Gaslow or Underslung Gas tank (1 Viewer)

Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
I am hoping to take delivery of my Malibu 640 in the next few weeks (It's left the Malibu factory) and now need to choose any extra dealer fitted options. The dealer has quoted me to fit 2 Gaslow 6kg tanks, however I am thinking that an underslung tank may be a better option as it will free up space. If I go down this route I will need to find another fitter as the dealer doesn't fit these. I am wandering if anyone has any thoughts and recommendations for a fitter in the Devon/Cornwall area.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I am hoping to take delivery of my Malibu 640 in the next few weeks (It's left the Malibu factory) and now need to choose any extra dealer fitted options. The dealer has quoted me to fit 2 Gaslow 6kg tanks, however I am thinking that an underslung tank may be a better option as it will free up space. If I go down this route I will need to find another fitter as the dealer doesn't fit these. I am wandering if anyone has any thoughts and recommendations for a fitter in the Devon/Cornwall area.
Check what is available against your van.
Ford transit was only really viable to lose the spare wheel to gain extra lpg.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

When we ordered our van we looked into these options. We decided on 2 x 11kgs Gaslow system based on cost, dealer unable to do the underslung system and possibly having to lose room for a spare tyre.

We have a Sunlight Cliff 600. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’d have gaslow.
LPG getting harder to get so you could be driving around the country looking for gas.
With gaslow you can always swop one for calorie toget you or t of trouble

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
We have the underslung tank on our truck . Where we are in the Midlands (Staffordshire) we have no problem with getting it filled to be honest. Plus...once filled...it takes absolutely ages to use up!
Filled ours up two years ago. I know covid was about but we use it now regularly and still reads 1 led down on the full mark of 10 marks. £56 to fill up too

Kev

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If buy two 10kg Safefill bottles there's no installation costs, more capacity and they are lighter.

Upvote 0

Cherub

Free Member
Sep 24, 2020
Glen Prosen, Angus, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
Since 2009
We have the underslung tank on our truck . Where we are in the Midlands (Staffordshire) we have no problem with getting it filled to be honest. Plus...once filled...it takes absolutely ages to use up!
Filled ours up two years ago. I know covid was about but we use it now regularly and still reads 1 led down on the full mark of 10 marks. £56 to fill up too

Kev
Yep we have no problem getting it either. We filled up last year and still almost full after quite a few trips and we do cook and heat and use hot water.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Oh come on..... it's not THAT hard to find Autogas LPG.

Is this in danger of becoming a self for filling prophecy?

I understand some areas are short of garages that sell LPG, but its not hard to find. Loads of members on here saying where it can be obtained. (y)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Is this in danger of becoming a self for filling prophecy?

I understand some areas are short of garages that sell LPG, but its not hard to find. Loads of members on here saying where it can be obtained. (y)
Completely agree, think that a lot of people just believe that because theres not one available locally they can't fill up. They dont reconcile the fact that they can find plenty of garages via the available apps that do lpg. I was guilty of this until someone mentioned in another thread I have to admit and the penny dropped.
Filled up first time over 100 miles away and had no bother on the last 3 top ups with a little bit of planning. Very simple.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I have a question if you have underslung do you have o wait until empty to fill back up ?

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have a question if you have underslung do you have o wait until empty to fill back up ?
No. :)

To the OP, we had an 80 x litre underslung bulk tank on our Hymer, which we thought we would miss when we sold her, so we put money aside to have one fitted to our Flair which already came with 2 x 11Kg Gaslow cylinders.
To date, we have been able to manage, as we are only a third less of useable capacity than before, but if we were to start from scratch, and had the room on the chassis and enough payload, we'd go for a bulk tank everytime. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I believe your van will take 2 x 11 kg Alugas or Gaslow refillable LPG cylinders.
You might get a 30 litre underslung LPG tank on that model so the tank is approximately 12 kg useable LPG .

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thanks for all of the advice. We have decided to go for 2 x 11kg Gaslow refillable LPG cylinders.
At least with those, when you change your van you can take them out and get them swapped over,or even sell them. With an under slung, it goes with the van and you wont get any thing extra for it on selling.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back