Gaslow and Calor Gas together (1 Viewer)

Peterd

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
I have a 2008 Adria Twin with 2 bottles, one large Gaslow and one red Calor Gas. They are linked but I am not sure what to do as the Calor Gas bottle doesn't have 'Propane' written on it. The Gaslow bottle is refillable but what about the Calor Gas bottle. There is external fill up connector
Can anyone help please. I have looked on YouTube but have not found the answer to this problem

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
The gas low is designed to be filled by a lpg pump, it has a cut off valve which prevents overfilling. The red propane calor bottle should only be exchanged for a full one at a supplier. Do not under any circumstances attempt to have the Calor one refilled. The gas low valve shuts it off at 80% capacity preventing liquid from entering the gas supply to the van. The Calor doesn’t and could cause fire or explosions. You will know doub’t get all the clever smart people who will tell you you can refill it in spite of the fact it’s illegal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Peterd

Peterd

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Many thanks. I now know the answer which is of course the one you have given.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The external fill will only connect to the Gaslow bottle, the Calor is only there for a backup if the Gaslow runs out.
If you are a heavy gas user it would be worth fitting a second refillable.

OP
OP
Peterd

Peterd

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
I will not be attempting to fill the Calor Gas, preferring to take the if in doubt route

OP
OP
Peterd

Peterd

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Is it easy to add another Gaslow bottle? Should I get a professional to do it if I can source a reasonable 6kg second hand bottle

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is it easy to add another Gaslow bottle? Should I get a professional to do it if I can source a reasonable 6kg second hand bottle
If you can use a spanner it's easy, just make sure you check for leaks after the install. you can use an aerosol spray leak checker or a gas sniffer.

I always carry a Honeywell EZ sense sniffer.
Amazon product ASIN B008ASXV8W

OP
OP
Peterd

Peterd

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Can I add a Gas It tank instead of a Gaslow as I see they are said to be refillable propane?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
gas-it, gaslow or alugas, all can be connected alongside each other without issues

OP
OP
Peterd

Peterd

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Many thanks to you all. Used Gaslow bottles appear to be much more expensive than Gas It so needed to ask.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The "red calor" bottle you have, I don't suppose it's a gasit bottle? Does it definitely state "calor", on the bottle?

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Unless you are a heavy user just use the refillable when it runs out switch to calor, fill the tank switch back again. Then when you are nearly at the end of that particular break run the calor down so you start off with a full one next time.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We have just returned from a 10 night stopover, off grid. We have good solar, but need gas for fridge, cooking etc, we have an oven which we use. As the weather has been good, we used no heating. We have 2x 6kg gaslow and filled up just before our 10 days. Refilled and took 11 litres. So on average just over 1 litre a day. The second tank was turned off. The gauge was just showing red when we turned the gas off to leave. Your larger tank should be OK for at least 15 days, with some hot water and some heating. As has been said use the calor as a back up, and top up the gaslow after each stopover of a few days. Chances are you may never use the calor. But a good back up. (y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If this is of any interest for those with the old propane 37Mb regulators.

I inherited a MH with a 37Mb regulator which will screw directly onto my Gaslow and the Calor propane. So changeover is easy, but with a 11kg Gaslow in 11 years we have never had to revert to the Calor back-up.

SUPPLEMENTARY TOPIC

Are 37Mb regulators still available? I ask as I do not have a spare and if mine failed it would be a faff to install a 30Mb bulkhead and attendant supplemantary pipes.

If they are available sources for them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Geoff

OP
OP
Peterd

Peterd

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Just bought a refillable 11kg bottle and need to add it to existing set up after removing Calor Gas propane bottle. Anyone know of a good YouTube "how to" video or one on this site that shows clearly how to connect the new tank? I think I will need a new pipe and connector/s and obviously need to be sure.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Just bought a refillable 11kg bottle and need to add it to existing set up after removing Calor Gas propane bottle. Anyone know of a good YouTube "how to" video or one on this site that shows clearly how to connect the new tank? I think I will need a new pipe and connector/s and obviously need to be sure.

You could just use a POL adapter to connect it. Thats all I use

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Just in the process of buying new adria twin, salesman said best to have gaslow, my question it is a £1000 extra to fit or can have one gaslow and one swap a bottle can you have the two on the switch over , with having to go outside when one is empty. Thanks for any help in advance, I’m a total techno phone on these matters

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back