LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
it was about knowing how much is in the bottle . if you know the tare of bottle .usually stamped on the bottle .weigh it and take off the tare ,thats how much liquid you have inside.
Is that necessary? That's taking things to the n th degree.
So, you'd look at the tare, fill it, disconnect the system, weigh it just to know how much is in it. Like the gauge on the pump doesn't tell you and do a quick calculation to see how much X number of litres of LPG weighs then you know how heavy the cylinder (s) weighs. I just know how much I've put in till it's full (80%) and the gauge on the cylinder tells me when it's getting low. Then I fill up. Must be a very critical payload if you've got to know the weight of the gas you're carrying or am I missing something crucial? I did work in the packaged gas industry for 10 years and not one customer every asked the weight of an individual cylinder.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Is that necessary? That's taking things to the n th degree.
So, you'd look at the tare, fill it, disconnect the system, weigh it just to know how much is in it. Like the gauge on the pump doesn't tell you and do a quick calculation to see how much X number of litres of LPG weighs then you know how heavy the cylinder (s) weighs. I just know how much I've put in till it's full (80%) and the gauge on the cylinder tells me when it's getting low. Then I fill up. Must be a very critical payload if you've got to know the weight of the gas you're carrying or am I missing something crucial? I did work in the packaged gas industry for 10 years and not one customer every asked the weight of an individual cylinder.
The point is that he is referring to filling calor type bottle which have no 80% cut off, not bottles designed to be refilled by the consumer. Illegal and highly dangerous.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The point is that he is referring to filling calor type bottle which have no 80% cut off, not bottles designed to be refilled by the consumer. Illegal and highly dangerous.
Calor type cylinders still have ullage as do all cylinders. However, I take your point that it's for those type and not refillable but under a topic that deals with refillable cylinders. Why not get one of those stickers on the side and it'll tell you? Plus, picking it up will give someone an idea
The heading of this topic is Gaslow refiller position therefore I was relating to the topic in question as opposed to a completely different subject matter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Calor type cylinders still have ullage as do all cylinders. However, I take your point that it's for those type and not refillable but under a topic that deals with refillable cylinders. Why not get one of those stickers on the side and it'll tell you? Plus, picking it up will give someone an idea
The heading of this topic is Gaslow refiller position therefore I was relating to the topic in question as opposed to a completely different subject matter
Only slightly off topic. With one of those fillers you can buy that attaches direct to the calor cylinder you don't need to worry about where to position the filler, which is what the OP's post was about. I would not do that or recommend it, but some do.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Only slightly off topic. With one of those fillers you can buy that attaches direct to the calor cylinder you don't need to worry about where to position the filler, which is what the OP's post was about. I would not do that or recommend it, but some do.
Well recommended if you have a death wish. Not only highly dangerous bit also illegal but I think the danger will get there first and they don't tend to prosecute corpses

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
img002.jpg
These are the instructions for fitting the filler in the locker door that I was sent from the supplier of the 90 degree adapter :moon2:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
View attachment 127507These are the instructions for fitting the filler in the locker door that I was sent from the supplier of the 90 degree adapter :moon2:
I was offered either through the bodywork or inside filler. Because I didn't want the bodywork integrity compromised, I took the internal fitting option. I have heard that some places particularly in France don't allow filling internal but there's always another filling place a few miles away. We've never had a problem with internal fitting and no hole in bodywork

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
View attachment 127507These are the instructions for fitting the filler in the locker door that I was sent from the supplier of the 90 degree adapter :moon2:
Am I right to assume the supplier wasn't Gaslow themselves though? They do NOT recommend fitting it in the door and never have.

For info when at the Malvern show I made a point in asking one of the Gaslow people why teey say to turn off the cylinders when filling and was told if not that there was a danger that liquid gas could inadvertently be 'pushed' into the regulator thus damaging it and that would be an expensive thing to replace for the sake of just turning off the cylinder taps. If you choose to leave them turned on when refilling that's your choice but I always turn ours off.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Am I right to assume the supplier wasn't Gaslow themselves though? They do NOT recommend fitting it in the door and never have.

For info when at the Malvern show I made a point in asking one of the Gaslow people why teey say to turn off the cylinders when filling and was told if not that there was a danger that liquid gas could inadvertently be 'pushed' into the regulator thus damaging it and that would be an expensive thing to replace for the sake of just turning off the cylinder taps. If you choose to leave them turned on when refilling that's your choice but I always turn ours off.
From Gaslow, read it here! Link Removed
Edit Yep I always turn our's off, better to be safe (y) The picture saying don't fit it in the door is how NOT to fit it in the door, because the hose will get snagged or crushed.

Last edited:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
we do have some very narrow lanes here . but could also be abroad . they have similar stone hedges .
I,ll second this.Coming back from falmouth earlier this year along the A30.We were going to call in to the subway along the route but satnav flagged up red alert accident ahead so I did a detour along a narrow road parallel and hit a stone on my offside hidden in the grass.Had a small crack on the bottom of the gas locker.Luckily nothing in it as I,ve put a tank in behind the back axle.(y) Filler point just under the rear bumper.I carry a hose with adapters for eu bottles.
bottle connected as spare (6).jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From Gaslow, read it here! Link Removed
Edit Yep I always turn our's off, better to be safe (y) The picture saying don't fit it in the door is how NOT to fit it in the door, because the hose will get snagged or crushed.
That's not what they tell you at shows etc if you ask ... I wonder if they've stopped doing that now? I note the pdf is from 2012 but can't find a more up-to-date one on their website.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
That's not what they tell you at shows etc if you ask ... I wonder if they've stopped doing that now? I note the pdf is from 2012 but can't find a more up-to-date one on their website.
Could well be I'v seen some shocking fit ups, our old Bessacarr went into the base of the wardrobe then into the gas locker!! some people cant see the pitfalls if not done right, our filler hose is P clipped to the top of the locker with a nice gentle ark to the filler, so no chance of fouling or pinching

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

In theory should be OK filling with cylinders on as the filling pressure is around 140psi and the Truma regulators have a rated input of 230psi. However I wouldn't risk it, a few weeks ago I filled up in Germany appeared to fill at much higher pressure than the UK, put 44 Lt in in a fraction of the time it would take in the UK. When I turned the bottles on there was a hell of a hiss from one of them!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In theory should be OK filling with cylinders on as the filling pressure is around 140psi and the Truma regulators have a rated input of 230psi. However I wouldn't risk it, a few weeks ago I filled up in Germany appeared to fill at much higher pressure than the UK, put 44 Lt in in a fraction of the time it would take in the UK. When I turned the bottles on there was a hell of a hiss from one of them!
The pressure at either end of the pump is nominally the same - lpg vapour pressure at local ambient temperature. The pump isn't there to create pressure - it simply shifts liquid from storage tank to van tank. Any risk of regulator damage is from liquid splashing as the tank is filled. Much the same as when liquid is sloshing about the tank when the van is travelling.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The pressure at either end of the pump is nominally the same - lpg vapour pressure at local ambient temperature. The pump isn't there to create pressure - it simply shifts liquid from storage tank to van tank. Any risk of regulator damage is from liquid splashing as the tank is filled. Much the same as when liquid is sloshing about the tank when the van is travelling.
But it is filled with liquid not vapour and to remain liquid it needs to be a high pressure fill well thats my theory.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Turn of the gas cylinder valve when filling to avoid damage to your regulator..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back