MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I rather doubt it..

Liquefied Petroleum Gas Equipment | UN Regulation No. 67
E/ECE/324/Rev.1/Add.66/Rev.3−E/ECE/TRANS/505/Rev.1/Add.66/Rev.3
10 October 2012

some bedtime reading , it's 141 pages long ..
download the PDF http://www.globalautoregs.com/rules/78
Can't you just give us the gist of it regarding the difference between r67 and calor bottles please

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can't you just give us the gist of it regarding the difference between r67 and calor bottles please

I'm not the expert.. so wrong person to ask.. but post #27 gives most of the features for R67 refillable bottles, but comparing with Calor bottles is apples and pears..

Calor are simple pressure containers with a shut-off valve and an over pressure relief valve..
they have none of the other features of the R67 bottle and are not designed to be filled by a third party.. nor intended to be installed as a refillable tank.

Gaslow have made the R67 bottle to comply with the same regs as used for LPG fixed tanks.. in effect it is an LPG tank, not a returnable gas bottle ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm not the expert.. so wrong person to ask.. but post #27 gives most of the features for R67 refillable bottles, but comparing with Calor bottles is apples and pears..

Calor are simple pressure containers with a shut-off valve and an over pressure relief valve..
they have none of the other features of the R67 bottle and are not designed to be filled by a third party.. nor intended to be installed as a refillable tank.

Gaslow have made the R67 bottle to comply with the same regs as used for LPG fixed tanks.. in effect it is an LPG tank, not a returnable gas bottle ..
I'm not being picky about this , but can't see the difference, it's not fixed as such it will come out just as easy as a calor bottle, and anyone just looking at them can't say that you haven't filled your own calor bottle , which can be done and there is no 80% thingy on them at all.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
not sure what you want me to say that's not already been said..

I have no commercial interest in Gaslow,not here to promote Gaslow R67 bottles, nor do I want to influence anyone's buying decision...
nor argue whether it is safe or unsafe to refill Calor bottles.. we are all free to do our research and make up our own minds.

if you think otherwise then that is also your free choice.. not going to argue about it ..and nothing more to add..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i did see several attendant gas pump garages refuse to fill any of the refillable bottles this year in spain .
even if it was seperate filler they wanted to see a slung tank.
one near sagunt let a mate fill and supplied an adaptor , but others refused point blank . we dont fill bottles .
ended up getting a spanish repsol bottle off another mate .
heard of similar happenings in france , maybe the filling of bottles is coming to an end .
after all exchanging local bottles is cheaper anyway in many places .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
just another nail in the Spanish motorhome hospitality coffin Alan..

another reason not to bother with Spain.
Haven't been deep into Spain for a couple of years , so why are they apparently getting unfriendly to tourists, it seemed ok when we were there,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
hi, i did see several attendant gas pump garages refuse to fill any of the refillable bottles this year in spain

In March 2015 we filled up our Gaslow cylinder with in-locker filler in Spain at Heusca, Malaga, Seville and Leon without any problems at all, the attendants even helped and loaned us the adapters! So where did you experience these refusals?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks.. @Bertie Bassett better explained than my post.. (y)

my view on R67 is that whether the legislation at present is only for LPG tanks used for propulsion (and not required for 'cooking' gas) is a moot point..
I could have saved a couple of hundred pounds by installing a non R67 compliant bottles .. and if strapped for cash would have done so.. no question.. no one is saying the old bottles are inherently unsafe.. or that those with old bottles should rush out and buy R67 .. but when fitting from scratch, and there is a higher safety standard available that I could afford, it was a no brainer for me..

In life, we all make choices based the best advice available and what suits our wallet. That's what I did ..

In the cold light of day Jim my post comes across as a bit 'pompous arsey'. It wasn't meant to, neither was it meant to lecture. My apologies for both and my excuse................ At least I was working last night and not on the pop!(y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Shano, welcome to the fun house! :D

To be perfectly honest it is easy peasy to fit a refillable system if you've got some basic DIY skills and will save you an absolute packet!:)

But PLEASE get it professionally checked for leaks etc. - in case I'm parked up next to you.........................:whistle:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But PLEASE get it professionally checked for leaks etc. - in case I'm parked up next to you.........................:whistle:

When you change a Calor propane bottle do you get it checked by a pro..? Of course not.

Installing refillable bottle(s) is no more complicated ..the only bit that made me nervous was drilling a 70mm hole for the filling point.. not required if fitted in the gas locker.

Checking for leaks is essential. Spray or sponge over the connections with a solution of water and a dash washing up liquid, (you can buy a propitiatory product from any plumbers shop) and watch for tiny bubbles.. I had one connection that required nipping up..

Last edited:
OP
OP
shano118

shano118

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
west sussex
Funster No
MH
buying one soon
Exp
I think I opened a can of worms with this thread.. Lol
Think I'm still heading for the gaslow tho

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I think I opened a can of worms with this thread.. Lol
Think I'm still heading for the gaslow tho
Or what about the Autogas2000 aluminum bottles. I've just fitted an 11kg with external filler myself for £250. It has the rupture protection and a "proper" gauge with the option of a remote gauge. Also being light bottles, you get to save payload too.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The best thing about R67 spec is the a to free flow valve built it to the bottle. This means that is a hose ruptures that the entire contents of the bottle doesn't rush out, being a security man, I prefer safety over price.

Also, Gaslow stainless steel hoses have a considerably longer life than rubber ones, so again making a direct comparison harder.

