Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
The problem has been sorted thanks to a very patient man at Gaslow. He took me through the problem and sorted it with my son in a very safe and controlled manner.
I would advise anyone having problems to ring Gaslow who are very helpful.
What was it?

OP
OP
C
Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999
Our error. By thinking the cylinders were empty we let the gas trickle in and not stopping. Monzer pointed out you shouldn’t do that. Thanks again to Gaslow.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
So it was basically being over filled.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Glad you are sorted. I am unashamedly going to hijack your thread to see if I can muster some advice.

I have 2 11kg with an auto changeover. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it doesn't. I though I had permanently fixed it after I changed from manual to auto changeover. 1 bottle is definitely empty and the other is less than half full.

I go to the garage and as soon as I connect the pump it seems to release some of the gas already in the bottle. When I start to pump quite a lot of gas escapes from the bottom vent of locker. Not ideal so I stop.

Now it has done this before so all couplings have been tightened and checked with leak detector so what is going on? Best guess is the bottles think they are full so not accepting anymore so gas pressure is forcing it out somewhere else in the line??

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Glad you are sorted. I am unashamedly going to hijack your thread to see if I can muster some advice.

I have 2 11kg with an auto changeover. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it doesn't. I though I had permanently fixed it after I changed from manual to auto changeover. 1 bottle is definitely empty and the other is less than half full.

I go to the garage and as soon as I connect the pump it seems to release some of the gas already in the bottle. When I start to pump quite a lot of gas escapes from the bottom vent of locker. Not ideal so I stop.

Now it has done this before so all couplings have been tightened and checked with leak detector so what is going on? Best guess is the bottles think they are full so not accepting anymore so gas pressure is forcing it out somewhere else in the line??
Have you checked the non-return valve in the filler point. On a couple of occasions mine has stuck. A quick tap with something to free it up has worked in both cases. The first time I put it down to the very cold weather / freezing, the second was just lack of use due to Covid.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Have you checked the non-return valve in the filler point. On a couple of occasions mine has stuck. A quick tap with something to free it up has worked in both cases. The first time I put it down to the very cold weather / freezing, the second was just lack of use due to Covid.
I did try to free everything off before I went to the garage. I will try that again though focusing on the filler. I think I may have to take a few tools with me next time and if it doesn't fill I can park up close to the garage and try a few things.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I did try to free everything off before I went to the garage. I will try that again though focusing on the filler. I think I may have to take a few tools with me next time and if it doesn't fill I can park up close to the garage and try a few things.
I certainly wouldn’t be playing around testing different things on a garage forecourt ⚠️
Slightest LPG leak and they will shut down the forecourt, call the fire brigade and more than likely close the road too !
We’ve had a few customers experience the full Monte .
Where exactly is the gas escaping from ?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I certainly wouldn’t be playing around testing different things on a garage forecourt ⚠️
Slightest LPG leak and they will shut down the forecourt, call the fire brigade and more than likely close the road too !
We’ve had a few customers experience the full Monte .
Where exactly is the gas escaping from ?
Yes I wasn't planning getting my spanners out next to Audrey filling up her volvo estate, I would move a safe distance.

That's the thing I don't know where it is escaping as I can't open up the locker whilst filling to see. I think it must be the filler point but can't say for sure.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Yes I wasn't planning getting my spanners out next to Audrey filling up her volvo estate, I would move a safe distance.

That's the thing I don't know where it is escaping as I can't open up the locker whilst filling to see. I think it must be the filler point but can't say for sure.
If you can't open the locker door I assume your fill point is actually in the door? If that is the case I would suspect the rear fill tube from the fill point to your bottles.opening and closing the door puts a strain on the hose and can cause the hose to fracture) crack or even loosen the end fittings .That's where I would check first.
Ps once you have filled and if the leak is in this hose you won't detect it because there will be no pressure in this section.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If you can't open the locker door I assume your fill point is actually in the door? If that is the case I would suspect the rear fill tube from the fill point to your bottles.opening and closing the door puts a strain on the hose and can cause the hose to fracture) crack or even loosen the end fittings .That's where I would check first.
Ps once you have filled and if the leak is in this hose you won't detect it because there will be no pressure in this section.
It's quite new and fits well when opening and closing so it shouldn't be that but I will check again thanks. I think I have a spare kicking around too so could always replace.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It's quite new and fits well when opening and closing so it shouldn't be that but I will check again thanks. I think I have a spare kicking around too so could always replace.
I Thought that was the situation. When you fill don't open the door until the hose has warmed up, when the liquid gas goes in the hoses are susceptible to cracking/ fracture at low temps.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We had a brand new van straight from the dealers leaking everywhere last week ⚠️
They don’t seem to test the fill side and it was a terrible installation with gauges at the back etc ⚠️

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

I had exactly the same with my set up. It only occasionally leaked a little gas but would hiss as I filled up. I checked all the connections and found nothing, so in frustration started to pull the whole lot out, suspecting a bottle was leaking. On starting to unscrew the pipes, a nut just fell in half. Inspecting it showed that it was fractured years ago, probably when installed. It was held together by a short piece of the brass nut that let go under pressure from the spanner.

What was happening was the super high pressure from filling, opened the crack very slightly and closed when the fill pressure dropped

I renewed all the pipes in the locker and re-made every joint with proper blue paste. No problems on testing or since when filling

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I had exactly the same with my set up. It only occasionally leaked a little gas but would hiss as I filled up. I checked all the connections and found nothing, so in frustration started to pull the whole lot out, suspecting a bottle was leaking. On starting to unscrew the pipes, a nut just fell in half. Inspecting it showed that it was fractured years ago, probably when installed. It was held together by a short piece of the brass nut that let go under pressure from the spanner.

What was happening was the super high pressure from filling, opened the crack very slightly and closed when the fill pressure dropped

I renewed all the pipes in the locker and re-made every joint with proper blue paste. No problems on testing or since when filling
“Proper blue paste “ ?
Not many sealants are suitable for LPG in liquid state, no sealants are required on any LPG filler hoses and are actually more like to cause leaks / problems with NRV etc .
We fit thousands of LPG hoses a year and don’t use any sealants on them .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I searched for a suitable paste and only found one that was rated for LPG. A bit like the old calortite but much improved. Only use a tiny amount on threaded joints and never enough to get inside the pipe to the non return valve. Gaslow and Gas-it use the same stuff apparently

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
forgot to say, not on joints with neoprene seals either

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I searched for a suitable paste and only found one that was rated for LPG. A bit like the old calortite but much improved. Only use a tiny amount on threaded joints and never enough to get inside the pipe to the non return valve. Gaslow and Gas-it use the same stuff apparently
Gaslow and Gasit don’t apply that blue sealant it’s all supplied like that from the manufacturers .
As you can see it’s not applied on the filler hose side as I said because they aren’t actually threaded joints they are tapered jic / sae and no sealants should be applied.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 24

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back