Gaslow hoses and door filling (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had Gaslow fitted before we left on our travels in August 2013, later I read the stories on the hoses failing on the system we though nah it won't happen to us.
Well it has....yesterday when trying to fill in a local garage, hissing and clouds of steam coming out from the locker below the gas locker while filling through the filler they inserted in the door, and now we realise with the wrong filler adaptor, should have been with the ubend type not the straight adaptor.
The act of opening and closing of the door has kinked the pipe behind the filler.
Luckily Tommy of camperserve here in the Algarve is sorting it out for us and ringing Gaslow on Monday to get a new hose and adaptor sent to him so that he can fit it for us.
Marquis ordered this for us as we didn't know what was needed and a local caravan and motorhome service garage fitted it for us as Marquis couldn't fit us in before we left in our holiday in September.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
When I fitted my Gaslow system I read that it was not recommended to fit the filler to the door for that very reason, so I mounted it on a bracket inside

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Dave at Marquis ordered the required parts for us as we didn't know what to order from Gaslow.
Just hope this highlights it to check that the right component is ordered in the first place.
First time using Gaslow for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Good system, I'm only changing because I got a new fixed tank at a very good price which will free up the gas locker for wet stuff

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Sorry to hear of your problem and cautionary tale. I am at the planning stage and was considering entry through the door. Surely once fitted, the use of the door was then more or less redundant, apart from the occasional switching over of tanks, if manual. Not a high traffic zone ?
You would need your gas here this morning, crisp and frosty ! :roflmto:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
When I had refillables fitted the problem was where to site the filler. Using the standard gaslow offering the only place to fit it was the locker door because of the size of the hole required.

Not happy with that because of the stories about door opening and the warnings given I asked what alternatives there were. Dave Newell came up with this Link Removed. It only requires a small (relatively) hole and was easily accomodated in the skirt on the van, and looks quite unobtrusive.

It also has the benefit that if I change the van and remove the bottles the hole can be blanked with a normal grommet.

Lunarman

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The latest Gaslow fitting instructions show it as ok to have the filler in the gas locker door - provided a 90 degree bend is fitted to stop movement of the hose at the filler when the door is opened. The dealer who fitted my Gaslow system before I collected the van had neglected to do this - and I had the same scary moment on the forecourt with gas rushing back out of the locker vent. :Eeek:

Eddie VanBitz put it right for me and no problems since. :thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had the same issue on a previous Van but noticed when we pulled up to picnic one day and the gas in the fill pipe leaked out when I opened the door to turn on the gas. Suprising how much vapour comes out of the pipe - I thought I had a full blown gas leak on my hands but it stopped after a long couple of minutes. We bought (from JCM) and fitted a 90degree elbow on the back of the filler to cure it. Current Van has a filler in the door but its just for show! The real filler is in the locker on a bracket. Added by the previous owner because he didnt like the idea of it being in the door.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the same scary moment on the forecourt with gas rushing back out of the locker vent. :Eeek:

Under those conditions, one spark and there would nothing left of your MH and the wrong mix of/ gas/air you and the filling station could have been gonners.

I used to do work in the HSE labs and saw explosives and gas tank tests, pretty scary.

So take care out there.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
sorry about my naivety, it looks like a solid bracket inside or pukka exterior fitting anywhere except the locker door. Safety issue that is not worth any risk. :Smile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Under those conditions, one spark and there would nothing left of your MH and the wrong mix of/ gas/air you and the filling station could have been gonners.

I know. :Eeek: I didn't panic at the time but got a bit twitchy thinking about it afterwards.
very-nervous.gif

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
sorry about my naivety, it looks like a solid bracket inside or pukka exterior fitting anywhere except the locker door. Safety issue that is not worth any risk. :Smile:

In-locker fillers can be refused by filling stations and it's not always possible to fit an external filler adjacent to the gas locker depending on what else is constructed around it. HTH

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
90% of the time it is possible to fit the filler under the locker on the side skirt of the van it's very rare that the only place to fit is in the door.

mine is under the locker in the skirt and the filler pipe just goes through the floor of the gas locker and up to the inlet of the bottle.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
pukka exterior fitting anywhere except the locker door.

Gets my vote despite what people say, some of then to sell kit of course.

If a pipe is made to flex over a wide arc regularly it's not going to be as reliable as one not moving, is it.

Well it might be if talking aircraft quality flexible but these cheap steel cored hoses aren't.

The good news is they are only under pressure when filling.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Fully agree with that, Brian

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have an underslung and the filler is fitted in the floor of the redundant gas locker at the front, never been refused at a garage even though I have to on occasion lift something out and leave it on the floor while I fill up. Just on the A5 not far from me there is a self service unmanned pump I use sometimes that is generally cheaper than anyone else

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back