Gear box issue (2 Viewers)

Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi all just put my ducato Autotrail into reverse but didn’t dip the clutch , loud clunk and stalled . Can select all gears still and reversed up little levelling ramps on pitch. However on tick over without clutch pedal depressed quite noticeable nocking noise. Depress clutch no noise and gears can be engaged. What damage do you think I have done and if I get recovery anyone recommend mechanic in Cambridgeshire somewhere near March. Help desperately needed ! Just on long weekend away in Norfolk at mo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Possible damage to clutch disc shock springs.
Depressing pedal will stop the disc spinning, release pedal and disc spins again.
It may just be a broken spring rattling but they are captive and shouldn't cause further damage.
My choice would be wait until I got home before investigating/repairing.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pagen
Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
been driving the wife’s automatic all week so pressed the brake pedal and engaged reverse however forgot I was in the manual mo Ho! Take it you think driving it will be ok, need to find someone fairly local who can repair this. If necessary I can get recovered but need to find somewhere to take it to

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Would categorically not drive that home or you may risk lunching the gearbox further. Just not worth it.
Could have snapped a layshaft, damaged dual mass, or cracked clutch driven plate. All of which if failed while driving would be sure to cause further damage. AA / RAC to a garage for inspection IMO.

Upvote 0

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
How old is it|?
Reason I ask is I had quite an expensive gearbox issue. Van was only just out of warranty, Fiat were really good. They paid for all the major parts, c. £1,200, I paid for labour and sundries, c. £800.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It could simply be that you are anticipating damage and the knock has always been there. Gear clearance can cause a regular tapping (not a serious knock) at idle. It will stop when the clutch is disengaged because the gearbox isn't connected. What you did isn't as dramatic as you perhaps imagine. Reverse is still (in most gearboxes) engaged by dogs or by direct movement of a gear with no synchromesh involved. Damage (if any) would likely be limited to a chipped dog or geartooth the last of which might cause a noise (pretty unlikely until engaged though). Once the gear has engaged the resultant forces are more or less absorbed by the engine/gearbox rubber mountings until the van moves or the engine stalls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I hope your gearbox issue turns out to be nothing serious but just a word of caution, I'm sure I heard somewhere that it's not good practice to reverse onto levelling ramps ?
Something to do with the reverse gear ratio and optimum engine revs/turbo performance that ends up with you having to slip the clutch excessively. I'm sure someone with the appropriate knowledge will be along to confirm or dispel the theory shortly.

Upvote 0
Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
Hi all just put my ducato Autotrail into reverse but didn’t dip the clutch , loud clunk and stalled . Can select all gears still and reversed up little levelling ramps on pitch. However on tick over without clutch pedal depressed quite noticeable nocking noise. Depress clutch no noise and gears can be engaged. What damage do you think I have done and if I get recovery anyone recommend mechanic in Cambridgeshire somewhere near March. Help desperately needed ! Just on long weekend away in Norfolk at mo
Is the noise like a 'chattering' then when you dip the clutch it disappears ? If so,that could be the same fault i have on my ducato at the moment,its in the garage at the moment having the gearbox re-furbed ,apparently its the reverse idler gear(the bearing collapses allowing the gear to try & engage) thats what the chattering noise is. Dont know how safe it will be to drive like this.
My MH is just inside the warranty(bought used from a dealer with 45k on the clock).
cost of refurb is about £600-£700 +labour.
hope you get it sorted.
kev

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pagen
Jun 26, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Yes, it is a chattering since my thinking I was on the automatic motor and didn’t dip clutch to engage reverse. Stops when I do dip clutch. Can engage all gears but am going to get recovered rather than risk further damage . It’s only done 19 thou but on a 57 plate and sadly no warranty! Really appreciate all help and suggestions on this marvellous site. Could someone set up a ‘go fund me page’ cos I reckon we are going to need it?!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back