Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there, can anyone advise the cheapest place to buy the gaslow refillable bottles and installation kit, I live in Stoke on trent, and I am a qualified gas fitter so no problems with fitting it myself.

Cheers John.

C

cabby

Deleted User
I have been told there is a shortage of bottles at the moment as the new ones with the gauge are coming in.the cheapest I have found so far are on MHF outdor bits.

cabby

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi not gaslow but a good alternative with v/good feedback :thumb:
Link Removed
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: at the risk of starting a comotion I use 1 of these type things
Link Removed
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: filled 2 small bottles yesterday for £7 instead of £13 each
terry

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
:ROFLMAO: at the risk of starting a comotion I use 1 of these type things
Link Removed
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: filled 2 small bottles yesterday for £7 instead of £13 each
terry

Very interesting but!:helptitanic: Don't think I'de have the confidence to use it.

John.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John,the only thing different to filling gaslow etc is remembering to shut the gas bottle valve, providing you fill empty bottles as I do :thumb:DO NOT TRY TO FILL PART FULL as this is asking for trouble :Eeek: :ROFLMAO:
terry

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: anyway what sort of harley rider are you, most I know are black leather goatie beards and would make there own filler :ROFLMAO: they would rise to the challenge:ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
:ROFLMAO: anyway what sort of harley rider are you, most I know are black leather goatie beards and would make there own filler :ROFLMAO: they would rise to the challenge:ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry
Got all the black leather but no goatie beard, perhaps that's what the problem is.:Doh:

John.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Well I've done it, I went down to Gaslow in Loughborough, Picked up 2 6kg tanks, and other materials to complete the job, but it was a bit dearer than I expected £411-06p totall:cry:. won't be fitting them untill I've used the other gas cylinders up.

John.

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Hi John,the only thing different to filling gaslow etc is remembering to shut the gas bottle valve, providing you fill empty bottles as I do :thumb:DO NOT TRY TO FILL PART FULL as this is asking for trouble :Eeek: :ROFLMAO:
terry

Can you please explain what kind of trouble.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:thumb:WELL done JOHN:ROFLMAO:
Shortcircuit- the only trouble I envisage is having to weigh part full bottles then calculate how much to fill them :Eeek: Better to fill an empty bottle and not take any risks of over filling.On my bottles (small) I can put 7.8 ltr fuel in so I stop at 7 ltrs so I am well with in my 80% limit.I carry 2 bottles,when 1 is empty I put the full one on just as anyone always did before refillable :Smile:I then fill my emptybottle with my filler :thumb:No problems and very simple.I am now going on the other side to try and explain this to Bob who may have even read it on here:ROFLMAO:
terry

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
You appear to be going to a lot of trouble for something that is allready taken care of with Gaslow. As I understand it the cylinder will automatically shut off at 80%

Are you using the highly dubious adapter that your weighing?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi S/c NO WEIGHING INVOLVED IF YOU ONLY FILL EMPTY ONEs :thumb::ROFLMAO: sorry for caps :Doh: if you read the full posts you would cotton on :thumb: then go on the dark side and read my reply to bob on this subject and DUBIOUS fillers.:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:All will become clear ::bigsmile:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here you go S/C to stop you having to go on the other side:ROFLMAO: I've nicked it and pasteing it here:ROFLMAO:
bobandjane wrote: ‹ Select › ‹ Contract ›
Hi Terry. I think the adaptor you say about was for the plastic bottles with the window on the side with no 80% cut of valve. Also I see : So it is about the money.

Perhaps you are right because not many people agree with me, still I have said what I think and thats it. When someone has an accident and Calor get their way and we all end up going to distrubution depots to get gas, a lot of people will have lots to say then.
End of Rant. Thanks Bob.

