Gaslow fitting (1 Viewer)

Pinfolders

Free Member
Mar 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Just had Gaslow fitted to our motorhome by Autogas2000 near Thirsk, North Yorkshire.
What great service they give. Fitted in about 40 minutes, showed us how to fill using a gas pump.
We now have options, with an 11kg Gaslow and room in the locker for a 6kg Calor/Flogas if we need it.
Funsters get 5% discount on the parts.
Andrew

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Well worth fitting a Gaslow or similar system, we’ve got 2 x 11kgs (approximately 42 litres)…….

We just got back from a four night away trip, needing to use our own facilities. Cooking, heating (every evening) and far more hot water than we usually would need to heat up…….6 litres of lpg, grand total of £3.47. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 6, 2021
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D68 PVC
Exp
A little
Well worth fitting a Gaslow or similar system, we’ve got 2 x 11kgs (approximately 42 litres)…….

We just got back from a four night away trip, needing to use our own facilities. Cooking, heating (every evening) and far more hot water than we usually would need to heat up…….6 litres of lpg, grand total of £3.47. (y)
I'm intrigued to know how you know that you've consumed 6 litres? Clearly you have a gauge of some sort to monitor. I ask because a friend of mine has a Gaslow (not recent) conversion and he had no way of monitoring this so he purchased a device which sits under his cylinder and which somehow monitors the content of the cylinder and relays this via Bluetooth to an app on his phone.

I was expecting to have some kind of gauge but in truth I don't know what I will get. I am going for the 2 X 11kgs setup as well.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Filled up before we went, pulled into garage on the way home and topped up again. (y)

I wouldn’t normally have bothered, knowing I left with two full canisters, but I’m trying to assess how long they will last me. I only use gauges as a rough guide.

Both cylinders are fitted with a gauge.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Any help?

86BC7F6B-3168-438D-B21F-82FE0F255463.jpeg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Before I installed an underslung tank which has an accurate gauge I had an 11kg bottle and a 6kg bottle. I ran with the 11 open and the 6 closed, when it ran out I opened the 6 till I could get the eleven filled.

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Badknee / Sapper520
Can't find the manual (least read things by men) but do you open both taps when in use or just 1 at a time?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Badknee / Sapper520
Can't find the manual (least read things by men) but do you open both taps when in use or just 1 at a time?
Depends on how you are using your system and which type of changeover valve you have , personally I don’t use my automatic changeover valve as I would run out completely through lack of checking level so like to leave one cylinder turned off as a reserve.
Please do be aware that you need to alternate between your cylinders if only operating one, as there is a risk with any refillable cylinder installation of eventually overfilling the inactive cylinder .

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Will keep an eye on the gauges, had been using it with both valves open and this weekend just opened the 1.
System I think has auto switch but will try and find manual and the adaptors, will then break the man thing and read it.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
I'm intrigued to know how you know that you've consumed 6 litres? Clearly you have a gauge of some sort to monitor. I ask because a friend of mine has a Gaslow (not recent) conversion and he had no way of monitoring this so he purchased a device which sits under his cylinder and which somehow monitors the content of the cylinder and relays this via Bluetooth to an app on his phone.

I was expecting to have some kind of gauge but in truth I don't know what I will get. I am going for the 2 X 11kgs setup as well.
Gaslow market a system called Wave. Bluetooth to an app on your phone. Expensive but appears to be accurate and is easy to install and use.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Depends on how you are using your system and which type of changeover valve you have , personally I don’t use my automatic changeover valve as I would run out completely through lack of checking level so like to leave one cylinder turned off as a reserve.
Please do be aware that you need to alternate between your cylinders if only operating one, as there is a risk with any refillable cylinder installation of eventually overfilling the inactive cylinder .

I’ve not run a cylinder down fully yet (lack of use), but will now not refill the system until I’m well into the second one.(y)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I know that Gaslow are almost the Kwik Fit (I.e. first port of call!) of refillable systems and are excellent but for new motorhomers who are thinking of this type of installation and are tight for payload you can get an alumimum alternative Alugas from Autogas2000.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I know that Gaslow are almost the Kwik Fit (I.e. first port of call!) of refillable systems and are excellent but for new motorhomers who are thinking of this type of installation and are tight for payload you can get an alumimum alternative Alugas from Autogas2000.
I wouldn't compare Kwik fit with anyone and not the first port of call .total rip off merchants are Kwik fit.

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
Since 2019, caravans from 2010

I bought the Bluetooth indicator with mine. However, I've been away for two weeks cooking on gas and it still shows full.