I have said may times both are good, but with the higher cost comes longevity.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Shano, welcome to the fun house! :D

To be perfectly honest it is easy peasy to fit a refillable system if you've got some basic DIY skills and will save you an absolute packet!:)

If you can safely change an exchange cylinder where you have to detach and re-attach a pipe then there is no reason that you cannot do this safely ... if you are not confident in that then you shouldn't be fitting a refillable system anyway!

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
They may be R67 or whetever but i have concerns over gaslows product quality personally

I have had 3 different products from Gaslow and all of them have failed.
No 1 was the gas rush valve designed to turn the gas off in the event of a rush of gas. It turned the gas off permanent even though it was connected the right way round.

No2 was the auto changeover which didnt

No 3 is the gaslow twin bottle system fitted by the gaslow agent (dealer we had our van from). This leaked whilst abroad from the connection of the head work to one of the bottles (so was unstoppable) i had to remove the bottle at 10pm at night in me jim jams and discharge the gas over aire. luckily we were the only ones there.
Gaslow always sort the problems out but this is hard when your in another country so we had to run on one bottle for a few days. luckily the other bottle was full as we couldnt refill.
New bottle fitted after me driving to their premises in Lutterworth.

This is just my experience. Other s probably have not had any issues

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Gaslow - cheap as chips.

Had a 6kg bottle fitted in May and been away quite a few times, including away days to the coast etc. Summer time so probably only used the heating for a couple of hours on two occasions, but plenty of coffee and bacon butties and ran the fridge on gas for two nights.

Gauge was showing half empty so decided to top it up today for an impending trip - total £1.34, obviously the gauge isn’t that accurate, nevertheless that’s cheap fuel in my book (y)

Brian

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Gauge was showing half empty so decided to top it up today for an impending trip - total £1.34, obviously the gauge isn’t that accurate, nevertheless that’s cheap fuel in my book (y)

Brian[/QUOTE]

Definitely not accurate gauges, our cylinder has been showing empty for several months now, I even turned cylinder off with gas ring on to check it wasn't the gas from the other cylinder but no, gas ring went out. So very inaccurate gauge.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Gas it say their bottles are exactly the same as Gaslow.I have fitted a twin 11kg set to my van works great and easy to do as stated earlier it's a bit worrying drilling the hole in the skirt of a new van but it's surprisingly straightforward if you are practical about it.
Cost was £387 inc auto changeover valve which I didn't need as our Hymer Exsis has a change over system already fitted which works with Refillable bottles.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
it's a bit worrying drilling the hole in the skirt of a new van but it's surprisingly straightforward if you are practical about it.

To be honest I went for the direct fill adapter Broken Link Removed works well (for me). I hear some filling stations don't like you going into a cupboard, but the local station don't seem to care, so works well for me.

Brian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Gas it say their bottles are exactly the same as Gaslow

just for clarification...what Gasit actually say is

"These Refillable gas bottles can be partnered up with the identical Gaslow type "

The bottle refereed to is the old style Gaslow bottle.. .. no longer sold .. It has been replaced with the R67 bottle which has safety features that the Gasit doesn't have ..ie

* The outlet valve has a built in filter to prevent inpurities in the gas damaging the regulator.
*The cylinder has an excess flow valve to restrict the flow of gas if the hose ruptures.

and

* a new mechanically accurate contents gauge.

The Gasit bottle is about £35 cheaper.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had GasIt bottles on our old van and have Gaslow in the new one.
In my own opinion, the Gaslow bottles and connecting pipes look to be superior quality, however the GasIt external filler cap is superior as it has a nylon tie, connecting the cap to the body, preventing you from leaving it behind after filling.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My Dad has just had a (small!) Gaslow setup fitted in his T5 VW conversion.

Cost of exchange Camping Gaz cylinder - £22.50
Cost to fill up Gaslow bottle for the first time - £2.68

I've gone for one of the Safefill refillable bottles in my van, but even their smallest one wouldn't fit in my Dad's van. The Safefill bottle has been fine for me, dead easy to move onto another van of course, and I can take it out and use it power the space heater in my garage during the depths of winter. The only drawback with them compared to a Gaslow that I can see is that you need to disconnect the hose in order to fill the bottle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had GasIt bottles on our old van and have Gaslow in the new one.
In my own opinion, the Gaslow bottles and connecting pipes look to be superior quality, however the GasIt external filler cap is superior as it has a nylon tie, connecting the cap to the body, preventing you from leaving it behind after filling.
Gaslow & Gas-it (Stako) are made in the same Polish factory, if you want quality try German manufactured Alugas and they save a fair bit of weight and you can get 13 kg bottles which is what I have.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Gaslow & Gas-it (Stako) are made in the same Polish factory, if you want quality try German manufactured Alugas and they save a fair bit of weight and you can get 13 kg bottles which is what I have.
Hi Lenny
They may be made in the same factory, but they are not the same bottles
Gaslow is superior, and so are the connectors
Appreciate Alugas may be lighter, but as we got the Gaslow bottles at cost price and fitted free, I couldn't refuse
Regards
Robert

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny
They may be made in the same factory, but they are not the same bottles
Gaslow is superior, and so are the connectors
Appreciate Alugas may be lighter, but as we got the Gaslow bottles at cost price and fitted free, I couldn't refuse
Regards
Robert
Got my Alugas supplied & fitted free as part of the deal.:D
If I had to pay would have still gone for Alugas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread