a serious crash, I just couldn't be ar$ed with the palaver of removing seats, just to check FLA acid levels. :(

Cheers,

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Removing the front seat is a pain in the proverbial. Done it twice now in the Chausson C626 Flash, so have added the instructions in a review on this site. Hope it helps some brave soul!

Lenny has two have batteries and suggested I have one under each seat. Said I have enough problems with one let alone two. How do you link them up and arrange the charger?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny has two have batteries
Don't be silly I've got 3 batteries.

To link two batteries just use 16 mm sq cable, advisable to fuse both but not essential as they are fairly close together. In an ideal world you would take the negitive feed from one battery and positive from the other but not essential.

Charger should be able to cope with two batteries, 2nd battery is a standard option on most vans sometimes they fit auxiliary chargers.

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Any of the Funster experts got any tips as to why our cells are not keeping our batteries charged? Solar Charger (from Solar Technology International) reads 19 vs from the panel. Have a feeling the Solar Charger my need replacing with a Voltronic charger which appear to be much better.

On a separate note I have been trying to find out why our Thetford N3175 will not charge on the 12 v cycle. No probs. with EHU or gas.

I dropped a mail to Chris Hayes at Out and About caravans, who returned with an answer next morning. Have yet to try out his suggestion but his help is welcome and I can recommend O and A for responding

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Replace with bog standard wet lead acid like the Varta LFD90. Gel batteries are for portable things that may tip up, they also aren't as good delivering high currents as the plates get hot.
Best advice you will get.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Any of the Funster experts got any tips as to why our cells are not keeping our batteries charged? Solar Charger (from Solar Technology International) reads 19 vs from the panel. Have a feeling the Solar Charger my need replacing with a Voltronic charger which appear to be much better.
That's a bit of string question ... it depends on how much solar input you have, what the weather's been like, and how much battery capacity ...

On a separate note I have been trying to find out why our Thetford N3175 will not charge on the 12 v cycle. No probs. with EHU or gas.
Most will only use 12v when the engine is running so you'd need to alter the wiring/relay/connection to get it it use it on 12v without.

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
That's a bit of string question ... it depends on how much solar input you have, what the weather's been like, and how much battery capacity ...

Most will only use 12v when the engine is running so you'd need to alter the wiring/relay/connection to get it it use it on 12v without.
Hi Minxy

The m/home is in the sun most of the day and the Solar Charger shows a minimum of 12 v on the wires coming from the cells. The battery is a brand new 100 Ahm hour AGM which seems to hold its current well.

We do only use the 12 v option when the engine is running as you mention. So as soon as we switch to 12 v when underway the cooling stops.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back