Daughter-in-law's parents camping on a five-star site in France last summer had their tent cut whilst they were asleep - wallet and purse with cash and cards stolen. No gas involved though!I`m thinking of selling my M.Home and buying a tent...
At least I will hear the zip being undone..
Statement on alleged gassing in motor vehicles
Despite the increasing numbers of reports of people being gassed in motor-homes or commercial trucks in France, and the warning put out by the Foreign Office for travellers to be aware of this danger, this College remains of the view that this is a myth.
It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether, chloroform or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motor-home without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray administered directly into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day. Even the more powerful modern volatile agents would need to be delivered in tankerloads of carrier gas by a large compressor. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain. Moreover, these drugs would be too expensive for the average thief to use.
The other important point to remember is that general anaesthetics are potentially very dangerous, which is why they are only administered in the UK by doctors who have undergone many years of postgraduate training in the subject and who remain with the unconscious patient throughout the anaesthetic. Unsupervised patients are likely to die from obstruction of the airway by their tongues falling back. In the Moscow seige approximately 20% of the people died, many probably from airway obstruction directly related to the agent used.
If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.
13 September 2007
Probably used about £500 of gas.........I don't understand how sufficient gas could be injected into an area of around 12cub metres to the level to put people to sleep and not kill them.
It takes very skilled anaesthetists to carry out this task in hospitals etc and yet a bunch of Eastern European tea leaves can do the same work through a vent into a camper van , mmmmm
The ones who broke into my tent in southern Spain one night used scissors, you could tell by the serrated edge. They also chose a very windy night so the tent was flapping about and any noise would be hidden.I`m thinking of selling my M.Home and buying a tent...
At least I will hear the zip being undone..
The may be more sympathy if anyone was caught committing a crime like this so that they can be questioned as to how they obtained the gas that can incapacitate such a wide range of people in such a large space without having killed anyone and why it is not used by medical professionals because, surely, it would save thousands of lives accross the world and make anesthetists redundant? With so many people coming and going on the sites where these crimes seem to be committed, it surprises me that no one has ever been caught and the only evidence of the event is supposed grogginess by the victims and some missing items.Hi
I find the lack of sympathy from you funsters a bit alarming . What if it is all true ? A while back a builder working on our house told us that they had overnighted in a service station in France in a brand new motorhome and someone had actually chucked a hissing canister into their van in the middle of the night through their roof hatch which was open without an insect screen because it was very hot . Luckily he was awake at the time and chucked the canister out and after saw a car speeding away . He and his family got out of there pretty fast and swore never to stay in such a location again. Because the canister was still hissing they did not investigate what it was. I had no reason to doubt his story .