lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Apologies. I see it's been discussed on another page.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
They only had £200 in cash and £300 worth of jewellery. Am sure the people responsible for this atrocity are feeling a bit peed off they went to all that trouble and only caught poor campers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Why do people carry £300 (or any other figure) of jewellery on a month trip in a motorhome.o_O

I don't possess any jewellery, and SWMBO who has tons, only takes her rings(which would require surgery to remove), and a few costume jewellery necklaces worth nearer £3

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Why does she look ten years older then him, and he's reported as being ten years older then her......Or is he the one wearing the frock??

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So, Mo..... What you are saying is they will actually be worth robbing by Sunday?

Quick!! I know a couple of Eastern Europeans who work for British Gas..........(y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I`m thinking of selling my M.Home and buying a tent... :crying:

At least I will hear the zip being undone.. :doh::rofl:

Daughter-in-law's parents camping on a five-star site in France last summer had their tent cut whilst they were asleep - wallet and purse with cash and cards stolen. No gas involved though!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don't understand how sufficient gas could be injected into an area of around 12cub metres to the level to put people to sleep and not kill them.
It takes very skilled anaesthetists to carry out this task in hospitals etc and yet a bunch of Eastern European tea leaves can do the same work through a vent into a camper van , mmmmm

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It's just an excuse for getting pi**ed, going to bed with the door unlocked, realising it in the morning, and jumping at the chance of turning a ten bob watch into a Rolex Oyster for the insurance company, by getting the local Sheriff to back your case.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I'm pretty sure this is 2 separate cases the one with £500 cash in the sun involved a motorhome but the one in the daily mail mentions the thieves entering through patio doors ....there's been several stories over the years involving hijackings etc

I think it's a tourism plan to encorouge people to use campsites :p

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't want it to be true or think it is , but all these stories wouldn't it be good if someone could come on here and say yes it was me , we have the canister , the police have caught them it is such and such gas and we are stil here not blown up just gassed

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Taken from Facebook.
Statement by the Royal College of Anaesthetists.

Broken Link Removed

Statement on alleged gassing in motor vehicles

Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth.

It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use.

The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used.

If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.

13 September 2007

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

This seems to happen in places like service stations more often than in the normal Aires . I did read somewhere a while ago about 3 caravans having been robbed while the occupants slept in a campsite in Peronne but no mention of gas. Personally we would never stay overnight in a service station and when we are in Aires or unsecure campsites we always alarm before bedtime . We also have really good hiding place for passports and credit cards and only carry one card and a little cash when out and about . We leave jewellery and good watches in a safe at home and use cheaper alternatives on our travels . So far so good .

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don't understand how sufficient gas could be injected into an area of around 12cub metres to the level to put people to sleep and not kill them.
It takes very skilled anaesthetists to carry out this task in hospitals etc and yet a bunch of Eastern European tea leaves can do the same work through a vent into a camper van , mmmmm
Probably used about £500 of gas.........
In reality, its a good way to claim back on your insurance if you've overspent in the first week
Allan

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I`m thinking of selling my M.Home and buying a tent... :crying:

At least I will hear the zip being undone.. :doh::rofl:
The ones who broke into my tent in southern Spain one night used scissors, you could tell by the serrated edge. They also chose a very windy night so the tent was flapping about and any noise would be hidden.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Just put a sticker on the back saying

" no fools left in van overnight"

And sleep soundly , if they nick my role they'll get a shock ...It cost €12 in lanzarote

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
+++ DEJA VU ALERT +++ DEJA VU ALERT +++

Broken Link Removed

Claim by train traveller that they were gassed and robbed by dastardly Johnny Foreigner in Italy

Familiar sounding quotation from one of the overnight train traveller forums:

"Aside from the fact that the travel guidebooks do not mention anything about gassings, the night-train gassing story fits the typical profile of an urban legend. For starters, it’s something that you hear about through word of mouth within the backpacker’s circuit (heard it from someone who met someone who…) and never from the mainstream news media. And secondly, these stories always take place either in 'Eastern' Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, etc) or in Italy, reflecting a North American xenophobia towards 'Eastern' European and Southern European countries (an urban legend almost always reflects a society’s inherent beliefs, fears, or&nbsprejudices). If these gas robbers really did exist, then they’d be committing these crimes all over Europe, given how incredibly easy it is to travel around this relatively small continent in the age of EU, Schengen, and cheap airfares; if the mob, drug dealers, illegal migrants, and human traffickers have managed to penetrate every European country, then gas-using robbers would have done the same. And if gassing was an effective way to rob someone, then the method would have spread worldwide. Let alone the medical training and equipment required to put someone under anaesthesia without killing them. Thus, not only does the gassing story fit the typical profile of an urban legend (that’s been around for ages), but it isn’t even plausible."

Reactions: JJ

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
A long time ago in Venezuela, when I was about 6 or 7 a burglar broke into our house at night and chloroformed my parents (but not me). They both woke up in the morning with head aches and found various things missing.
They assumed it was chloroform - easy to carry around and easy to apply if someone is already sound asleep.
The police weren't interested

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
like jj i have stayed on garage parking lots inbetween the trucks and always have a great nights sleep

Reactions: JJ

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I find the lack of sympathy from you funsters a bit alarming . What if it is all true ? A while back a builder working on our house told us that they had overnighted in a service station in France in a brand new motorhome and someone had actually chucked a hissing canister into their van in the middle of the night through their roof hatch which was open without an insect screen because it was very hot . Luckily he was awake at the time and chucked the canister out and after saw a car speeding away . He and his family got out of there pretty fast and swore never to stay in such a location again. Because the canister was still hissing they did not investigate what it was. I had no reason to doubt his story .

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi

I find the lack of sympathy from you funsters a bit alarming . What if it is all true ? A while back a builder working on our house told us that they had overnighted in a service station in France in a brand new motorhome and someone had actually chucked a hissing canister into their van in the middle of the night through their roof hatch which was open without an insect screen because it was very hot . Luckily he was awake at the time and chucked the canister out and after saw a car speeding away . He and his family got out of there pretty fast and swore never to stay in such a location again. Because the canister was still hissing they did not investigate what it was. I had no reason to doubt his story .

The may be more sympathy if anyone was caught committing a crime like this so that they can be questioned as to how they obtained the gas that can incapacitate such a wide range of people in such a large space without having killed anyone and why it is not used by medical professionals because, surely, it would save thousands of lives accross the world and make anesthetists redundant? With so many people coming and going on the sites where these crimes seem to be committed, it surprises me that no one has ever been caught and the only evidence of the event is supposed grogginess by the victims and some missing items.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back