Gaslow inlet pipe burst (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6767
Just refilled my Gaslow and the inlet pipe burst open. Does anyone know of someone that can fix it at short notice? I am in Surrey, but can travel if needs be

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
that is bad news and i am sure an inconvenience you could do without. out of interest was it a rubber / composite hose or a stainless and was it dated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
My gaslow pipes are stainless steel sheafed with a clear plastic cover so would be interested to know if yours are the same type,?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just refilled my Gaslow and the inlet pipe burst open. Does anyone know of someone that can fix it at short notice? I am in Surrey, but can travel if needs be
Was that whilst filling or after filling? Is the fill point in the gas locker door?
Thanks

OP
OP
M
Aug 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6767
A quick google suggested these people fit gaslow so should be able to replace a pipe. https://camperandmotorhomecentre.co.uk/services/accessory-fitting
Thanks for that. I spoke to a very nice chap there who took the time to Google parts for me while I was on the phone and then talked me through how to do the fix myself.

Was that whilst filling or after filling? Is the fill point in the gas locker door?
Thanks
Happened during filling. One tank about half filled.

Here's the gory details for anyone interested.

Attachments

• IMG_D6F63CE8C788-1.jpeg
    IMG_D6F63CE8C788-1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 208
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Looks like the braided pipe is also plastic coated? Is the fill point in the gas locker door by any chance, it's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks as though it is.?

OP
OP
M
Aug 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6767
Looks like the braided pipe is also plastic coated? Is the fill point in the gas locker door by any chance, it's hard to tell from the photo.?
The filler point is indeed in the locker door. According to a chap at Gaslow, this is quite a common failure point.

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
I would be interested to know if the pipe is rubber or hard plastic on the inner bit? On the door will always be more susceptible as bending when opening, closing the door.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The filler point is indeed in the locker door. According to a chap at Gaslow, this is quite a common failure point.
My filler point has been in the locker door for 7 years (Gaslow plastic covered braided s/s hose). I fitted it with the right angled adaptor as recommended by Gaslow. I don't use the locker for anything else so the door is rarely opened.

2017-06-19 gaslow door instructions 001.JPG

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
I would be interested to know if the pipe is rubber or hard plastic on the inner bit? On the door will always be more susceptible as bending when opening, closing the door.
Apparently the inner is a convoluted stainless tube.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Its more susceptable to fracturing of the pipe if the door is closed soon after filling directly, due to the very low temperatures of the lpg.even st steel braided hoses will crack/ fracture at low temps after a few bends of doors opening/ closing but not as easily as a rubber hose.
Similar to this vid ,albeit liquid oxygen .

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Really! Would have thought that was very bad if it got kinked.
Its covered in braid to make it less prone to kinking ,but is easily done if bent over a sharp angle rather than a long bend.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Yep I'd have thought a better bet would have been a PTFE one, on another forum some years ago I suggested that the stainless hose would have had a PTFE liner as is common for fuel etc. lines and was corrected by another member that posted a link to the Gaslow information.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes the pipe inside the braiding is a flexible stainless steel and temperature aside stainless steel doesn't really like flexing as it hardens and fractures, our pipe was in the door on the Flair and it burst at our first fill the replacement is reinforced rubber in a loop and better I think.

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Yep I'd have thought a better bet would have been a PTFE one, on another forum some years ago I suggested that the stainless hose would have had a PTFE liner as is common for fuel etc. lines and was corrected by another member that posted a link to the Gaslow information.
Rubber braided would resist kinks better than PTFE, the braiding is there to help stop kinks and abrasion and give it a bit more strength. But I guess stainless will cope with the temp better.

OP
OP
M
Aug 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6767
Update on this: upon reviewing the photo I posted above, Carl at Gaslow has informed me that the installation wasn't carried out properly by their dealer. There is in fact an elbow joint installed at the locker door, as they recommend, but it wasn't angled correctly. They are going to contact the dealer to offer them a training course, have offered to send me a replacement hose and given me lots of advice on how to install it to avoid undue stress.

Can't ask for more than that, so well done Gaslow.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Having spoken to the chap at Gaslow, I've since come around to this exact way of thinking.
Lots of dealers fit the filler point in the door as it’s the quickest and easiest way ⚠️
Door mounted filler point should be a last resort option if nowhere else is possible.
The stainless steel hoses definitely don’t like the constant strain when in the door .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back