Skidmarks69

Free Member
Nov 5, 2018
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Interestingly, we have just had a Gaslow system (2 X 11kg) fitted by our supplying dealer. Filled for the first time last week. The hob worked, the oven worked (both mid sized gas nozzles) and the fridge worked (smallest nozzle) but the truma hot water and heating kept errroring. Even the external barbecue point wouldn't work (no nozzle almost straight through). Took the van to solar solutions in Dorset who diagnosed the problem as the incorrect regulator and they also fitted 2 X filters to ensure this never happens again. We've sent the bill to the dealer. I notice the system pictured above doesn't have the filters. Not with my van right now but shall I post pictures ? It's a well known problem with LPG as it's a lesser quality gas than traditional bottles with an additive to prevent clogs in the forecourt tanks. The filters catch the clogs and are apparently changed annually.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi There, We have Gaslow on ours. Really good system, just like the one photoed We bought the adapters so we can fill up anywhere in Europe. Word of warning though, the adapters are brass, and being new, the threads are sharp. I fitted one in Germany, and sliced my hands with fine cuts. Make sure you use a pair of working gloves - which I now keep in the gas locker. I always open the locker to check gauges so then see the gloves, then remember to use them. :sneaky:

Andy Martin

Free Member
May 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Just had Gaslow fitted to our motorhome by Autogas2000 near Thirsk, North Yorkshire.
What great service they give. Fitted in about 40 minutes, showed us how to fill using a gas pump.
We now have options, with an 11kg Gaslow and room in the locker for a 6kg Calor/Flogas if we need it.
Funsters get 5% discount on the parts.
Andrew
Went to fill the Gaslow for the 1st time and had problems connecting the nozzle, the guy from the garage came out and told me how to do it correctly, i was on my hands and knees he was pressing the gas flow button, he asked me how much do these take we are up to 30 litres now ! so stopped filling all seems ok, at the time i was thinking 30 litres is 30 kg but was wrong
30 litre lpg weight ? - Google Search
1 L of LPG weighs 0.51 kg.
note we did turn off the 2 gas regulators because when filling the gas can get into them and stop the regulator from working correct.
We use only 1 side so you know when you start the 2nd side this gives you some idea how much is left and when to refill, the bottles are fixed and do not move !!

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Interestingly, we have just had a Gaslow system (2 X 11kg) fitted by our supplying dealer. Filled for the first time last week. The hob worked, the oven worked (both mid sized gas nozzles) and the fridge worked (smallest nozzle) but the truma hot water and heating kept errroring. Even the external barbecue point wouldn't work (no nozzle almost straight through). Took the van to solar solutions in Dorset who diagnosed the problem as the incorrect regulator and they also fitted 2 X filters to ensure this never happens again. We've sent the bill to the dealer. I notice the system pictured above doesn't have the filters. Not with my van right now but shall I post pictures ? It's a well known problem with LPG as it's a lesser quality gas than traditional bottles with an additive to prevent clogs in the forecourt tanks. The filters catch the clogs and are apparently changed annually.
A photo or two of your system would be useful to look at please. (y)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Went to fill the Gaslow for the 1st time and had problems connecting the nozzle, the guy from the garage came out and told me how to do it correctly, i was on my hands and knees he was pressing the gas flow button, he asked me how much do these take we are up to 30 litres now ! so stopped filling all seems ok, at the time i was thinking 30 litres is 30 kg but was wrong
30 litre lpg weight ? - Google Search
1 L of LPG weighs 0.51 kg.
note we did turn off the 2 gas regulators because when filling the gas can get into them and stop the regulator from working correct.
We use only 1 side so you know when you start the 2nd side this gives you some idea how much is left and when to refill, the bottles are fixed and do not move !!
I always have the valves closed when travelling/ refilling.(y)

Hayesdec

Free Member
Sep 26, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot autoquest185
Exp
Hi
I had the gaslow system fitted. Each time I fill up I’m saving money don’t take long to pay for itself. But I would advise anyone not fit the monitors that fit under the gas bottles as they are a waste of money. They work ok but changing the batteries is very difficult as you have to try to lift the gas bottles and some how slide your hand underneath not easy. One of the monitors has stopped working already. Don’t bother…

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Hi
I had the gaslow system fitted. Each time I fill up I’m saving money don’t take long to pay for itself. But I would advise anyone not fit the monitors that fit under the gas bottles as they are a waste of money. They work ok but changing the batteries is very difficult as you have to try to lift the gas bottles and some how slide your hand underneath not easy. One of the monitors has stopped working already. Don’t bother…
I have found the Bluetooth level very good actually and very accurate. Ok to change battery you do need to undo the straps and lift the bottom a bit to get to the magnet Bluetooth kit. So the kit works fine 👍🥃😷

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
I have found the Bluetooth level very good actually and very accurate. Ok to change battery you do need to undo the straps and lift the bottom a bit to get to the magnet Bluetooth kit. So the kit works fine 👍🥃😷
I would agree with fat haggis that the blue tooth level is very good and accurate. I have had a Mopeka Bluetooth level for approximately 18 months and found it to be very good. In that time, I have only needed to change the battery once, and that’s not difficult. Loosen the straps, lift up the gas bottle a bit, put a small piece of wood under the bottle, put your hand under the bottle to remove the sender, then replace the battery. Replacement is as Haynes manuals used to say is the reverse of above

Cheers

Trevor

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi guys, what price are we talking at to fit one or two gaslow bottles? I am finding a real problem getting calor propane bottles and it appears this problem will be around for a while!
I did think about gaslow a while back but thought with less lpg new vehicles on sake
there would be a reducing number of filling stations offering lpg. What does everybody else think?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back