Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I read somewhere (may have been on another forum) that there is a Garage in Spain that is owned by a Brit and does UK MOTs. Have been searching for the details but so far not found them......

I remember that too. I'm quite sure that there were further comments that questioned the validity of this as it was thought that they could not complete a legitimate test outside of UK. It was also questioned that Gibraltar might offer an MOT solution but again, there were comments to negate this hopeful solution.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Two interesting points you raise the first from an earlier post when you said that our vehicles must comply with all the rules of our country. It may work out the same but it is one of the rules drawn up in the Geneva conventions in the 50s that permits the use of our vehicles on other countries roads and the rules to be complied with are the type approval and manufactured state the vehicle was legal in it's home country.

The second point is also first enshrined in a Geneva convention and now has been included in the European human rights and is basically designed to avoid police writing what they want into a statement and getting the accused to sign it. It provides for free access to an Interpreter. If you can email me the detail of the country, police station and the date/s that someone has been charged I will take it up with both my local EU representative and MP who I feel sure will be able to get to the bottom of it.

Now I know, you know more than your letting on:ROFLMAO:

Last trip to Spain using an A frame
Stopped by the Spanish excuse for a police man and issued a fine notice

1. I showed him the "Official" letter from the A Frame maker

And he Smiled

2. I argued my point and showed him the Geneva Document

And he Laughed

3. I showed him my passport where Her Britannic Magisty Demands I be left alone to pass freely without let or hindrance

And He fell on the floor in histerics

4. I demanded an Interpreter

And he then Locked me up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
Cell 14 2nd floor:Doh:
ps they've great wifi here:thumb:

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Just picking up on a point made earlier by Bryan who said "No MOT = No insurance..."
The two are only related as far as obtaining a Vehicle Excise Licence, in that you cannot obtain a VEL or Tax disk as it is known, without Insurance and MOT if required.
If what you suggest was the case then anyone who prebooks their MOT test having had their previous VEL expire would drive to the testing station without insurance. Those who have put the vehicle into SORN would then also be without insurance on their way to be tested. There is no exemption from insurance when the motor vehicle is used or kept on a public road to attend a MOT test; the law merely exempts you from an MOT and VEL.
Finally the VEL is a way that the HM customs and Tax raise revenue from vehicles registered and used on UK roads. Swansea are unable to reach over the channel and insist that vehicles used on French or any other EU road pays into the UK Tax system. It is down to individual states to decide if they want to tax the use of vehicles on their roads by toll roads, Go Boxes, yearly certificates on number plates or whatever system the choose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Can only tell you that in France if you have a police controle with HGV your test and tax has to be in order.

Also if stoped in Belgium with any vehicle it hs to bein order for the country of registration.

Mel

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Just picking up on a point made earlier by Bryan who said "No MOT = No insurance..."
The two are only related as far as obtaining a Vehicle Excise Licence, in that you cannot obtain a VEL or Tax disk as it is known, without Insurance and MOT if required.
If what you suggest was the case then anyone who prebooks their MOT test having had their previous VEL expire would drive to the testing station without insurance. Those who have put the vehicle into SORN would then also be without insurance on their way to be tested. There is no exemption from insurance when the motor vehicle is used or kept on a public road to attend a MOT test; the law merely exempts you from an MOT and VEL.
Finally the VEL is a way that the HM customs and Tax raise revenue from vehicles registered and used on UK roads. Swansea are unable to reach over the channel and insist that vehicles used on French or any other EU road pays into the UK Tax system. It is down to individual states to decide if they want to tax the use of vehicles on their roads by toll roads, Go Boxes, yearly certificates on number plates or whatever system the choose.

That is true but what has that do do with UK registered vehicles in other European countries?
If your vehicle is UK registered you cannot pay the registration fee however collected in other European countries as you are not registered there.

Paying tolls, vignettes or black boxes as a visitor is not the same as being registered in that country.

Pete:Cool:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Did you see my post here?
Broken Link Removed

Example of a Motorhome Policy Wording:
http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/downloads/motorhome_insurance_policy.pdf

Terms and conditions
1.) The Motorhome must be permanently registered in the Territorial Limits and have a current MOT certificate. It shall at all times be maintained in a good mechanical and roadworthy condition and be regularly serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications.

If the insurer has it in their terms and conditions of insurance that a vehicle is MOT'd, then surely that is a condition of their insurance and by not abiding by it (if it is present for your insurer) you are no longer insured?

I can certainly understand the frustrations of a full-timer with regards to MOT. I would be interesting to understand the German view on this given they are the most prolific long-distance overland travellers of them all. Their MOT (TUV) lasts 2 years. Sprechen Sie Deutsch? :Eeek:

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Can only tell you that in France if you have a police controle with HGV your test and tax has to be in order.

