Gaslow Gauge (1 Viewer)

Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
I recently had a local dealer install the first bottle of a projected 2 bottle (11kg) Gaslow set-up. It filled fine but sadly the contents gauge registers empty. Its definitely full of gas. The dealer was very apologetic and advised that this is a common issue with Gaslow bottles and is a fault inside. They will change the bottle when I have used the gas. A bit disaapointing when I have forked out a hefty sum for the installation. However how can I know the next bottle will not be the same? (rhetorical!)

:Sad:Has anyone else had the same experience? Have Gaslow said anything? is there any alternative to having to wait till the bottles empty?

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
When I first filled mine it registered empty. But after driving about 100 miles the bumps must have freed it up and it registered full. That was 3 years ago and it's been fine ever since.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no alternative !

you cant decant the fuel from a full to an empty tank as the internal pressure would equalise at the half way point and you end up with two half full bottles.

not sure how the Gaslow gauge works but if its purely mechanical (not pressure related) it can jam.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
In my experience the Gaslow clip on guages serve only as an indicative glance. Full seems to register for ever, then you look again and it reads empty.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In my experience the Gaslow clip on guages serve only as an indicative glance. Full seems to register for ever, then you look again and it reads empty.
Yes you simply need to understand how the gauge functions and gaslow provide a very clear information card with pictures to demonstrate how to interpret it. Most people either lose it or discard it and then wonder why it doesn't show what they expect.

Illustration here
Link Removed

gaslow%20gauge-M.jpg

Last edited:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
The first time we filled the Gaslow bottle the gauge stayed on empty until we had been out for a run in the MH.

The gauge, well mine at least, seems not to fit very well and sometimes got dislodged and needed jiggling about until it registers full.

I got p*ssed off with it and decided to put a drop of super glue on the back of the clip and stuck it to the valve.

It's worked perfectly well ever since.

:france::france::france:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The first time we filled the Gaslow bottle the gauge stayed on empty until we had been out for a run in the MH.

The gauge, well mine at least, seems not to fit very well and sometimes got dislodged and needed jiggling about until it registers full.

I got p*ssed off with it and decided to put a drop of super glue on the back of the clip and stuck it to the valve.

Yes the plastic clips break. Mine is tie wrapped on.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I'm sure I've read somewhere that the gauges may not work on the first fill, but will be fine after that, but can't find it at the moment. Someone may be able to help out with that.

As has been pointed out via the illustrations posted, the gauge only monitors the last 50% left in the bottle, that's why it seems to drop so quickly.

OP
OP
Hobbyhorse
Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012
When I first filled mine it registered empty. But after driving about 100 miles the bumps must have freed it up and it registered full. That was 3 years ago and it's been fine ever since.

Thanks Drago 35 . I took the MH out for a weekend ad lo! - the gauge suddenly sprang to life and registered full. Clearly unrepaired winter potholes have a use!
Lets hope it continues as yours has.:Smile:

OP
OP
Hobbyhorse
Jan 6, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Exclusive
Exp
Since 2012

I'm inclined to agree - the gauge is pretty flimsy and falls oiff easily - I'll bear in mind te super glue option. Thanks Roryboys Dad:thumb:

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
My gaslow Guage has just gone from Full to empty in 24 hours on tank 1 , but there is lots of gas in the tank . and tank 2 is full but has no guage , Im not sure if the regulator needs turning to get tank 2 onto the system , als the guage is cracked and the clip is loose ,its a micky mouse bit of engineering ,, I want a proper reliable guage any ideas ???

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A 10 year old thread reserected.
There are two types of gauges the ones that are inline with the outlet are useless.
The ones that fit in the top of the tank are connected to a float and register when the tank gets down to about ½ full and are fairly accurate.
I don't look at my gauges just fill up after my system has swapped to the second bottle.

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
so I need 2 top mount gauges for 2 tanks ??? for reasonable accuracy

I noticed that Gaslow website clip on gauges are £4.99 each but on ebay they start at £12.99 to £21.99 ripoff or what !!!!!

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
the only way to get an half decent gauge you need to spend real money eg Mopeka ultrasonic or use physics and tip water over the bottles to see a condensation line. dont bother with the last one just spend money on mopeka or alternatives or get 2 bottles and use the lenny method

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
A 10 year old thread reserected.
There are two types of gauges the ones that are inline with the outlet are useless.
The ones that fit in the top of the tank are connected to a float and register when the tank gets down to about ½ full and are fairly accurate.
I don't look at my gauges just fill up after my system has swapped to the second bottle.
From your experience, does the gauge ever register full? The reason I ask is our 11kg bottle was at just before the amber zone. We filled it up until the dispenser shut off, and the gauge was still only at 75%. That was about 16 litres of gas. I checked it when we got back to base so it had been jiggled about a bit. Like you, we have the auto swap over (to Calor as a backup) and also use the "if we are passing somewhere top it up regime."
Safe and happy travels.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My 11kg Gaslow gauge seems to be pretty good. When I fill up, it shows full. It stays there for a short while before it starts to move, probably around the 80% mark. Then progressively drops. I've tended to refill it when the gauge is getting towards the red. I normally get about 15 litres in.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From your experience, does the gauge ever register full? The reason I ask is our 11kg bottle was at just before the amber zone. We filled it up until the dispenser shut off, and the gauge was still only at 75%. That was about 16 litres of gas. I checked it when we got back to base so it had been jiggled about a bit. Like you, we have the auto swap over (to Calor as a backup) and also use the "if we are passing somewhere top it up regime."
Safe and happy travels.
I have Alugas bottles the gauge reads full until the bottles are either ½ or ⅓ ful can't remember which.

Here is a diagram of a Gaslow one.

Screenshot_2023-10-04-18-20-35-61_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Yes you simply need to understand how the gauge functions and gaslow provide a very clear information card with pictures to demonstrate how to interpret it. Most people either lose it or discard it and then wonder why it doesn't show what they expect.

Illustration here
Link Removed

gaslow%20gauge-M.jpg
Thanks Techno, just printed off, will laminate and keep in the gas locker for ref.

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I have 2 Gaslow bottles and The ''lenny '' method seems uncomplicated ,logical , sound and cheap!!!!!!!!

Mind u the one that said it was empty is still working 10 days later

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back