Hi Bob if it was all about the moneyI think I can just about stretch to £450-500 and if not I could stay in for the weekend (away in the van that is)It comes down to simple logic-You put fuel pipe onto filler which then goes into a joint-flexi pipe-joint then tank,then reley on a flaot type device to cut off at 80% ? I put fuel pipe onto filler that goes straight into the bottle filll bottle to 7 ltrs (in theory I can put in 7.8 ltrs) turn off bottle valve.Exatly the same minus a few joints flexi pipe and float devise (do not try to tell me float devises do not go wrong I had too many old motor bikes to realise floats stick)Now who do you think has more to go wrong?Just because there are alternatives that everyone does not agree/understand with does not mean they do not work.I also have a diy Sog( £80)that cost me nothing more than a couple of cups of coffee,that also works.A diy spoiler that cost £3/4 instead of £30 because I did not know they sold them I made one instead.My tv is a normal (£150)240v / 12v jobby instead of the £350/ 400 one made purposesly for a caravan.My entire van is £10,000 instead of £30,000/40,000 (to get what I have got in)so yes it comes down to money in a way rather than bragging rights that I have got this! OH god I am bragging that I am A SKILLED handy person

terry

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Right I fully understand although your last posting not that clear.

Your talking about the filler system you vent in a field when you have overfilled hoping not to go BOOM.

By he tenor of your post you apparently consider this matter ideal and I have no intention in debating.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi S/C more than happy to debate :thumb: it was bobs insinuation that I could not afford the PROPER one:ROFLMAO: and that it all came down to money :Doh:
As to over filling and going boom :ROFLMAO: There is a lot less to go wrong with my filler than the proper jobby :thumb: Read my last post
terry

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Well I've done it, I've installed the gaslow cylinders to-day, I decided not to drill side of van so fitted filler in gas locker, here's a picture of finished job.
John.
http://Link Removed

M

mani01

Deleted User
>>here's a picture of finished job.

looks v.good to me john !!! i copped out and paid the extra £60 to get mine fitted professionally. i'm sure your installation is every bit as good as mine though (certainly looks to be) and you saved yourself a tank full of diesel/petrol too ! :)

to add to the debate, its not so much the cost that i wanted to defer but the ease of filling throughout europe. the last thing i wanted to do was to fiddle about changing bottles and/or regulators "mid stream" just so that i could stay warm at night when in france and germany. the thought of not being able to cook or stay warm "forced" me into a decision that i'm glad i took....

have fun with your gaslow system (remind me i have to check that i've turned off the valves as i'm not using the van for a couple of weeks).

cheers al

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I filled up with 26 litres of gas to-day, I performed a tightness test with my manometer, (U gauge) for 10 minutes and no gas escape, So I'm right chuffed.

John.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
:thumb:WELL done JOHN:ROFLMAO:
Shortcircuit- the only trouble I envisage is having to weigh part full bottles then calculate how much to fill them :Eeek: Better to fill an empty bottle and not take any risks of over filling.On my bottles (small) I can put 7.8 ltr fuel in so I stop at 7 ltrs so I am well with in my 80% limit.I carry 2 bottles,when 1 is empty I put the full one on just as anyone always did before refillable :Smile:I then fill my emptybottle with my filler :thumb:No problems and very simple.I am now going on the other side to try and explain this to Bob who may have even read it on here:ROFLMAO:
terry

My propane fill adapter has the following fill guides (to fill an empty bottle to 80% only) stamped around it so you don't have to remember.
6kg = 9.6ltrs
11kg = 17.6ltrs
13kg = 20.8ltrs

No problem to use just remember to open and close the valve at the right time, not rocket science and nowt to worry about. at £34 the best accessory I've ever bought. And the one that has saved the most amount of money £400+ for gaslow setup. Price repaid over one season.:thumb::thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Wildman :thumb: great gadgets :thumb: as you say they soon pay for themselfs,and yes probably the BEST most cost effective buy you will make in the M/H :thumb:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again Wildman, just to clarify,The weight on the front of the cylinder is the total weight of gas in the bottle.
That means your 6 kg propane bottle holds 12 ltrs of gas
11kg bottle = 22 ltrs
and 13kg = 26 ltrs
that is 80 % full, but then again with your calculations you are well on the safe side of 80 % :thumb: and even calor fill up to 87 % :ROFLMAO:
A bit like mine holding 7.8 ltrs but I only put in 7 ltrs, no hardship at all :ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back