Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I posted on here a few months ago about a seized Geist hinge. Eventually we had to replace it and a new one cost almost £30.
After that I went round the whole van spraying hinges with silicone but on holiday in the Netherlands a few weeks ago another one seized.We went into an LMC dealership (it's an LMC with a Geist badge) and they fixed the seized hinge for half an hour's labour (30€) and gave us coffee as well! (Great customer service.)
I wish I'd thought to ask them how they did it as there was no charge for a new hinge so we can only assume they managed to free it.
Now two more hinges have seized and I am getting really fed up. Our local garage tried everything to free the hinges but failed.
Does anyone know how to source hinges that are a different design?
Clearly these are poorly designed as I've read a number of posts from other Geist owners with the same problem.
:Sad:
Any ideas?

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
can you post some pics,so we might be able to help you.
i had a proplem with my hinges and managed to cure them so might be able to help:thumb:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Chris.
I'll take some pics and then try to put them on here.
Mags

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Here is the seized hinge
5984379436_ea5e3d2387_s.jpg

Which I think can be replaced with Link Removed
And I'm told by a big ironmongery supply firm that these are flag hinges and that stainless steel might be better.

Hope that helps
Thanks again
Mags

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
mags
can you pull them apart?
mine were much the same, but i could pull them apart,( once off the van) and used silicone(sp) grease to free them up:thumb:
you might have to take them off,if riveted ,drill the rivets and replace rivets when refitting,if screwed, unscrew'
will take about 5 mins a hinge?:thumb:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Chris
The garage tried that (I think they felt bad because they were trying to get under the flap to check the brakes) and spent ages trying to do it.
They are totally seized.
I'm going to have to buy new ones but will make certain they are liberally oiled before putting them back on.
Interestingly the Geist workshop said I should use 3 in 1 oil but others have said silicone.
Any thoughts on which is best?
Thanks again
Mags

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
after looking at the picture of the lmc hinges they look like standard static caravan door hinges (for non double glazed doors) and they are cheaper as they are not branded hope this helps:thumb:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that. I looked at the static caravan hinges and they are slightly different. But it was a good thought. Have ordered the new ones now and got a bit better price from Geilst direct.
Will be lubricating them liberally!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back