Gaslow or Autogas (Aluminium bottles) (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Hi all, just getting our new to us MH next week and would like a LPG system fitted. First thoughts were Gaslow, then I thought the aluminium bottles from Autogas would be beneficial for payload reasons!
Is there any benefits other than the obvious, cost, weight etc. I will be going to Germany, Austria and Slovenia if that is important at all.

Ady

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We had one 11kg Gaslow and wanted to add another. After a bit of investigation, weighing and calculations I discovered that two Alugas 11kg are just short of 2 stones lighter. I weighed them as what Gaslow claim isn’t what the scales tell you. Needless to say we now have twin Alugas. They are a bit more expensive, though when I visited Autogas to price up the bits they fitted them for free.

Reactions: f6c
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
(y)dont forget gasit, quite a bit cheaper

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
(y)dont forget gasit, quite a bit cheaper
Indeed, but about the same weight as gaslow. We had a single 11kg gas-it refillable fitted. Have a 6kg Calor Lite for backup - works for us. (y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We’re having a single 14kg Alugas cylinder fitted in a few weeks time, assuming it fits as expected in the locker. The main driver for us being a combination of convenience and weight reduction over Calor and other refillable options.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I got 2x11kg alugas thinking to save a bit of weight. After experience I could have got away with just one. You can refill at any time and 11kg lasts a reasonable time unless you are skiing (which I don't do)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We tried a 14 but it was too tall for our gas locker.
With the shroud removed I *think* we should be ok in terms of the cylinder fitting in the locker. What I’m not sure about is whether there should be a certain drop length from regulator to cylinder for the pigtail. Will let the supplier/installer guide us there.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Alugas strike me as being better quality but I’ve not had any to be able to judge. I went for SafeFill, to gain other advantages, when economising on payload.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
We had a single 14kg Alugas fitted by Autogas last year. It just fitted in our locker (Rapido 666) without the shroud. There is a drop in the hose from the regulator to the cylinder valve but it isn't much - Autogas deemed it OK, having registered concern about having to ensure a drop beforehand.

It worked well over the winter, lasting at least a week running the heating in cold (sometimes freezing) weather in Spain. The gauge on the cylinder seems at the moment to be useful, with the border between the green and yellow sectors being at a point which has just under 25% remaining.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Chris and team at Autogas, Thirsk fitted one 14kg Alugas bottle to our van. We had wanted an undeslung tank but the low chassis did not permit this without substantive work which would have affected our warranty.
We are very happy with the Alugas bottle. It has freed up space in the gas locker and with the filler point in the skirt below, we've had no problem filling up lpg in Greece, Spain, Italy, France and Portugal.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unless you have a major issue with payload (or axle load) then I would go for a Gaslow or Gasit system, quite a bit cheaper than Alugas.

We've got a twin Gaslow 11kg system, we used to have an 11kg and 6kg (the opportunity to get a second 11kg came up locally so I sold the 6kg and put the 11kg in). Our Globecar Familyscout PVC has a gas fridge so as we go away for up to 7 weeks at a time, never go on sites (or have hook-up) and stay in remote areas where LPG stations are infrequent, having 2 cylinders made sense and reduced how often we have to top up anyway. Our new camper, however, has an electric only fridge so we might find that we actually don't need 2 large cylinders now ... after our first holiday we'll have a better idea but until then I'll keep my second cylinder just to be safe. For us payload isn't an issue as the van was registered at 4250kg, but even at 3500kg it still had over 500kg payload.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back