Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Hi,
I have been researching what spec etc I would get buying our first motor home when I retired. I have made the jump and bought a new Apache 634 hi-line. Now as a newbe I was considering installing the Gaslow system as we intend to travel Europe and spend probably 4-6 weeks per trip and also do a fair bit in the UK all mostly site based.
I spoke to a mate who has a touring caravan who advises I wouldn't need the system and would be wasting money, as with the amount of gas I can carry ( 1x7 and 1x13 Calor)it would take an age to use. He told me to buy an empty Camping Gaz cylinder on e bay and then from the caravan accessory shop a Gaz adapter and use that if i ever run out.
From peoples motor home experience is it worth the investment? I will have EHU most of the time and it would literally be for cooking/BBQ and maybe the occasional wild camp and may need to heat the vehicle.

TIA

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Gaslow, Gas-it or a torpedo underslung tank used in conjunction with a 12V dashboard mounted LPG guage is another option.
The Torpedo tank frees up your gas locker so creates more external locker storage.
I also recommend fitting a diesel air blow heater. I have fitted an 8KW version in My own Motorhome and a 5KW version in My box van. 2KW, 5KW or 8KW heaters are available. Heating uses lots of LPG and is a 'wet' heat that makes lots of unwanted condensation. Diesel heaters are a 'dry' heat. You can buy diesel 'anywhere' so no issues about supply of fuel.
I'm fitting a diesel blow heater in a river boat in a few weeks time but using a ''through hull skin exhaust mount'' as you can't drill holes in the bottom of the boat for obvious reasons, glug, glug, glug.

Most modern gas heating does not heat the home directly from the gas burner as in the old days, so the air heating your home is equally as dry as diesel heaters

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We had the gaslow (2x11kg) system fitted to our Rapido as part of the deal when we swapped vans. With the 11kg calour bottles now costing over £30 a time, I thought it was a no brainier to have refillables fitted.
First fill was an experience to say the least.
Did what it said on the tin regards filling, it took approximately 10mins to put 5litres in....so by accident, or my hand went numb, I took my finger off the button momentarily and pressed it again..
It took about two minutes to fill both tanks to 80% ??. At 55p per litre I was a very happy Yorkshire man???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Have Alugas and transferred it from our previous mh.( so portsble) One tip is change way of thinking about filling up - or should i say topping up as you dont have to wait until its empty. We tend to topup on way through Luxembourg and then again on way back. Basically if you see lpg when refuelling diesel, just take the opportunity to top up lpg at same time. - its so cheap anyway. We also have the truma swap over system so it automatically changes tank when one is empty. Great when its freezing outside - we ski, and this generally the only time we get through more than one tank

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
And, according to the gaslow website, when the bottles are 10years old, they change em free of charge ?

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Few seem to have latched on to the new Gas It bluetooth sensor. This is accurate to just a few % and negates the need to carry either a second cylinder or a backup spare.
That sounds interesting. Do you knowif it is gas it specific and retrofit? Still need 2 cylinders though, once you are up a mountain, sub zero temperatures and snow is falling you sure don't want to descend to get gas!

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
This may appear random but, have you thought about a Wallis Diesel heater with 2 rings for cooking. Runs off your vehicles diesel tank and it means that you only need to fill your fuel tank and you save a cupboard. We love ours and it very quickly heats the van up. Have to admit they are expensive but I think it’s worth it. One major benefit is that there is no condensation created because you are not burning gas

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And, according to the gaslow website, when the bottles are 10years old, they change em free of charge ?
Really? You're having us on surely!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had Gaslow since 2009, first we just had a single 11kg bottle but then in 2015 got a 6kg cylinder too as our camper locker could take 2 and we were doing longer trips abroad, when the opportunity came up to get a nearly new second 11kg locally we bought that and then sold our 6kg one. So far the original bottle has been in installed in 6 MHs/campers: a Rimor, Chausson, Autocruise, Globecar no 1, Globecar no 2 and now in our Carthago. This is one reason why I won't go for an under-slung tank as they are more expensive and difficult to move (although it can be done).

Our original Gaslow cylinder is a 15 year one so not due for re-calibration/exchange until 2024, the second 11kg is only a 10 year version but still good until 2026 or 2027 (can't remember exactly). As for the pipes our stainless steel ones are okay for 20 years to 2029 and the thick Gas-it cylinder to cylinder connection one is 10 years (possibly 15 ... will have to check) so okay until 2025.

Upvote 0

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
That sounds interesting. Do you knowif it is gas it specific and retrofit? Still need 2 cylinders though, once you are up a mountain, sub zero temperatures and snow is falling you sure don't want to descend to get gas!

Their FAQs states it works with any bottles, though personally I'd check the alu ones with them first and its definitely retrofit. You can check before you go up the mountain and top up if necessary. I've filled mine up when its showing 75% full. Most of us don't tend to stay up a mountain in those conditions for long. My skiing days are long past (apart from the other meaning of skiing :LOL:)

Upvote 0

Graham Pierpoint

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Crewe
Funster No
MH
Elddis 105
Exp
I have had the gasit system fitted with 2 x 6kg bottles, fitted on the drive at home by the engineer who came from Chester area to home no extra charge for travelling, once system is fitted our local lpg station is Morrison's Crewe, you will require adaptors for europe

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back