Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks one and all for useful comments and good advice, all of which has left me............... totally confused:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Now find that I am size limited regarding the compartment where battery lives........ more complication as most I have looked at are too tall :RollEyes: Will get there in the end, no immediate panic..... there is always EHU to fall back on if needed.:ROFLMAO:

Regards, Bryan

Last edited:
OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
if you are caught needing leisure batteries in spain there is a battery megastore in barcelona , link below . they stock alphalines dc31's among others and they speak english. €123 (£100 ish) for a dc31 which isnt much more than you will pay in the uk. i just bought 3 posted to local chandlery shop,::bigsmile: hope this helps sean

http://en.bateriamegastore.es/product/DC31/

Many thanks for this excellent link, very professional and informative website, all info needed right up front. Unfortunately, having check dimensions of battery storage compartment cannot find one of theirs which fits.....heightwise.

Best regards, Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I use three of these
Broken Link Removed

Out of curiosity, followed your link to ebay supplier and found it to be the same company operating in Spain as Megabateria.es. the batteries you bought are list priced by them in Spain at €140........ go figure !!!!
Thanks for the link, will use them when in UK if not forced to buy earlier.

Regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
New van has two gel 85ah batteries which gives me only 170 ah which I don't think is enough as we rally and wild quite a bit.
It seems that one extra gel battery would cost just about as much as 3 new 110ah lead acid batteries. Gel = 275ah, lead acid = 330ah. For roughly the same cost.
If I decide to go lead acid Bryan would you want to buy the gels? They would be less than a year old in June. Height 200mm.

Mike

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
New van has two gel 85ah batteries which gives me only 170 ah which I don't think is enough as we rally and wild quite a bit.
It seems that one extra gel battery would cost just about as much as 3 new 110ah lead acid batteries. Gel = 275ah, lead acid = 330ah. For roughly the same cost.
If I decide to go lead acid Bryan would you want to buy the gels? They would be less than a year old in June. Height 200mm.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Nice to see that you have time for non Moroccan stuff....... hope new van is OK after sand trap experience.

Thanks for the offer but as advice and comments reach me I am coming to believe that Gels are not for us. You have seen our old bus and I do not believe we have the correct equipment on board to charge gel batteries + have only maximum 190 clearance.

Best wishes to Gwen and all the gang please.

Regards, Bryan

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Many thanks for this excellent link, very professional and informative website, all info needed right up front. Unfortunately, having check dimensions of battery storage compartment cannot find one of theirs which fits.....heightwise.

Best regards, Bryan
I too noticed that the Megastore prices in Spain are significantly higher than in the UK. My battery tray has a height limit of 200mm which means the nearest standard height is 190mm. This may be the same for you. I know that Exide make a gel battery in the 190mm height format but it's expensive. The Elecsol 110 Ah is the same format and you may still find them in dealers although I believe the business no longer operates. Banner also make a 190mm high battery.
Here are a couple more from the megastore website in the UK, one Varta flooded lead-acid and one AGM by a name I do not know.
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Many solar charging systems have the controller directly connected to the batteries. I don't know if some controllers have a setting for gel batteries, I just know mine hasn't. On a good summers days my solar can charge at 20A and up to 14.4v, this may not be a good idea for gel batteries though (mine are ordinary lead/acid)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine can charge any rubbish :ROFLMAO:

CA_12201321243048-L.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Mike

Hi Mike

we have 2x80 or 85ah GEL and can go three or for nights stopping in and watching TV for a few hours (4 or 5) thats in crap weather with no solar gain, if at a rally in the better months and solar gain from 320 watts we can last for ever and thats using the inverter as and when we wish.

Martin

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
I too noticed that the Megastore prices in Spain are significantly higher than in the UK. My battery tray has a height limit of 200mm which means the nearest standard height is 190mm. This may be the same for you. I know that Exide make a gel battery in the 190mm height format but it's expensive. The Elecsol 110 Ah is the same format and you may still find them in dealers although I believe the business no longer operates. Banner also make a 190mm high battery.
Here are a couple more from the megastore website in the UK, one Varta flooded lead-acid and one AGM by a name I do not know.
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

the prices are not that different. £ 94.50 in uk against €123 in spain. only a couple of quid for the dc31's !

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hi Mike

we have 2x80 or 85ah GEL and can go three or for nights stopping in and watching TV for a few hours (4 or 5) thats in crap weather with no solar gain, if at a rally in the better months and solar gain from 320 watts we can last for ever and thats using the inverter as and when we wish.

Martin

Thanks for that Martin. We have now got (thanks to the Fat Man at Tagazoute) 380w of solar so confident of our ability to recharge but just feel 2x85w of storage is on the stingy side if in the uk and the weather is shit for a week. I suppose in that case the cheapest option is to go on a site for a night to use EHU. I may just leave batteries as is until they need replacing.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for that Martin. We have now got (thanks to the Fat Man at Tagazoute) 380w of solar so confident of our ability to recharge but just feel 2x85w of storage is on the stingy side if in the uk and the weather is shit for a week. I suppose in that case the cheapest option is to go on a site for a night to use EHU. I may just leave batteries as is until they need replacing.

I agree it is a bit on the low side and if I was replacing I would go for around 250ah, there again quite fancy efoy or hydramax silent 12volt generation units so that would take the pressure off the storage side.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back