Gear Knob (1 Viewer)

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
My gear knob has fallen off.

Any ideas on what to use to stick it back on again.

Many thanks

:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi droop and welcome.

if its just the knob come off the gear stick and theres no possible way to fix it properly then a bit of ARALDITE 2 part apoxy will do it.

sticks wood, glass, metal, most plastics etc

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
hi droop and welcome.

if its just the knob come off the gear stick and theres no possible way to fix it properly then a bit of ARALDITE 2 part apoxy will do it.

sticks wood, glass, metal, most plastics etc

I agree.....if you can not get a replacement, or don't want a replacement gear knob.
then yes as John has suggested ARALDITE 2 PART RESIN ...some are 30 mins ....set some are 5 mins set...... fully cured in 24 hours

Mel :thumb:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Dear Droopy,

I was about to give you a caring, sensitive bit of advice, as usual, to what I thought was a tragic problem ("My knob gear has fallen off"), when I realised it was not quite so personal as I thought. W*nker!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
Thanks. I'll try the Araldite. Next problem is trying to find something to hold it on while it hardens what with the spring trying to force it off.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
never had one off so didnt know there was a spring in there.

five minute araldite and hold it on for 10 or 15 minutes...i know it'll seem a lifetime but you'll know its fully on.
as mel said...cures in 24hrs so dont use it once its started to cure.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks. I'll try the Araldite. Next problem is trying to find something to hold it on while it hardens what with the spring trying to force it off.

Was it glued on ?

If threaded you may be asking for trouble at a later date.

Consider what happens if it comes off in traffic.

OP
OP
D

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
Was it glued on ?

If threaded you may be asking for trouble at a later date.

Consider what happens if it comes off in traffic.

It was glued on. No big deal if it comes off in traffic, you just drive without it. Most uncomfortable though. Have done it before but don't particularly want to do it again, hence the original question.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i had the same problem a while back with the knob coming of in traffic, bought a new gear knob from a fiat parts shop at a cost of £35, they just knock on to a set of splines

OP
OP
D

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
i had the same problem a while back with the knob coming of in traffic, bought a new gear knob from a fiat parts shop at a cost of £35, they just knock on to a set of splines

I'm glad it's not just me. I'd rather not pay £35 if I can stick this one back on though.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Weve just had to buy a new one at the cost of £35 as well. We fixed the old one but it came of at a small roundabout in Glastonbury:cry: Just managed to get parked and wedged it back on. Feel a lot happier with a replacement. Its obvioulsy a common problem.

Sonja

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
When a gearknob 'falls off' a six year old vehicle :whatthe::whatthe:......i'd be seriously concerned about what else may be falling apart!!

Even 30 plus year old 'bangers' are better built than this.

OP
OP
D

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
When a gearknob 'falls off' a six year old vehicle :whatthe::whatthe:......i'd be seriously concerned about what else may be falling apart!!

Even 30 plus year old 'bangers' are better built than this.

How does that comment 'help'? Start you're own topic if you can't contribute something positive or relevant to the conversation. :RollEyes:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
How does that comment 'help'? Start you're own topic if you can't contribute something positive or relevant to the conversation. :RollEyes:
When something as simple and basic as a gearknob 'falls off' a vehicle barely six years old....then I would certainly view concern for the overall build quality and condition as relative.

It's simply not acceptable in this day and age. If you think it is, then just bung it back on with a gunge of No Nails and wrap some sticky tape over it.

OP
OP
D

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
When something as simple and basic as a gearknob 'falls off' a vehicle barely six years old....then I would certainly view concern for the overall build quality and condition as relative.

It's simply not acceptable in this day and age. If you think it is, then just bung it back on with a gunge of No Nails and wrap some sticky tape over it.

Again not helpful.

Would you suggest that I scrap my motorhome because the gear knob fell off.

Or maybe I should take it back to the manufacturer and to quote you, tell them I am seriously concerned with my motorhomes overall build quality and condition because the gear knob has fallen off.

Read the first few posts of this topic and you will learn how to make helpful and relevant comments.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
dont know if this is helpful have them in blue and red badges

Link Removed

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Plenty on e-bay for a fiver all the after market type come with grub screw fitting as suggested earlier
Or as Bullet suggests get one off an old banger
See how much he wants for his:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Plenty on e-bay for a fiver.......
Oi mate.....at least my knob is all original plus it's still where it's supposed to be and not on the floor! :roflmto:

And yes......my 'tub' is certainly a lot older than six years! :RollEyes:

OP
OP
D

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
dont know if this is helpful have them in blue and red badges

Link Removed

Thanks for the ebay link. That's a very good option. If it doesn't 'stick' right and I mess up drilling the hole for the grub screw then that is the option I'll take.

OP
OP
D

Droop

Free Member
Feb 8, 2008
Funster No
Plenty on e-bay for a fiver all the after market type come with grub screw fitting as suggested earlier

Thanks for the support and help Geo. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back