Gaslow reserve filler connection hose. (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We run out of LPG after 4 weeks in Benidorm as we now run the fridge on gas. Sandp spotted this hose to connect them with a Spanish bottle so no need to move the van off site. Much cheaper than an external BBQ point, no regulator or system modifications needed ?

Leave the external bottle upside down in the sun and the liquid will go into the van's tanks after an hour or so. Ordered one on Monday, about £25 Inc postage...

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
We run out of LPG after 4 weeks in Benidorm as we now run the fridge on gas. Sandp spotted this hose to connect them with a Spanish bottle so no need to move the van off site. Much cheaper than an external BBQ point, no regulator or system modifications needed ?

Leave the external bottle upside down in the sun and the liquid will go into the van's tanks after an hour or so. Ordered one on Monday, about £25 Inc postage...

Don't think it's necessary to leave the external bottle upside down. The pressure in the Spanish bottle will drive the vaporised gas through to your master refillable cylinder and onwards to the regulator.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We run out of LPG after 4 weeks in Benidorm as we now run the fridge on gas. Sandp

There is no need to turn the external bottle upside down, the hose allows the gas vapour to transfer through the gas low system to your van. Just leave connected until the spanish bottle runs out and change the bottle. Turning it upside down will just dump any oils or other debris into your system and probably ruin your regulator.
I don't think gaslow would recommend what you have advised anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't think it's necessary to leave the external bottle upside down. The pressure in the Spanish bottle will drive the vaporised gas through to your master refillable cylinder and onwards to the regulator.
There is no need to turn the external bottle upside down, the hose allows the gas vapour to transfer through the gas low system to your van. Just leave connected until the spanish bottle runs out and change the bottle. Turning it upside down will just dump any oils or other debris into your system and probably ruin your regulator.
I don't think gaslow would recommend what you have advised anyway.

Oh yes "heavy ends" could be in there, forgot about them. Would go in quicker if upside down though, my thinking is fill up the 2 x 6kg van bottles and use them on site before connecting a bigger Spanish bottle which we won't use entirely if just using vapour so got to encourage it to go in the van bottles. There's hot water on site so that's an option to warm up the external bottle too. Will see how it goes ??

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Your gaslow bottled gas also vapourises so you can use it in the van, the liquid lpg stays in the bottle and vapourises when you open a valve cooker or fridge for example. Usually to use the external Spanish bottle gaslow advise that one bottle should be empty.
What we usually do is to run one bottle empty, hook up the Spanish propano bottle and then just use that till empty and exchange it. They are only around 15 euros for a large bottle, 13kg,so cheap enough to leave some in. If you don't want to leave any behind just heat the water up in your van.
With the Spanish propano gas there is no need to warm it up. It's mainly propane, it's the butane that you may require to use in a warmer environment.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Blimey, some people do put up with a lot of hassle to save driving down the road to fill up with gas.
Also it will do the van good to give it a run.
It's a right ball ache when you're set up for 6 weeks with awning out and shade thingy and wind break all attached. Much simpler to buy a bottle from reception and connect it ?

? Still if there's a flood we have to move anyway so that's a possibility ?

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Your gaslow bottled gas also vapourises so you can use it in the van, the liquid lpg stays in the bottle and vapourises when you open a valve cooker or fridge for example. Usually to use the external Spanish bottle gaslow advise that one bottle should be empty.
What we usually do is to run one bottle empty, hook up the Spanish propano bottle and then just use that till empty and exchange it. They are only around 15 euros for a large bottle, 13kg,so cheap enough to leave some in. If you don't want to leave any behind just heat the water up in your van.
With the Spanish propano gas there is no need to warm it up. It's mainly propane, it's the butane that you may require to use in a warmer environment.
No you have to warm up the connected bottle to encourage it to condense inside the van bottles. I could use it as a vapour in Spain all day long but I want the liquid to go in the van bottles. Liquid always migrates to the coldest point that's why your windows steam up in winter. LPG is the same as refrigerant which I'm used to handling transferring etc.
Can't take the bottle with us because it belongs to site reception.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If there was nowhere to fill up with lpg when I left a campsite, then it's a possibility, if I was really desperate, and I mean really desperate, to do what you advocate. But for the price of leaving gas left from a 15 euro bottle, it's not worth the effort..

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I thought it was really convenient and easy to do. Just connect a bottle up in the morning, leave it in the sun, disconnect it in the afternoon and take it back to reception.
Oh well. ?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Best of luck with your gas transfer, I note you haven't yet tried it as your hose is on order. o_O

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You sound skeptical it will work...

