Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Boat Owner
Exp
Since 2011
Hello, we hope all is well.

Was time to replace our gas regulator, a Gaslow regulator with gauge, although the gauge had not worked for some time, but maybe the gauge just needed adjustment, was just wondering if anyone else has a similar device with Gaslow gauge and is aware of gauge adjustment as no mention of adjustment in the user instructions.

The issue, was the gauge was reading full green, meaning great gas pressure, however, was always reading green, even when on the bench connected to nothing.

A shake of the gauge reflected internal movement, so we decided to dismantle and investigate.

Please see attached where we have removed gauge from regulator and rigged the gauge to a maual pump with release valve.

Initially, the pump seemed to be having an effect, but the gauge was reading wrong.

We then discovered the transparent case of the gauge rotates, so we rotated the gauge to reflect red i.e. no gas, then operating the pump, released the valve and all appears well with the gauge red to green to red as expected.

We have instructions for the gauge, but no mention of any possible adjustment by rotating the gauge dial.

Now the regulator is nearing 10 years old, so needed replacing anyway and is now well past re-usingf, so just left wondering if the undocument adjustment applied seems reasonable, there was certainly no great resistance in rotating the dial and nothing seemed to break.

The replacement regulator has no gauge and we would like to re-instate a gauge, Gaslow do a gauge that can be added inline with regulator, we would just like the gauge as a backup to help defend against future issues with the gas installation.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• gaslow 01.jpg
    gaslow 01.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 41
  • gaslow 02.jpg
    gaslow 02.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
D

DaveBrent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Boat Owner
Exp
Since 2011
Hello, for info and to conclude, we have emailed the good folk at Gaslow and have just received the following reply

"Many thanks for your email. I can confirm that you can rotate the lens to the correct position without any issues however if you wish to sent the product back to us we will replace the gauge for you."

Very nice of them to offer to replace the gauge, but the regulator at 10 years old is probably well past it's best, but now have good comfort feeling about buying another Gaslow regulator gauge, thanks

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Interesting. I have the same Gaslow regulator with gauge. Does rotating the lens require determined effort or could it become rotated inadvertently, e.g. in transit or during installation?
Strange that Gaslow don't mention checking/setting the gauge calibration by filling the cylinder and rotating the lens to the appropriate green 'Full' position.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DaveBrent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Boat Owner
Exp
Since 2011
Interesting. I have the same Gaslow regulator with gauge. Does rotating the lens require determined effort or could it become rotated inadvertently, e.g. in transit or during installation?
Strange that Gaslow don't mention checking/setting the gauge calibration by filling the cylinder and rotating the lens to the appropriate green 'Full' position.
It took a little persuading, so do not think it will move on it's own, having dismantled the unit, we find the lense does not form part of the pressure system, can be carefully prise off with screwdriver, there are two insert locations and then a careful persuade around the edges. We think the actual internal dial probably rotated from it's spindle with the force that occurs when the regulator receives the initial whoosh of pressure and then locks out.
The new regulator does not have gauge, but thinking of adding the Gaslow gauge for the comfort of additional leak detection. We have a bubble tester, but have seen youtube videos where leaks are not detected at the bubble tester so we are a bit nervous and would welcome the additional comfort a gauge gives you. Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Those gauges are as good as useless and can only show the difference between a full cylinder and a nearly empty one. The only gauges that work are the level gauges fitted in the bottles.

OP
OP
D

DaveBrent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Boat Owner
Exp
Since 2011
Those gauges are as good as useless and can only show the difference between a full cylinder and a nearly empty one. The only gauges that work are the level gauges fitted in the bottles.
You are probably right, however our interest in the gauge is more as a leak detector. We want to see that when we turn the gas off, the pressure is held for a reasonable time, say 10 to 15 minutes, thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You are probably right, however our interest in the gauge is more as a leak detector. We want to see that when we turn the gas off, the pressure is held for a reasonable time, say 10 to 15 minutes, thanks
Exactly all I use it for. (Like my m/h fresh water gauge)
I only need my Gaslow gauge to be good enough to show when getting near to needing refilling. As with my vehicles I never let the level gets so low as to cause anxiety. Unlike my ex who habitually left refuelling her car til it was running on fumes, then panic :rolleyes: which I could never understand as she had to fill up at some point so it might as well have been when it's still showing a quarter or more.
I have a Gaslow refillable and an exchange Calor propane, both connected to the regulator and only have the Calor cylinder as a last resort, which to date has never been needed as 95% of my touring is 'over there' where LPG refill pumps are common.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back