Gaslow problem (1 Viewer)

Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999
In January 2020, newly widowed, I tried to put some gas in my Gaslow system as One cylinder said empty and the second said part full, my husband had previously said they were needing filling. I could only get a small amount in. Spoke to a lady at Gaslow and she said they sound full so empty the cylinders fully. Well first lockdown came, did some camping after that as did my son using heating and hot water as well as cooking. Second lockdown finished and I’ve just been away. Went to a different lpg pump and knowing 1 cylinder is empty and the other nearly empty and still could only get 5 litres in very very slowly! 10 minutes for just over 5litres. The gas system within the Camper is all working well.
Has anyone had a similar problem?

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Believe it or not I have the very same issue with two bottles with auto change over.

Interested to read others with possible fix.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Somewhere in the dark recesses of what is laughingly called my brain I'm sure I've had this problem.

I seem to remember turning off the bottles, and slightly undoing the connection to the changeover valve (in each case). That may? release the pressure in the system. Then retighten the nut.
If that doesn't work, go on, and release the pressure on the connection between the changover and the Reg. Then retighten.

In having to do the above, it may help if you encamp at a garage so that you can try one of the above, attempt to refill, see if that works and, if not, go back to the parking bay and try the next suggestion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We had the same problem the 1st time I went to fill up at Morrison’s. Turns out, when you press the fill button, let your finger off, pause for a couple of seconds and then press again to fill. Sometimes it’s a safety measure that operates.... I call it voodoo.
Hope this helps👍

OP
OP
C
Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999
Believe it or not I have the very same issue with two bottles with auto change over.

Let’s hope we can get Emmit’s fix to work. I was at the point of taking the system out and getting 2 Calor.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I don't recommend it if you don't know what you are doing, but a couple of blows on the cylinder with a rubber mallet "can"free off a stuck non return valve

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I'd go with what emmit has said, that should sort it. If it doesn't, I found my brand new changeover valve was faulty. I don't suppose you know if it's an auto or manual change over valve you have?

I'd also recommend not holding the button at the pump if it seems to be filling slowly or abnormally. It's struggling somewhere so best to get it working properly before attempting to fill.

Where about are you? I'm in Edinburgh at the moment I could have a look if you are close by.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I also went to fill the gas en route to the ferry after long lay off.

After a few secs. the gas switched off with me paying 67p for what had been put in.

"I must have filled up the last time" said I to myself.

Cut to three/four nights later in not so sunny Spain, (Minus 8 on the thermometer).
in the middle of nowhere on a village Spanish area.

"Cup of tea Dear?" then watching in horror as the gas under the kettle died.

One freezing and very early night later, shivering under every piece of winterweight clothing we had,
we emerged at 7.00am to find the nearest garage with PLG.

What had happened? Don't know but it was a lesson learned.

Don't assume, that your system is at fault. It just might be the garage equipment as in my case.

OP
OP
C
Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999
I'd go with what emmit has said, that should sort it. If it doesn't, I found my brand new changeover valve was faulty. I don't suppose you know if it's an auto or manual change over valve you have?

I'd also recommend not holding the button at the pump if it seems to be filling slowly or abnormally. It's struggling somewhere so best to get it working properly before attempting to fill.

Where about are you? I'm in Edinburgh at the moment I could have a look if you are close by.
I stay north of Glasgow. Yesterday when we were trying to fill it after this initial surge of 1 litre we did keep finger on the button but gave Up once 5 litres in and waiting almost 10 minutes. it Is an auto changeover. I will show my son my post.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'd not downgrade GasLow to Calor
(However I have one of each, to cover both bases)

Something is obviously stopping you filling the GasLow, it should only take a few seconds, half a minute at most, to fill a Gaslow cylinder. I would make sure the bottle is switched to 'on' (even though the instructions may say otherwise)
I'd also ensure that the tap that switches between the bottles is switched the correct way to fill each bottle.
Basically the less obstructions the better, as you may have a sticky valve somewhere.

