Gaslow - how does it work? (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
Our van has Gaslow fitted (2x R67 cylinders) but I've not got any instructions for its use.
When the gas runs out I simply go to the LPG station and refill however I'd like to understand more.

Sorry to appear like a moron, but...
When I run out of gas, does this mean both cylinders are empty? I've never changed the selector valve as previous owner suggested it was all automatic.
Also, when I go to LPG station does this refill/top-up both cylinders or do I need to change the selector valve to refill each cylinder separately?

I'm guessing there will be operating instructions online...

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Depending on the size of your tanks, if you’re filling 2 x 6kgs will total approx 24 litres of gas....that’s both bottles full.
2 x 11kgs will fill 44 litres.

The only trouble with leaving the auto changeover on is that you don’t know how much gas is left.
We usually turn one off manually so that we know when we have 1 bottle left.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If you have an automatic changeover valve then both bottles are empty when you run out of gas.
When refilling it automatically fills both bottles, regardless or changeover valves as it refills through a different pipe.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Of course there is. But for life critical data you don't want opinions.
As it’s already installed and OP is just asking how it works and how it fills, I fail to see how it’s life critical..but hey ho!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
ill just add my two penneth on the auto change over valves...
I think they are great but you do have to go check the gas locker from time to time..(y)
the selected cylinder will keep the green dial showing until it changes over cylinders... it will then turn red....
thats the clue that you are on your second cylinder :LOL:..
Andy

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
many a mistake made on the forecourt filling up. .. some have resulted in fires..
On gasit or gaslow installations? We’re not talking about an eBay adapter or anything.... How can that be? I’m honestly interested to know....

OP
OP
Homer-Adria
May 22, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600DT
Exp
Since 2012
Does the auto changover valve "equalise" both bottles or totally switch from one bottle to the other when primary bottle empty? I guess the latter, hence the suggestion from #Lisa, about shutting-off the second bottle.
I think what was confusing me is that the gauge on the auto-changeover was stuck and not flipping from Green to Red.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On gasit or gaslow installations? We’re not talking about an eBay adapter or anything.... How can that be? I’m honestly interested to know....

no, not a dodgy ebay adapter.. proper installed refillable bottles

there was a fire on a forecourt in the south of France .. a couple were attempting to fill up a camper with LPG, there was a a massive leak which caught alight.. it destroyed the van and most of the filling station.. upshot was the fuel supplier banned refilling bottles or any description.. some filling stations in France still have a ban ..

another was n the UK at Countrywide LPG filling depot ..

will look for the reports and provide them.. otherwise it's just hearsay

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Does the auto changover valve "equalise" both bottles or totally switch from one bottle to the other when primary bottle empty?
I did post above to try and explain:D
The change over valve has a dial on it that you rotate to face whichever bottle is in use... but both cylinders valves are left open....
When that cylinder empties the dial will change to red indicating the selected cylinder is empty.... if you rotate the knob on the change over valve to the second cylinder which its now drawing gas from, it will turn green again...
With a refilable system that has a fill hose connecting two cylinders there will be a non return valve on each inlet... otherwise as you say the two cylinders would act as one ...
Andy.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The Auto-changeover valve switches from ‘master’ to ‘slave’ when the ‘master’ is empty. It only takes from one bottle or the other. When taking from the ‘slave’ there should be some kind of indication (usually ‘green’ goes to ‘red’).

You don’t need to switch the selection with re-fillables but, if you have bottles of different sizes, you may prefer to select the larger one as ‘master’.

It’s easiest to keep both bottles open all the time but you will need to make a regular habit of looking to see if the master is empty or not (best as you set out on the leg of a journey). If that’s too much of a fag, keep the ‘slave’ switched off until the master runs out. You’re bound to find that happens at the least convenient of times, but it will be an unmissable reminder.

Switch both bottles off before refilling, just to protect the regulator side. The filling is separate from the take-offs and will refill both bottles whether they are on or off. There’s a bit of ‘pfiss’ and gassing at the start, to pressurize the filling hose, and that can be disconcerting. I suggest you get someone to show you the first time, then you’ll know better what to expect.

Edit: I see that others have replied as I have been typing.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
The Auto-changeover valve switches from ‘master’ to ‘slave’ when the ‘master’ is empty. It only takes from one bottle or the other. When taking from the ‘slave’ there should be some kind of indication (usually ‘green’ goes to ‘red’).

You don’t need to switch the selection with re-fillables but, if you have bottles of different sizes, you may prefer to select the larger one as ‘master’.

It’s easiest to keep both bottles open all the time but you will need to make a regular habit of looking to see if the master is empty or not (best as you set out on the leg of a journey). If that’s too much of a fag, keep the ‘slave’ switched off until the master runs out. You’re bound to find that happens at the least convenient of times, but it will be an unmissable reminder.

Switch both bottles off before refilling, just to protect the regulator side. The filling is separate from the take-offs and will refill both bottles whether they are on or off. There’s a bit of ‘pfiss’ and gassing at the start, to pressurize the filling hose, and that can be disconcerting. I suggest you get someone to show you the first time, then you’ll know better what to expect.

Edit: I see that others have replied as I have been typing.
Good job you did post. I think yours was the only one to say to turn off the bottles before filling, which is pretty important.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the Auto changeover was a Hymer option you should have a small control panel inside the van like this.

upload_2018-3-1_18-57-1.png

A Green LED indicates it is on the primary bottle and a Red LED for the reserve, the switch turns on the regulator heater (yellow LED) for extream cold weather, stops the regulator icing.

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
to turn off the bottles before filling, which is pretty important.
I fitted an underslung lpg tank rather than refilable cylinders...
Ive never shut the outlet valve on the tank to fill it...
It would involve getting under the van and removing a cover that protects the valving... so while it in theory may be possible to damage the regulator i think they are capable of surving considerably more than pump pressure...
But ill have to check the figures...
Andy.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Might be worth posting a picture showing the Gaslow bottles and the valves / regulator that are fitted. Then we can probably advise how the system works.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted an underslung lpg tank rather than refilable cylinders...
Ive never shut the outlet valve on the tank to fill it...
It would involve getting under the van and removing a cover that protects the valving... so while it in theory may be possible to damage the regulator i think they are capable of surving considerably more than pump pressure...
But ill have to check the figures...
Andy.
Filling pressure is as far as I've be able to obtain around 140 psi, Truma regulators max input is 230 psi. I always turn mine of don't want risk it, with regulators at £120 a pop.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Filling pressure is as far as I've be able to obtain around 140 psi, Truma regulators max input is 230 psi. I always turn mine of don't want risk it, with regulators at £120 a pop.

Ive not checked to be honest so this may be rubbish :D
But when i was looking into it i think the dispensing pressure was something in the reigon of 100psi above tank vapour pressure...which can vary quite a bit depending on temperature...
Again i dont know or remember the max pressure for my regulator but taking yours as an eg ie 230psi then i suppose on a hot day with a tank temperature of around 27degrees C that figure could be reached...
And of course the advice is to shut the cylinders... its just i have never bothered....
Im sure my regulator was around £40 and i thought that was pricey :(
Andy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Clesse regulator from Gaslow is £36.50 ..

I asked Gaslow about closing bottle valves when filling..

Hi James

Thank you for your enquiry, you should always turn of the outlet from the cylinders when refilling, otherwise the pressure on the regulator increases and can damage it while filling. Also if its not turned off, you can risk getting liquid gas into the regulator.

Regards

Jacquie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back