When I worked at York Refrigeration we used to fill small cylinders of refrigerant from big ones in the workshop, we'd connect them up together via manifold gauges and open the valves, nothing much would happen at first but then we'd put the small bottle in a big bath of iced water and immediately you'd hear the gas rushing into the small cylinder and the gauge lines start shaking about. Didn't take long to move 10kg of liquid, there was no 80% rule in those days, you'd fill it right up ?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I will wait until June for your experience.
If you don't make too many ice cubes in your fridge, using the gas, to cool your MH bottles down, you won't need as much external gas anyway. :giggle:

As I said, best of luck. :pray:

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
No ice required, the sun on the external bottle will provide the temperature difference ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Will be interested to see results. I tried that last year with a Moroccan bottle but it didn't work. However may not have been sufficient temperature difference.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Leave the external bottle upside down in the sun and the liquid will go into the van's tanks after an hour or so. Ordered one on Monday, about £25 Inc postage.
But only to the point where the pressure in each bottle is equal.
OK, the hot bottle will produce a bit more pressure into the cold bottle but it will never empty fully.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
But only to the point where the pressure in each bottle is equal.
OK, the hot bottle will produce a bit more pressure into the cold bottle but it will never empty fully.
You'd be surprised, given time even the vapour will move over and condense in the cooler bottle.

Think about these scenarios :

There's no pressure difference in your house but your windows still steam up.
There's no pressure difference inside a fridge but the evaporator still ices up.
There's no pressure difference in your car but water is attracted to, and pours out of the air con drain. And thinking a bit more technically, there's no pressure difference inside a fridge's condenser but vapour refrigerant goes in at the top, and liquid refrigerant comes out of the bottom a few seconds later... Only difference? Temperature.

I don't mean to sound like a clever clogs, and apologise if I do (yes I've noticed nobody likes a clever clogs) but I didn't start this thread to ask people's opinion on whether it will work, I know it will work because I've been doing very similar at work for the last 25 years. Rather I thought it would be a great tip for people in the same situation.

I'm not going to go on any more about it. If you think it's a sh1t idea, too much faffing or it'll never work etc that's absolutely fine. I don't care ?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Why not just leave the bottle on the ground attached to the fill point. That what I did in Morocco a few years ago.
All this about trying to fill existing bottle seems a dangerous and unnecessary faff.
You will need another connector to fit to Spanish bottle.

Screenshot_20200115-192618_Facebook.jpg

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
The hose does not transfer gas into the refillable it only draws gas as needed, see below from the Gaslow Website where you bought the hose.

The Gaslow Reserve Cylinder Connection Hose enables the connection of a reserve cylinder to the Gaslow filler point.

Perfect if you are on site and don't want to move your caravan to find a filling station.
The hose screws into the internal thread on the Gaslow Fill Kit.
The other end of the hose connects directly to any 21.8LH cylinders or our range of Gaslow 21.8LH Adapters, so you can connect to all European cylinders.
The gas will be drawn from the reserve cylinder, through one of the refillable cylinders to the regulator.
Note that it will not transfer liquid gas into the refillable cylinder, so gas from this cylinder will only be used if the refillable is empty.

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Note that it will not transfer liquid gas into the refillable cylinder, so gas from this cylinder will only be used if the refillable is empty.
Yes read all that.

That's because, as we know, there isn't a dip tube in the connected cylinder, so you'd have to turn it upside down or create a temperature difference and wait a bit ?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Yes read all that.

That's because, as we know, there isn't a dip tube in the connected cylinder, so you'd have to turn it upside down or create a temperature difference and wait a bit ?
Sorry I do not understand, why would you turn a cylinder upside down with the chance of gas/liquid leaking out? The idea is to be able to connect an external cylinder safely to feed your van not to fill your refillable cylinder and whats a dip tube?

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Sorry I do not understand, why would you turn a cylinder upside down with the chance of gas/liquid leaking out? The idea is to be able to connect an external cylinder safely to feed your van not to fill your refillable cylinder and whats a dip tube?
It won't leak out, I wouldn't turn it upside down before connecting it securely to the van filler point. Yes I know the idea is to connect it and use vapour, and it would work like that ok. But I can't take the Spanish bottle with me because reception has very kindly loaned me their bottle with no deposit. So I will be making the liquid LPG flow into the van tanks... Which is perfectly safe as that is what they are designed for. ?

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Yes it's a sh1t idea and trust you don't do too much damage to yourself or MH gas regulator when you try it in June.
Thank you for your concern but it's nothing to do with the van's regulator, that is on the vapour outlet from the tank which is separate to the filler pipe ?

OP
OP
Richard n Ann
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
It's only as dangerous as filling at a pump, it's the same action really. The external bottle hasn't got the capacity to over fill the vans bottles. And the hose is a proper Gaslow hose. What are you thinking could happen?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back