Gaslow changeover valves (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Looking at the Gaslow website, the manual valves appear to be gas specific. I'm hazy about continental gas supplies, but I believe they vary from UK. As we plan to do a lot of continental touring would I need to buy both the propane and butane valves and change them in and out depending on whether we are in the UK or abroad? Seems like a faff. Or just buy an automatic changeover valve, which they say is compatible with either type of gas?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me thinks you or I are misinterpreting the meaning of change over valve
I thought feferance to two gas types was purely down to cylinder fitting ie two different types of fitting.
You appear to be alluding to the type of gas in use.
I may be wrong in assuming that once you have set up with either type Cylinders you can use either type of gas in the set up up you have.
The ref to change over be it manual or automatic simply means when one cylinder is empty the change over to the full cylinder is automatic or you have to manually do it when your gas apliance goes out
I Wonder who got the wrong end of the stick lol

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Are you talking about connection to different type gas cylinders or change over valves for twin cylinders?
if for cylinder changes you can buy different pigtails for use with most of the EU gas cylinders we have a refillable system installed (Gasit) other makes are available on our van so you can just fill up through the built in filler cap like you would for diesel there are lots of LPG pumps at filling stations throughout the EU and although rumours of not so many in UK now we have not experienced not being able to fill upšŸ˜Š
geo quicker typeršŸ¤”šŸ˜‚

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Me thinks you or I are misinterpreting the meaning of change over valve
I thought feferance to two gas types was purely down to cylinder fitting ie two different types of fitting.
You appear to be alluding to the type of gas in use.
I may be wrong in assuming that once you have set up with either type Cylinders you can use either type of gas in the set up up you have.
The ref to change over be it manual or automatic simply means when one cylinder is empty the change over to the full cylinder is automatic or you have to manually do it when your gas apliance goes out
I Wonder who got the wrong end of the stick lol
Well, I expect it's me that's wrong since I know not a lot about it! I understand the difference between auto and manual changeover - I'm not completely daft..... The manual valves state Propane or Butane on the front of the gauge and look identical in the pictures, (in terms of pipe size and thread). I've never seen any variation in the cylinders. Just the one type regardless of what's going in it?

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well at least you are now not alone being slightly hazy
I'm suspecting a write up error or incorrect pic in there blurb
Is it possible that although they look identical they are in fact not
propane is left hand threads and butane right hand threads
they might sell them for use on other cylinders than there own

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Well at least you are now not alone being slightly hazy
I'm suspecting a write up error or incorrect pic in there blurb
Is it possible that although they look identical they are in fact not
propane is left hand threads and butane right hand threads
they might sell them for use on other cylinders than there own
Yeah, hard to really tell from the pictures. The website seems generally reliable though. Maybe I'll just buy the auto changeover. :giggle:

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've got auto changeover on our Gaslow system but do not use it! It seems more sensible to manually change over when one bottle is empty. At least that way you know the bottle is empty but if you let the auto do it you won't necessarily know it's started on the 2nd bottle!

Having said that we just fill up after any longer trip and have never actually emptied one bottle before filling.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Just buy the Propane manual change-over valve....that's what I use. If you use refillable cylinders, the gas will be propane anyway or at least a high proportion of propane.

The manual version (with it's pressure gauge) can also be used for leak detection. I use the leak detection facility quite often to check for leaks in the complete system. Turn on one cylinder to pressurise the system....then turn it off. Wait say 15 minutes. If the pressure indicator moves - you've got a leak.

The automatic system does NOT have the facility for leak detection. Also, there is no way of kmowing when your primary cylinder runs out of gas....unless you regularly check the auto valve.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just buy the Propane manual change-over valve....that's what I use. If you use refillable cylinders, the gas will be propane anyway or at least a high proportion of propane.

The manual version (with it's pressure gauge) can also be used for leak detection. I use the leak detection facility quite often to check for leaks in the complete system. Turn on one cylinder to pressurise the system....then turn it off. Wait say 15 minutes. If the pressure indicator moves - you've got a leak.

The automatic system does NOT have the facility for leak detection. Also, there is no way of kmowing when your primary cylinder runs out of gas....unless you regularly check the auto valve.
On the other hand you don't have to go out at 2am to changeover because the fridge is clicking :giggle:.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years

I believe in the hotter continental countries, it's mainly butane in the mix. What does this mean? Will I need two valves?

Interesting, but perhaps not crucial to my issue.

I was thinking I'd just look at the auto changeover every time I turn the gas on or off, eg. when travelling?

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I believe in the hotter continental countries, it's mainly butane in the mix. What does this mean? Will I need two valves?

Interesting, but perhaps not crucial to my issue.

I was thinking I'd just look at the auto changeover every time I turn the gas on or off, eg. when travelling?

I think the main reason why Gaslow sell both a propane and butane manual changeover valve is because propane operates at a higher pressure. Therefore, the pressure gauge is calibrated for the type of gas used.

I've noticed that after several fill-ups in mainland Europe (where they use a mix of propane/butane in the hotter countries) my pressure gauge shows a lower reading, indicating a higher proportion of butane. I now fill-up at least once a year in UK where the propane mix is 100% or thereabouts. My pressure gauge now indicates a complete "Green" segment. Another good reason for having the manual changeover valve :LOL:

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I also read that when you fill up the system tries to fill both bottles and if you continually have one bottle full it will become over the 80% safety margin so, I will go for the manual changeover and swap bottle in use each fill up. :unsure:

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
The reason for propane and butane change over valves is purely which pigtails will be fitted. the change over valves are not exclusive to motor homes and refillables they are also used in domestic and commercial applications Both gasses run at the same pressure nowdays

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I also read that when you fill up the system tries to fill both bottles and if you continually have one bottle full it will become over the 80% safety margin so, I will go for the manual changeover and swap bottle in use each fill up. :unsure:
When refilling one or both Gaslow cylinders each cylinder will cut off filling when it's 80% full so I just keep filling until the garage 'pump' cuts out. I've usually had one full cylinder when I fill/top up the other one and never had any issues.
When refilling, the outlet taps of both cylinders should be closed.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When refilling one or both Gaslow cylinders each will cut off filling when 80% full so I just keep filling until the garage 'pump' cuts out. I've usually had one full cylinder when I fill/top up the other one and never had any issues.
When refilling, the outlet taps of both cylinders should be closed.
Totally agree. If you restart the pump once it has cut of by releasing then pressing the button it is possible to put an extra trickle in but given that 80% is governed by an imprecise mechanical float valve I think one can assume a substantial safety margin. On top of that the 20% room for expansion is there for worst case of intense summer heat and a newly-filled bottle / tank.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back