Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi guys.after almost 10yrs of having an american rv we have now decided to go back to a european motorhome.what exactly is gaslow? can the gaslow system be fitted to any motorhome ?is it expensive? and finally is it worth it? thanks.
brian and jo (y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Gaslow is a refillable system, i.e. instead of having the swap the empty (or part empty!) gas bottles you just pull into a service station that sells LPG and refill them via an external (usually) filler point. We had this installed on our previous MH with Alugas cylinders (lighter than Gaslow cylinders) and when we changed our motorhome we just took the cylinder with us and had another external filler point installed. Our was done by Dave Newell in Telford - a Funster member and highly recommended. Give him a call for prices.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Gaslow ( other systems are available) can be fitted to most vans, are they expensive, that depends on your point of view, they are very convenient, especially in Europe. Had my Autogas system fitted by Dave Newell and wouldn't be without it. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ever so convenient as above and only worth it from a financial point of view if you use a lot of gas. Cheapest supplier is hamilton gas products. We don't use a lot of gas but will install a Gaslow system sometime soon (got a 13kg calor to get through first....)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
We had 2 11kg alugas bottles fitted by Dave Newell and I don't know if I will recoup the cost, but for me it is the convenience of not having to lug 13kg bottles in and out the locker.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We had 2 11kg alugas bottles fitted by Dave Newell and I don't know if I will recoup the cost, but for me it is the convenience of not having to lug 13kg bottles in and out the locker.
Exactly!!(y)

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
I fitted a Gaslow system to my MH at the back end of last year.

The MH had only a 6kg Calor bottle when we bought it and I trawled through threads on forums to find the best way of having enough gas for Continental touring.

The easiest option seemed to be to fit an 11kg Gaslow bottle and keep the 6kg bottle as back up.

The cost for Gaslow bottle, refill kit and hose, bracket, filling kit and French adaptor came to around £230.

It took me, a total amateur, less than 2 hours to fit the system - with the filling bracket inside the Gas locker.

I then took it to a qualified Motorhome Gas engineer and he checked it over for free.

If, after your first trip abroad, you think you don't have enough gas capacity you can always add a second Gaslow bottle at a later date but I don't see the point of paying well over a hundred quid for a second Gaslow bottle I might never need to use.

Pilote Gaslow System 1.jpg
And it will be cheaper filling abroad – it cost 80 cents (64p) a litre in France a couple of weeks ago
We have never been stopped from filling up in France and most people seem to have no problems.

Humping heavy bottles of gas, 11 or 13kg, are now a thing of the past - the clanging of dropped bottles as they hit the floor and the swearing as you trap your finger or drop them on your foot can be consigned to history.

You may not see any financial benefit for some time but ensuring your blood pressure remains stable is well worth the initial outlay.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you have the room then look at adding an under-slung tank, bigger better and can be cheaper. And you free up the gas locker. I've seen gas lockers turned into excellent extra battery lockers or welly lockers :)

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
If you have the room then look at adding an under-slung tank, bigger better and can be cheaper. And you free up the gas locker. I've seen gas lockers turned into excellent extra battery lockers or welly lockers :)
I agree with Jim an underslung tank is best !!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi brian i bet if you ask around you will be able to pick up some of the usa white refillable bottles . you must have contacts .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Exactly what we did with the last van. A really good option to explore, but expensive initial outlay

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
A good idea provided you don't intend touring countries where LPG is not available such as Morocco or where LPG filling stations are hard to come by like Denmark and to a lesser extent Spain (although that is improving)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
With regards to cost, my single Gasit 11kg bottle and all the fittings I needed came to just under £190 and was very easy to fit myself. I now use my Calor bottle as a standby in case I run out. Not needed it so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back