Gaslow filling, is this normal! (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
If you have an AES FRIDGE which is anywhere near the filler point, as mine is, always turn it off as the ignition spark when switching to gas could cause a fire. With your gas turned off you will get a continuous spark.
Spongy

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not normal at all have only had a short psst then nothing more your non return valve in filler and you are releasing any gas in the pipelineto the bottle

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you have an AES FRIDGE which is anywhere near the filler point, as mine is, always turn it off as the ignition spark when switching to gas could cause a fire. With your gas turned off you will get a continuous spark.
Spongy
If driving to a garage to fill the fridge won't ignite for 10 minutes after stopping engine i

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If driving to a garage to fill the fridge won't ignite for 10 minutes after stopping engine i

Sorry, I see this mentioned all the time - but mine changes over to gas as soon as the engine is stopped. Do I have a fault? Nothing has ever gone bang (but my gas filler is on t'other side).

On the other hand using a mobile phone in proximity to an inflammable liquid/gas is definitely a no-no. I once attended a refuellers training course at a major UK supplier and the demonstration of how static electricity (okay it was a staged excessive amount) can ignite petrol fumes was eye-opening. That's why they have signs up in fuel stations!

Anyway about the gas release. I've had different experiences all over Europe and the UK with different pumps. Some have had very little gas release (remember the gas expands to I believe 800, yes 800 times the volume of the liquid so you don't need much) others have been quite a lot, like the video, these latter being UK pumps (with no adapter).

I've looked at the video a couple of times - I think there's just too much rush. The trick is to TAKE YOUR TIME, definitely looked like an element of panic to me. I've never felt the need to wear protective gloves in 10 years but that's my choice and gloves are an excellent idea, especially if you're a bit nervous about it.

But as with everything in a gas installation, if you're unsure GET IT CHECKED by a professional.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry, I see this mentioned all the time - but mine changes over to gas as soon as the engine is stopped. Do I have a fault? Nothing has ever gone bang (but my gas filler is on t'other side).
It will change on the panel but does it try to light straight away ?
There should be a ( roughly ) 10 minute delay before it actually attempts to light

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It will change on the panel but does it try to light straight away ?
There should be a ( roughly ) 10 minute delay before it actually attempts to light

Okay - I'll check it out next time I'm in the van.
After 10 years I'm still finding things out! :nod:

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Try filling up at a different lpg station next time and see if there's any difference.
I had a nervous moment at a garage in Wales, I got the attendant to come and do it for me because something didn't seem quite right to me when I hooked up. It filled ok with the usual whistles but when he disconnected, the nozzle practically flew off the adapter and sent a HUGE cloud of gas right across the forecourt.
Just glad I let him fill it for me ?
It was definitely a dodgy delivery system rather than a problem with our Gaslow system.
Not had the problem since and never used that garage again for lpg.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I think the OP was trying too hard. In his haste he ended up fannying about and prolonged the uncoupling that let the gas escape slowly.
As has been said, calm down, slow down and all will be well?

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
I share your dislike of this.
I’m getting better at it, but I find it hard to relax when doing it.
So, I get my wife to talk me through it, and we’re getting there.
Some garages have old kit that is very slack, and instructions that are a bit vague. Not seen one without the cowl though.
Go through the process, don’t rush, and try not to panic.
Good Luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back