Also if stoped in Belgium with any vehicle it hs to bein order for the country of registration.

Mel
Thanks for that Mel, I am sure you are right, but how unfair on the Continent, when they raise their road duties on HGVs via the Vignette or Go Boxes or even fuel duty.
Do you know if they issue any sort of fine or prohibition notice for not having UK tax or HGV test certificate? or what happens to anyone who has not got the correct documents?

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Purely for clarity
VEL ????

VED or Graduated VED
Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) (also known as vehicle tax, car tax and road tax) is a vehicle road use tax levied as an excise duty which must be paid for most types of vehicle which are to be used (or parked) on the public roads in the United Kingdom.[1] Vehicles used on public roads should display a current vehicle licence (tax disc) as proof of payment which will not be issued without prior proof that the vehicle has valid MOT and insurance. A Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) must be made for a registered vehicle that is not being used on the road, and which has been taxed since 31 January 1998. VED, which is collected and enforced by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), raised GB£5.63 billion in 2009.[2]
Vehicle tax was introduced in the 1888 budget and the current system of excise duty applying specifically to motor vehicles was introduced in 1920. This excise duty was ring-fenced for road construction and was paid directly into a special Road Fund from 1920 until 1937 after which it was treated as general taxation.[3] Even during this period the majority of the cost of road building and improvement came from general and local taxation due to the tax being too low for the upkeep of the roads.[4]

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Thanks for that Mel, I am sure you are right, but how unfair on the Continent, when they raise their road duties on HGVs via the Vignette or Go Boxes or even fuel duty.
Do you know if they issue any sort of fine or prohibition notice for not having UK tax or HGV test certificate? or what happens to anyone who has not got the correct documents?

There has been talk, of the Guardia in Spain confiscating foreign cars, that did not have current registration documents, from their country origin. However this has not happened to any one I know, so, as far as I'm concerned, it still remains, just talk.

There are I believe plenty of people who do "wing it" but they are in the main ex pats who elected not to import and register their cars.
I don't know anyone who has risked it on an expensive Motorhome.

Last edited:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
There has been talk, of the Guardia in Spain confiscating foreign cars, that did not have current registration documents, from their country origin. However this has not happened to any one I know, so, as far as I'm concerned, it still remains, just talk.

There are I believe plenty of people who do "wing it" but they are in the main ex pats who elected not to import and register their cars.
I don't know anyone who has risked it on an expensive Motorhome.

:Smile: Hi I know someone who had a merc ML taken of him tends to be if it is worth a bot they will have it if its a bit old and tatty they are not bothered they heve been to take a nice harley they go to the pound if fine not paid they are suposed to be dismantled but in reality they take the doors and wheels of photograph them then ship to the Uk or Russia in bits and reassembled then slod on its big business :ROFLMAO:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

My Motorhome insurance is quite specific on this matter. A vehicle insured with them must be roadworthy and maintain a current MOT and UK Road fund licence for the insurance to remain valid. There is the clause you quote for taking it to a pre book MOT. It does not say however from an MOT if it has failed.

John

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995

Long time ago in France I had police controle.
At the same time there they had UK officers also checking .
This was on the border France /Italy.
I had to lend €500 to a friend of mine {yes I have a friend}in Belgium to pay the fine for not having his paperwork with him.

I was also told the Frence police inform the UK of untaxed vehicles.

Mel

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
My Motorhome insurance is quite specific on this matter. A vehicle insured with them must be roadworthy and maintain a current MOT and UK Road fund licence for the insurance to remain valid. There is the clause you quote for taking it to a pre book MOT. It does not say however from an MOT if it has failed.

John
When you consider the logic of the insurance company you must come to the conclusion that this clause has been inserted by clerks who have little or no understanding of the MOT legislation. To "maintain a current MOT" which we know only lasts as long as the vehicle is at the testing station proves that. If you were to try to maintain a current one testing every day would not fulfill the clause. The test is a once a year test to indicate that certain conditions were met on that day, the first phrase of being roadworthy is the important one.
Secondly the Road fund Licence was abandoned in the 50s when the Vehicle Excise Licence or Duty came into being. This was to avoid the government from being critisised for not spending the money on the roads. So what are they talking about using terms that are meaningless?

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Long time ago in France I had police controle.
At the same time there they had UK officers also checking .
This was on the border France /Italy.
I had to lend €500 to a friend of mine {yes I have a friend}in Belgium to pay the fine for not having his paperwork with him.

I was also told the Frence police inform the UK of untaxed vehicles.

Mel
I guess you do not get seven days in Belgium to produce your documents as you do in the UK. I presume from previous posts that your friend was a UK citizen in a UK vehicle, so I am intrigued as to what offence he had committed to get a 500 euro fine several years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back