If the worst comes to the worst any gas engineer or caravan repair place should be able to renew the valves & pipes easily enough and it should not cost a lot.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Don't assume, that your system is at fault. It just might be the garage equipment as in my case.
I had trouble filling and the kiosk chap said they'd occasionally had problems with the pump. I went to another garage where it filled O.K.
EDIT.
Another time it filled a couple of litres very slowly then stopped. The kiosk guy said the garage's tank was nearly empty. I went back a couple of days later after a delivery and it filled no problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999
I had trouble filling and the kiosk chap said they'd occasionally had problems with the pump. I went to another garage where it filled O.K.
EDIT.
Another time it filled a couple of litres very slowly then stopped. The kiosk guy said the garage's tank was nearly empty. I went back a couple of days later after a delivery and it filled no problem.
My son has now tried 3 different garages as we thought maybe the pump.

OP
OP
C
Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999

I would be interested to know if you can get yours to work Brian. I have spoken to a man at Gaslow this morning and he is saying probably the pumps were not working correctly at the 3 places I tried, not enough pressure coming in.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I would be interested to know if you can get yours to work Brian. I have spoken to a man at Gaslow this morning and he is saying probably the pumps were not working correctly at the 3 places I tried, not enough pressure coming in.
It can only be one of two things, either the pump or the shut off valve in the cylinder is jammed. Anything on the outgoing side will not stop it filling.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
I’ve not ha a look yet not going away now until week Friday so I’ll gas up then.

Will let you know.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Right update: Had a good look at my bottles and checked both, one was full the other one was empty.

I banged both just in case a sticky float and all sounded looked fine, checked hoses and all looked fine so off I go to the same garage I tanked up last time I had issues but.........

Passing my local Morrison’s and it was quiet so tanked up their and the 2nd tank filled ok.

Im using Mopeka sensors on each bottle and they are showing.....

image.jpg

So today no issues.

Work that one out apart from using a different filling station.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have you filled up before if not it could be the way the high pressure pipes are connected check gaslow web for diagram someone else on here had the same problem

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yes loads of times.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
is this your first fill

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Had a similar problem. It was the non-return valve in the filler connection the pump was unable to overcome its resistance. A poke with a large screwdriver tapped with a mallet freed it but beware of the momentary high pressure gas release; best to wear gloves.

OP
OP
C
Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999
Right update: Had a good look at my bottles and checked both, one was full the other one was empty.

I banged both just in case a sticky float and all sounded looked fine, checked hoses and all looked fine so off I go to the same garage I tanked up last time I had issues but.........

Passing my local Morrison’s and it was quiet so tanked up their and the 2nd tank filled ok.

View attachment 494687
So today no issues.

Glad you are sorted. Unfortunately ours after banging with a mallet nothing went in and definite smell of gas.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

View attachment 494687
So today no issues.

I think that's more to do with the accuracy of your gauges than a filling problem since Gaslow cylinders are supposed to stop filling when they reach 80% full.

OP
OP
C
Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999
is this your first fill
No filled it in Spain and a couple of fills at shell stations 2018. Didn’t use the Camper much in 2019 due to illness. Went to fill in January 2020 and couldn’t. Gaslow said it had been overfilled so used it when I could around lockdown. No issues with gas appliances within the Camper. We’ve now tried a number of pumps. Spent £5 and no smell of gas but it trickled in over almost 10 mins. Spoke to Gaslow again and yesterday went to a pump they Suggested, £1 spent and smell of gas.
Will ring Gaslow tomorrow.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
No filled it in Spain and a couple of fills at shell stations 2018. Didn’t use the Camper much in 2019 due to illness. Went to fill in January 2020 and couldn’t. Gaslow said it had been overfilled so used it when I could around lockdown. No issues with gas appliances within the Camper. We’ve now tried a number of pumps. Spent £5 and no smell of gas but it trickled in over almost 10 mins. Spoke to Gaslow again and yesterday went to a pump they Suggested, £1 spent and smell of gas.
Will ring Gaslow tomorrow.
Can you send me a private message when you get a chance please as Gaslow’s technical support wants you to contact him and I will send you the number.
Some of the suggestions on here are actually quite scary ⚠️

OP
OP
C
Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999
The problem has been sorted thanks to a very patient man at Gaslow. He took me through the problem and sorted it with my son in a very safe and controlled manner.
I would advise anyone having problems to ring Gaslow who are very helpful.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The problem has been sorted thanks to a very patient man at Gaslow. He took me through the problem and sorted it with my son in a very safe and controlled manner.
I would advise anyone having problems to ring Gaslow who are very helpful.
Are you allowed to say what the problem was?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back