LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You know the UP function in the Fiat, so beautifully modelled at the bottom of this picture that I've nicked from @Techno100 's thread - THANK YOU - does anybody use it? What difference(s) does it actually make? (We have Comfortmatic gearbox).

CA_01071512382836-L.jpg

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
nice try, thank you for the thought Wildman, but no, it's to do with travelling uphill when you're in automatic, supposed to select better gearing that a person can - just wondered how well it works, if it makes any huge difference

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Yes. I live on a hill & the last few hundred yards involves a very steep narrow road with cars parked on one side. The turn in takes you from going downhill to very steeply uphill in the space of a van length. There is only a few inches either side, so you can't really rush it, especially as it's a different car each time in the pinch point.

If I forget to press the UP button before turning into that road, the poor thing nearly dies on me & gets in a right tizwos. The effect of the button is to make the box change down earlier & change up later.

When I set off again, I'm still on a hill, but not as extreme as the approach. The first mile involves several uphill starts at junctions. I don't want to use too much throttle until the engine has fully warmed up, but without the button pressed & with only part throttle, the box changes up too early & then dies in the next gear. There is a big gap between first & second & on a hill, the road speed drops faster than the engine revs, so in normal mode, by the time it's ready to take up drive again in second, you can be almost stationary.

The other option, of course, is just to stick it in manual. The advantage of changing the gears yourself is that you can see what is ahead, while the autobox can only react to what is happening at the time.

I think it works pretty well. I think I might still use manual if I ever decide to take the van over Wrynose Pass though. :)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Great information @TheCaller , we both now understand. Useful too as we have similar hills & corners at home, especially getting to our nearest gas station. Thanks very much (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Lucky for you @TheCaller that you live in Lincolnshire, where the hills are more like bumps :D

seriously though, haven't Fiat been in the news for their 500 models not being able to drive up hills

Maybe Fiats all have issues with 'slopes'

Last edited:
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
ours managed 3 months last year including the lakes, the highlands, the pennines... can't be too bad can it?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Lucky for you Broken Link Removed that you live in Lincolnshire, where are more like bumps

They may only be bumps, but they can be quite steep ones. The one that gives me the problem is only about 50 yards long, but I would guess it's 1 in 4, maybe 1 in 3. No problem, so long as I get the van in the right gear.

I've yet to encounter anything it's had a problem with. Very steep & wet or slippery would be a problem, because of weight transfer away from the front wheels. Loss of traction would always be the problem rather than lack of power - 1st gear is low.

On something very steep, you might have to go all the way up in 1st, because of the autobox slow gearchange & the big gap between 1st & 2nd. I'll have to experiment next time I'm down in the Quantocks - steeper there than the Lake District passes.

You ploughing through the snow ok with rear wheel drive?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My understanding, to add to what's already been written, is it holds lower gears, delaying changing up. It doesn't actually find lower gears than the transmission already has but if you are say driving slowly up your drive in first it won't suddenly decide to change into second. You can of course get the same or a better effect if you knock it into manual mode and thus have almost complete control over what gear it is in - it will still change down if it has to in manual mode but it will never change up unless to tell it to.

Reactions: CWH

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Lucky for you @TheCaller that you live in Lincolnshire, where the hills are more like bumps :D

seriously though, haven't Fiat been in the news for their 500 models not being able to drive up hills
Maybe Fiats all have issues with 'slopes'

The problem on the 500's is only on the facelifted 2014 models, they have installed "new" software and cocked it up. I believe the cars are being recalled to have the software updated to get rid of the problem. My 500 is 2013 and as long as you are in the right gear and keep the revs up I don't have any problems going up hills.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
it will still change down if it has to in manual mode but it will never change up unless to tell it to.
That's what I thought until I went to pass something & forgot it was in manual. Somewhere around the point it hit the rev limiter it changed up!

I have to admit that considering it's just a van, it's a pretty sophisticated & clever bit of kit. Far better engine braking than on any other autobox I've driven. Occasionally it tries a bit too hard to be clever & gets in a bit of a knot, but I'm pleased with it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's what I thought until I went to pass something & forgot it was in manual. Somewhere around the point it hit the rev limiter it changed up!

I have to admit that considering it's just a van, it's a pretty sophisticated & clever bit of kit. Far better engine braking than on any other autobox I've driven. Occasionally it tries a bit too hard to be clever & gets in a bit of a knot, but I'm pleased with it.
Didn't know it did that, but it makes sense like the automatic change down - an attempt to prevent the human in charge from damaging anything!

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
The effect of the button is to make the box change down earlier & change up later...........

without the button pressed & with only part throttle, the box changes up too early & then dies in the next gear. There is a big gap between first & second & on a hill, the road speed drops faster than the engine revs, so in normal mode, by the time it's ready to take up drive again in second, you can be almost stationary.

:)

Apologies for selective quote, but it says what's what exactly. I just leave the UP button permanently on - it stops the box changing up too soon on flat as well as hills - just makes it all a bit sharper and more 'car-like' to drive.
I've done this over 18 months and 21,000 miles without any ill-effects so far.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
.With the UP button on, can you still "force" a gear change through acceleration? (Would you want/need to?)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
.With the UP button on, can you still "force" a gear change through acceleration? (Would you want/need to?)
I guess so, tap the lever to change up as normal.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Going uphill I find that by being a bit heavy on the gas pedal I can 'force' a down-shift

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks @Techno100 , I have the manual, I was interested to know peoples experience of using it as I haven't yet & I knew there's be somebody on Fun that would have

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Given that David wrote that from the Scottish Highlands, I thought I would let it pass. :D And he is used to the Peak District.

But you are right - it is a common misconception that Lincolnshire is flat. Some of it is - very, but by no means all. Let's face it though, while some of the Wolds are steep all right, they never do get all that high.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Just be careful when you press the button, first time I tried mine it dissappeared into the dashboard, took some retrieving too.
Geoff.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Geoff that's brilliant - a good laugh to start the day! :D:LOL: (sorry...)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back