Gaslow (1 Viewer)

Mar 1, 2021
Bury st edmunds , suffolk
Funster No
MH
N+b arto
Exp
Hi I've gaslow system fitted on my arto I like the idea. I live in bury st edmunds where pumps are not available but then only one camp site . So I'm driving 15 miles to the next town to fill it . Is it a case of pumps more available elsewhere or the number of pumps are reducing and i should consider changing to standard bottle ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have 2 x 11kg gasit bottles fitted. and our nearest fill up point is about 10 miles away. but its half the price of standard bottles and i fill up while travelling mostly.
depends on how you use your van and what size of gas bottles you have but I dont need to fill ours very often.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The number of pumps are reducing, however the cost of Autogas is still considerably cheaper than Calor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2017
brinklow warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Romahome duo hylo
Exp
since 2016
I have Gaslow and its saved me a fortune. I have an app myLPG.eu. that's quite good and I have a Morrisons nearby . I hope your wrong, but I've more than paid for my system . Old small gas bottle £33 to £35 , Galow fill £3 ish. Obviously what has changed we wont know until we are back on the road. cross fingers

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
How far do you have to drive to get a "standard" bottle and if you have a "local" outlet, how reliable are they ? The Calor shop up here has hardly been open throughout the last 18 months. I went to exchange my 11kg workshop propane bottle at Flogas last week and asked if I could upgrade to a 19kg one. They said they were only doing "like for like" at the moment as there was a shortage of bottles, she thought it was something to do with the cold snap and people working from home and an increased need from people living in "park homes".
Incidentally, it cost just over £27 for the 11kg exchange, whereas I don't usually pay half of that to fill the two Gaslows I have on my van.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I paid 28 cents in Belgium last year compared to the cheap 65 pence here.

Even getting it at that price in the UK is 12 pound saving on UK LPG and about £50 on calor gas (which isnt available abroad) so if I fill up twice on a holiday that nearly pays for my eurotunnel return journey.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
I have Gaslow and its saved me a fortune. I have an app myLPG.eu. that's quite good and I have a Morrisons nearby . I hope your wrong, but I've more than paid for my system . Old small gas bottle £33 to £35 , Galow fill £3 ish. Obviously what has changed we wont know until we are back on the road. cross fingers
Unfortunately shell has removed all its lpg pumps, shell supply Morrison’s so I would be suprised if your Morrison’s still stock it. Unfortunately now reliant on independent garages.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I dont trust the info given on both the LPG apps as being up to date, so always try and ring ahead before traveling, or diverting to the listed site. Even seeing a "recent" review on the apps is no longer that trustworthy, as others have mentioned the pumps are being stripped out weekly.
I think sadly, the writing is on the wall for LPG forecourt pumps here in the UK, some funsters are lucky that they have located LPG pumps at Calor places that I guess refill portable bottles & go round to fill up peoples household central heating tanks.
I really do dread the day we have to start using pre-filled bottles again, they were dear enough 4 years ago when we had the caravan @£24 for a 6KG CalorLite.

I guess, that's why we see/read about so many people having Diesel Heaters fitted in their vans & if battery banks & solar will allow large Dometic 12 volt compressor Fridge Freezers.

I hope to see that within a couple of years the MH manufacture's realise this LPG shortage is going to be a problem, and that Alde & Truma Diesel powered boilers become a standard fit to all new MH's.
Wishful thinking I hear myself say.
LES

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi I've gaslow system fitted on my arto I like the idea. I live in bury st edmunds where pumps are not available but then only one camp site . So I'm driving 15 miles to the next town to fill it . Is it a case of pumps more available elsewhere or the number of pumps are reducing and i should consider changing to standard bottle ?
Have you tried Saxham Calor Gas centre just outside of Bury St Edmunds. They used to have a gas pump for refilling, but may be closed because of Covid. Also Nuns filling station in Thetford.

We just fill up while we are out and about on a trip. We have the FillLPG app for UK and myLPG.eu app for Europe, and just check them to see what is available. Rarely have to go far out of our way to find somewhere to fill

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Calor at Saxham have an LPG pump and sell it when they are open, not at the moment due to covid. When they re open soon they will start selying it again .

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
LPG available in Thetford and Sudbury if the Calor dept on the A14 is not serving and a couple in Colchester so which ever way your heading not far out of your way

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Hi Wayne mackie... sure you will be fine....
We never go out "just" to fill up with LPG. We always find a place (even if one of the dearer ones it is still a good saving) on the way back from a trip, and if tank still fairly full we just top it up, that's the beauty, tank can just be topped up.... does not need to be empty.... so we have full tank ready for next trip.👍👍

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
There is a filling point 3 miles from Bury along the A14 at Calor Gas Saxham, pay with cash only. With regards to your general question, without doubt the number of LPG pumps are reducing across the country, however that said, I believe most Morrison's still have LPG pumps.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's only in some area pumps are reducing, plenty in the south east and if you travel abroad I would say refillables are essential.
I really do dread the day we have to start using pre-filled bottles again, they were dear enough 4 years ago when we had the caravan @£24 for a 6KG CalorLite.
Even worse I wouldn't want to go back to lugging bottles about, it was bad enough 20 years ago.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Have you tried Saxham Calor Gas centre just outside of Bury St Edmunds. They used to have a gas pump for refilling, but may be closed because of Covid. Also Nuns filling station in Thetford.

We just fill up while we are out and about on a trip. We have the FillLPG app for UK and myLPG.eu app for Europe, and just check them to see what is available. Rarely have to go far out of our way to find somewhere to fill
I have also filled up at the Saxham centre for several years but it has been temporarily closed due to the Covid situation. It's not the easiest pump to get onto and you have to go through the gatehouse to pay, good price however. I now prefer the Nuns Filling Station at thetford, much easier to fill up and a "proper" filling station. Further to drive from BSE but worth the journey.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back