Gassed up, but no gas ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We've finally managed to fill the new LPG bottle, it took about 20 litres. The fill guage on the bottle did not register any gas in the cylinder for a good 30 minutes, is this normal on first fill ?

Then we opened the tap on the bottle, turned on the regulator tap on the Hymer, and tried to light the gas hob but no gas.

Any ideas ? This is this first time for us and believe me I was terrified filling up with gas and using it for the first time.

I've looked in the Hymer book, but nothing about any other isolator taps except under the hob in the drawer.

Just one other thing, we don't have a Hymer Control Panel fitted yet as it's away for repair to Shaudt in Germany, will this be the reason we have no gas ?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
On some appliances, you have to hold the knob appropriate to the burner you're trying to light on the hob IN. Then activate the igniter (or use a wand or match) and then slowly let the knob out.

It's the same when you operate the fridge on gas (apart from striking a match of course :D)

Try that,
Hope this helps
James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
As i recall there is another isolator control knob that is situated over the cooker , if yours is a rear kitchen area layout. There is a bank of knobs , one for cooker one foe the fridge one for the boiler etc. if you have not used your van before they may have been switch to the off position by the previous owner. it may also be a good idea to let everyone know what kind of gas bottle you have just filled up. is gaslow .gasit etc

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is a published fact by Gaslow that the fill indicator can stick on the first fill and nothing to worry about

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And, just for good measure, noting that you have a Hymer (German)
On our Hobby there is a further 'Push' button on the Regulator that is fitted in your Gas Box.
I assume??? you know about this button that you have to keep pushed in for five secs. before the gas will flow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Sorted, after I went back to van the gas was flowing at the hob (when I switched it on obviously), perhaps it needs time to work its way through ?
Bottle system is from Autogas, Thirsk, same as Gas-it I think.

i have one LPG 11kg bottle and also a 6KG Calorgas bottle, my pig tail pipe has a red screw type connector so Autogas gave me a POL connector for the LPG bottle so I can do quick swap over if we run out of LPG.

After reading about lack of LPG in some places I thought that was the best way forwards. Some garages up here in the Highlands (Gleaner) are a bit hit and miss with the service, my 2 local ones have dodgy pumps which either work or don't depending if there is an R in the month.
So it's taken me about 2 weeks of messing about trying to fill up with LPG, being the first time I was already worried about getting the pipes and connectors tight and correctly fitted without having to cope with dodgy pumps squirting LPG at me whilst trying to fill my tank for the first time !!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just for reassurance, my car was converted to LPG in 2008, I have used it for many years and I have learned one thing. The fuel gauge is just an indicator as to whether you have gas or not. If you have gas it will read anywhere between empty and full, if you have no gas, it will beep and go to petrol. No other reading in between is reliable. It's a little like the water level meters in a Swift.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back