Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I understand that this subject has probably done to death, BUT I haven't been with you for long.
I have a twin small bottle Gaslow system in my van and I found out when I got home from Lincoln today found that I was low on gas in the second cylinder. This has been turned off at the tap and I thought it to be full from the last fill.
I have bought a level sensor at the show, and it shows that the level is only three inches up from the base on that cylinder and nearly empty on the open cylinder that was being used. I went to the Gas station in Dover to fill up and it took 10 litres to fill but the second cylinder is still empty, the level is the same, the in use cylinder is almost full. Is it possible that the float shutoff valve has stuck closed and would a drop or bang move it? Alternatively do I need to push the garage pump button for longer if it only puts in at 10 litres at a time and it had not had long enough for a second pump. I am confused as I thought the filling system MUST fill both together as they are connected together to the inlet. Do I need to get another bottle? I need to know about this as I have to run the heating off the system when I go about in winter. Wifey suffers from the cold and refuses to get up if it is cold.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Both bottles should fill yes. I doubt the shut off would stop the filling prematurely. The LPG pump requires you to keep the delivery button pressed, the pump will stop automatically OR if you release the button

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pushing the button for longer won't make any difference as it will cut off when the valve in the cylinder thinks the 80% fill has been reached and shuts off the bottle, thus preventing any more gas going in - pressing it again won't therefore have any effect.

I wonder if there is a kink in the hose to the second bottle which is preventing gas going into it, or a blockage of some sort - if possible I'd be tempted to detach the fill hose from the main bottle and attach it to the second one and see if you can fill it, if so then it would seem that the problem lies with the hose connecting the two bottles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And do not be 100% reliant on those level indicators !

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
BTW 2X 6kg bottles will take 24 litres to fill from empty. If you put 10 litres in do you think you might have had 14 litres to start with?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Sometimes they get air locked.
If you empty the problem one it may fill next time.
Also I suppose the shut off float could have stuck. If you gently bang the bottle ( rubber mallet type gently ) this may also work.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The float cannot hold back high pressure liquid coming in until the liquid is below it pushing it up.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Sorry to jack the thread but isn't it best to only have one bottle active. The when that runs out you switch to new full bottle ? I'm trying to gather info on these types of system myself Gaslow, gasit,etc.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The position of the bottle valves open/closed has no bearing on filling. Both bottles are directly connected and each has it's own non return valve and 80% shut off.

BTW the filling instructions say you should close both valves before filling

EDIT see the BIG RED OVAL at the bottom
Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the 80% shut off valves do play up . they are crap. i know a few that have had to have their bottles changed because of this problem .
but i must say they do change them with no fuss.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
the 80% shut off valves do play up . they are crap. i know a few that have had to have their bottles changed because of this problem .
That being the case Gaslow will replace it without quibble, just a pity that it has manifested after a show as they would have fixed it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry to jack the thread but isn't it best to only have one bottle active. The when that runs out you switch to new full bottle ? I'm trying to gather info on these types of system myself Gaslow, gasit,etc.

Some people like to use keep one closed as you have suggested and then only open it when the first cylinder is empty, thus at that point you know you need to fill up in the not too distant future, others just rely on the gauges and leave both cylinders open. We actually ONLY have one 11kg bottle so don't have that to worry about! I managed to fit an 11kg bottle into the gas locker which was supposed to only take two 6kg ones ...

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The issue of an air lock as mentioned by aba is a possibility if you hear me out.
This condition is only reported as a first fill anomaly BUT if you have never had that bottle in service from day one it could well be that it never filled up first time around and has remained airlocked. To alleviate this you would have to close the bottle you normally use and put the iffy bottle into service to release the air and confirm by lighting the gas.
A subsequent attempt at filling ought to be ok if that has been the case.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
BTW 2X 6kg bottles will take 24 litres to fill from empty. If you put 10 litres in do you think you might have had 14 litres to start with?

It was the fact that I only got ten litres in that made me check the levels, both taps were closed on the outlets and the 2nd bottles even sounds empty. There are no apparent kinks or damage to anything it just does not seem to in that cylinder, I will change open taps and see how much comes out of the other bottle. The set is seven years old but not used a lot, once a year, for a fortnight, by the previous owner.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Carefull when you undo the hoses there could be some very cold liquid gas in there.

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back