LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I was talking about driving into a garage when out on your travels. There is only one price on the pump and that's for propulsion NOT domestic. Hence keeping the gas locker shut if you dont want to be refused!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not true ,you can get reduced price at the pump if the garage owner wants to do it .
personaly i have never been refused . i dont use gaslow or gasit etc .there is no law that says you have to have a filler outside . imagination plays a big part in the scare mongery on here. or is it just fantasy.
very often the same tanker fills domestic tanks then goes off to fill the garage tanks or vice versa .

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
John (of John & Joan) gave a detailed explanation of VAT rates and their application on Broken Link Removed about 4 weeks ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We did have a garage guy go ape at us on a Shell motorway services in France once, two years ago, he was hopping up and down and telling us we would explode, just at the time Pete was locking the locker door having filled up.

As he couldn't see the pump from the shop (because our MH was in the way) the only way he could have concluded from there that it wasn't for propulsion was from the low litre-age/price. Our fuel filler is on the same side as the gas locker.

So we moved the MH then to right next door to the shop in a parking space and went and had a leisurely luncheon in their cafe.

Oh and Pete said at the till, well presumably then as I couldn't really have this gas, you won't be charging me for it? Apparently his English had deserted him, odd that ......

It turned out subsequently that a M/H had allegedly exploded at a Shell station on a French motorway at some point recently, which led to Shell in France issuing a statement that they did not supply and were not prepared to supply, gas for refilling domestic tanks in vehicles.

Fair enough, truckstops never mind doing so, nor do supermarket and independent garages. Just not Shell stations ...... :Doh:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I saw somewhere that French filling stations will only allow filling through an inlet in the bodywork - opening the door is a definite no no. Not sure of the legal status of that.

We're having a Gaslow single cylinder system fitted this week - the cylinder will be tucked into the corner of the compartment away from the door. The filler will be fitted to the side of the van just behind the compartment door. The space immediately behind the door will be for a reserve 6kg Calor cylinder in case the Gaslow system doesn't work for some reason.

Not so, opening the door if a definite "yes, yes" for us, we have had no problems at all over the course of 9 months and many refills in France, including shell stations. Of course I understand that there may rarely be a problem but we have never had one and anyway we are prepared to just driven to the next station. The great thing is, with Gaslow you never let it get so low that a refill is urgent.
i
There is no legal issue on having the door either open or closed.:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
some use these .seem to work fine.Link Removed
hard hat going on now .hee hee. someone had to do it .
but dont worry in spain its far cheaper to get a spanish bottle and exchange . .even better in morocco about 4quid to exchange a 12 kg bottle .

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Who said that? it doesn't matter as long as it isn't in the habitation. If there's room within the gas locker either side of the door frame put it where you like

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
it does not matter where the filler is in relation to the bottles ie top or bottom as the bottles have 80% cut off and the gas is pumped

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back